Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Crows have a problem developing their youth, esp KPP's ?

Thilthorpe and McAsey haven't come on/developed as expected or hoped.

Where exactly were you expecting Thilthorpe to be by now? It’s his second year and he’s ahead of JUH and McDonald who would be the fairest comparisons.

You’ve also neglected to mention Butts who’s one of the better young key defenders going around.

Where exactly were you expecting Thilthorpe to be by now? It’s his second year and he’s ahead of JUH and McDonald who would be the fairest comparisons.

You’ve also neglected to mention Butts who’s one of the better young key defenders going around.

Yeah fair enough, I think you need to keep playing Thilthorpe in the seniors and not keep dropping him to the SANFL.

I have no idea where Darcy Forgarty is at. Has to be one of the most frustrating and enigmatic players I have seen for a while.

I thoroughly enjoy when people do this in an attempt to make somebody look stupid, but are also too ignorant or impatient to read the entire post they are quoting.

Re-read my original post.

In the same way that suggesting Jason Horne-Francis has similarities to Patrick Dangerfield or Gary Ablett isn't suggesting he'll automatically be a Brownlow medalist or the best player in the game in 5 years time. He simply offers a comparative skillset that very few other under 21's in the competition do.

Name me one other 20 year old in the AFL aside from Jai Newcombe who has the game style and physical makeup that compares to Christian Petracca? I used Sam Powell-Pepper as an example also because he also offers a similar role despite being nowhere near the level of Petracca.

The context was to explain that some clubs require that type of player, while others would be better suited to the dynamic and silkier Tom Powell. It doesn't mean either are the next Bont or Trac. Few will be.
Your post should have stopped at Newcombe & Powell-Pepper. Mentioning Trac and Newcombe in the same sentence is next level Dominic.

Thilthorpe? Settle down sailor.

Kid is a star, who’s been dropped in his second year. Just like JUH & McDonald (who has been dropped today actually). I’m sure big Harry was dropped in his first couple years also.

Your post should have stopped at Newcombe & Powell-Pepper. Mentioning Trac and Newcombe in the same sentence is next level Dominic.
Over Your Head Dodge GIF by Jeremy Speed Schwartz

He's played 8 career games. We don't know his ceiling yet.

Regardless of that, I'll re-post the first sentence of my original post.
'I need to preface this by saying I'm not suggesting he'll develop into anywhere near the same quality of player'

Horne-Francis gets Danger and Ablett comparisons all the time. We want these boys to fulfil their full potential and become stars of the game. Would it be better to not get ahead of ourselves and suggest JHF could become the equal of Tim Taranto instead? A quality mid who can impact a game, accumulate, lay a fierce tackle and be dangerous around goal?
JHF will get those comparisons to Danger and Ablett for showing glimpses of similar attributes.

If Newcombe becomes a 12 year, 200+ game player for Hawthorn with similar attributes to Petracca then we have plenty to look forward to, even if he never comes close to being a multiple All Australian, Norm Smith medalist and potential Brownlow medalist. A player like Christian Petracca is a rare commodity.

Yeah fair enough, I think you need to keep playing Thilthorpe in the seniors and not keep dropping him to the SANFL.

I have no idea where Darcy Forgarty is at. Has to be one of the most frustrating and enigmatic players I have seen for a while.

I think it’s always a tricky one as to whether you keep throwing a young kid in the deep end until they swim or if you send them back to the magoos to work on their weaknesses. I don’t see there being a problem either way however as his talent is clear and from all reports his work ethic is really good. I’d probably prefer he stays in the senior team at least until Walker returns as Himmelberg is clearly not gonna make it in my view but I don’t think it’s a massive issue either way.

Fogarty is such a tough one, he continually shows glimpses that he can be a really damaging forward but it’s still just glimpses, and he’s getting to the age where that’s not enough. I don’t know if it’s a fitness issue or maybe he’s just not good enough but I guess time will tell.

I thoroughly enjoy when people do this in an attempt to make somebody look stupid, but are also too ignorant or impatient to read the entire post they are quoting.

Re-read my original post.

In the same way that suggesting Jason Horne-Francis has similarities to Patrick Dangerfield or Gary Ablett isn't suggesting he'll automatically be a Brownlow medalist or the best player in the game in 5 years time. He simply offers a comparative skillset that very few other under 21's in the competition do.

Name me one other 20 year old in the AFL aside from Jai Newcombe who has the game style and physical makeup that compares to Christian Petracca? I used Sam Powell-Pepper as an example also because he also offers a similar role despite being nowhere near the level of Petracca.

The context was to explain that some clubs require that type of player, while others would be better suited to the dynamic and silkier Tom Powell. It doesn't mean either are the next Bont or Trac. Few will be.
Number 1 picks always get this kind of hype rightly or wrongly and it is on the back of junior footy.

Can we all just let players like Newcombe, who is playing well and looks good, get through a couple of seasons before comparing him to one of, if not the best player in the league. I like Newcombe but it is such a small sample size to make the leap to Petracca. It is not an exact science but I think it is a lot clearer what players will become after 50 or so games. I guess they are physically similar at the same age (Petracca a bit heavier) but that's it from what I have seen. Again, largely that is because Newcombe has only played 8 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I need to preface this by saying I'm not suggesting he'll develop into anywhere near the same quality of player, but Newcombe is as similar to Christian Petracca as any young player in the competition.

Massive body despite not being super tall.
Ability to play inside mid or creative forward.
Explosive away from the contest.
Footy smarts.

His ceiling may of course be closer to Sam Powell Pepper (handy without being a star) however it's a unique skillset and one that isn't as common as the type of midfielder Powell is. As a result, 'who would you rather' is incredibly difficult to answer. May list depend on a particular clubs list need.
What you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no likes, and may God have mercy on your soul.

What you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no likes, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Thilthorpe is fine, but McAsey was just the wrong pick imo. The best key defender in a poor draft for key position players, looked great because he didn't really have any challenging match ups.

One thing about McAsey is that he's not quick, or explosive. Kinda need those qualities as a key defender particularly against modern talls like McKay and the King brothers.

Crows have had some misses early and that has definetly slowed the rebuild, mcasey, Fogarty,jones,mchenry are role players at best for early picks.
Adelaide are strange in that they always seem to nail their later picks but have thrown away their first rounders taking players way before any other club would be considering it.

Thread has been around a lot longer then your account & doesn't need your running commentary. If you don't want to engage in the discussion, sod off.
This is a discussion?! Im with theBigHorne, this thread is embarrassing for all concerned. Myself included because I've been drawn in.

Relax friend, no need to take yourself so seriously.

Well after reading this board all off season about the Hawk guns, have to say Dominic03 was right.

Loved the work of young Gunston in rounds 1 and 2, made a real difference to the side. Also thought young Sicily had a real impact.
Pity the Hawks didn't hire Ross Lyon as coach. Hawks would be a more attacking side LoL

Adelaide are strange in that they always seem to nail their later picks but have thrown away their first rounders taking players way before any other club would be considering it.

We've only done that twice in the last decade. Doedee worked and Pedlar should with time if he can get his body right.

We've ran into more trouble following convention with players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back