Opinion Where's Nahas at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Collins and Ben Nason , 2010 season when both incidentally kicked more goals than NAhas .

perhaps a little disclaimer in there, that they must kick more than 15g to qualify for an exemption on next years routing:confused: Nahas has kicked a respectable >30 last 2 seasons...More than can be said for any of his rivals for a forward line spot

No wonder, with...

Damaged posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee against Collingwood in round 2

Broken wrist against Port in round 6

Broken thumb and severed ligaments against the Swans in round 7

Fractured cheekbone against GWS in round 12

Broken his right foot against Fremantle in round 21

Add an adductor release on the left side of his groin for good measure.

Understand that, but my point is Nahas was hardly poor. He had a good year!

Everyone puts Aaron Edwards in our best 22? Geez, I hope not, I only want to see him of Jack or Vickery go down and even then I think we have better options.

Nahas needs to find his 2011 form again where he was playing up the ground and creating our forward movements.

Everyone puts Aaron Edwards in our best 22? Geez, I hope not, I only want to see him of Jack or Vickery go down and even then I think we have better options.

Nahas needs to find his 2011 form again where he was playing up the ground and creating our forward movements.

you happy with only two tall forwards (I know Edwards isn't strictly speaking a tall, but that is how he plays his footy)

Edwards IMO buys us time for Elton to get his mojo going. We can move Ty from third tall to CHF, and have Edwards play the third tall role.

you happy with only two tall forwards (I know Edwards isn't strictly speaking a tall, but that is how he plays his footy)

Edwards IMO buys us time for Elton to get his mojo going. We can move Ty from third tall to CHF, and have Edwards play the third tall role.

Astbury? I think 2 talls is enough. We already have a very tall defense. I think Jack and Vickery is fine with our smalls, remember Cotchin, Dusty, Lids and even Tuck rest up there and all of them play tall.

People are seriously under rating Aaron Edwards. He is an upgrade on anything we currently have in the medium forward role by a long way. There wasn't any room for him at North with their forward structure. Dimma has already said he sees him as best 22 anyway.

Different player / position

Riewoldt/Vickery - Tall KPF
Edwards Medium foward (184cm)

Edwards will be competing with King/Nahas/Petterd/Knights/O'Hanlon for 1 of the small/Medium foward spots

I like Nahas and I think it's a great story to see him make it in the AFL.

Ideally you'd like to see him replaced from the team because let's face it he's tiny and that can be a liability in today's game. But having said that, what more does he have to do to earn his spot? The fact is even the haters have to agree that we don't (or at least, didn't) have anyone to replace him with.

One other thing about him is that if he gets it within 40m of goal the opposition s**t themselves because he is damn tricky to catch and a good chance of snagging a goal. You don't build a team around such a player, but he's a nice little extra to have up our sleeve. As my dad says about John Northey when he was playing. On a good day he'd get 5 kicks. And all of them would be goals.

He might not start on the ground but I think there's room for him coming off the bench and swapping with King or Edwards.

With any player there are those people who think
A) player x will improve,
B) player x wont improve but are happy with the level they are at,
C) then there is those that think that player x is playing above himself and is pulling the wool over everyone
D) The player is simply a dud.

I think Nahas can improve with experience and confidence. With the added depth and competition for spots I'm sure we will get our forward line going with or with out him, but at this stage he starts round one if fit. He has enough points in the bank.

Different player / position

Riewoldt/Vickery - Tall KPF
Edwards Medium foward (184cm)

Edwards will be competing with King/Nahas/Petterd/Knights/O'Hanlon for 1 of the small/Medium foward spots

Maybe he is their height but he plays as a KPF. We will be too top heavy with him, watch the ball waltz out of our forward line once it hits the deck if those 3 are up there together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps we could try Nahas off half back. I have been struggling to fit him into our 22, but Nahas at HBF could work. He is quite skilful and he can give us some pace out of defence. Could be the next chris yarran. Thoughts?

He'd get out marked all day , Plus he cant keep his feet. No thanks ! Forward only with small bursts on the ball.

Perhaps we could try Nahas off half back. I have been struggling to fit him into our 22, but Nahas at HBF could work. He is quite skilful and he can give us some pace out of defence. Could be the next chris yarran. Thoughts?

not a snow flakes chance in hell. just not skilled enough by foot.

just watching some matches from '12 season and he's a standout in many of the games

robbie is very fast and aggressive, puts his head over the footy and can kick a goal..30 odd in a season is pretty good.

i said in 2011 that nahas would be traded or delisted by now, i usually get things right but how wrong i was with that call, by an absolute mile.

What i really like about nahas is he has the rare ability to make something of nothing, he can often kick the goal that breaks the opposition run, can break lines and when his cnfidence is up, seriously inflict some damage. And i havent mentioned he is bloody courageous. Fr mine he is a mile ahead of what kingy contributes to the side, and im a kingy fan

What i really like about nahas is he has the rare ability to make something of nothing, he can often kick the goal that breaks the opposition run, can break lines and when his cnfidence is up, seriously inflict some damage. And i havent mentioned he is bloody courageous. Fr mine he is a mile ahead of what kingy contributes to the side, and im a kingy fan

having watched Robin throughout his career at Port Melbourne and then with the tiges, I am confident that with a better structured FL in the way of talls, his best has yet to be seen in tiger colours. Yeah his defensive pressure re his pace etc is up and he has built a tank to be able to keep his name in the firing line, seeing that has his height you really need to be part of the mid rotations now, but have seen him tear defences apart in the VFL with his opportunism and tipping when he gains confidence in his tall forwards competing and bringing the ball down to the ground, he will have a party and be as lethal if not more than the likes of Betts and dare i say it the tip rat at the aints.. Nahas is a natural attack minded get the ball through the big sticks type player. The best part of his AFL career has been spent chasing and harrassing defences, sacrificing his strength for the good of the team. Time for him to show the tigerheads and the AFL how good he is when he sniffs a goal, like he was back when we deemed him good enough to recruit.

And he has an amazing nack of getting out of heavy traffic and pin-pointing a pass on the outside of both feet. Not sure why the hate from so many, but he is my favourite little forward since Naish.

And on Kingy, often just passed over, but he is the brains of the forward structure. The general who organises much like Newie in the back half. Apparently he has a terrific footy brain and potential coach in the making. He brings more to the "team" than his numbers show.

I would be extremely suprised to see Tuck,King,Newman,Nahas in the Tiger colours beyond 2014.

Problem with Nahas is that he doesnt have express pace or dual sided and also not big or strong enough - Thats way too many things against him imo, we constantly see betts & Milne kicking 4-5-6 goals a game where nahas is a 1-2-3 goals a game small.

For me unless he has a good input in the midfield he really needs to kick 3-4-5 goals regularly

I would be extremely suprised to see Tuck,King,Newman,Nahas in the Tiger colours beyond 2014.

Problem with Nahas is that he doesnt have express pace or dual sided and also not big or strong enough - Thats way too many things against him imo, we constantly see betts & Milne kicking 4-5-6 goals a game where nahas is a 1-2-3 goals a game small.

For me unless he has a good input in the midfield he really needs to kick 3-4-5 goals regularly

Milne is the exception as he is one of the all time great small forwards. This year Betts had a good year but career wise-

Nahas- Betts​
Career - Career​
77 Games 166​
8.2 Kicks Per Game 7.0​
6.9 Handballs Per Game 4.8​
15.1 Disposals Per Game 11.7​
3.4 Marks Per Game 2.9​
1.3 Goals Per Game 1.6​
0.8 Behinds Per Game 0.9​
4.1 Tackles Per Game 3.1​
1.1 Frees For Per Game 0.8​
0.8 Frees Against Per Game 0.5​
The little big man needs more recognition. I'm sure Dimma appreciates his worth.​

Agree Bo and I'd just like to go a bit further with that and add. That that ability can just add that bit extra pressure on back man and who knows what that might bring. I look forward to seeing what Robbie and Kingy and sheds can do in the forward line with other big guys in there like TV and others crashing packs,creating a target and contesting stronger in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back