Analysis Which team out of Essendon, Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the best youth?

• Essendon

• Adelaide

• Hawthorn

• North

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

not counting D'ambrosio and Davey who have played AFL fairly well, Davey the 2nd, Munkara and Hayes that haven't yet. and Baldwin...who i suspect will be in our backline soon.

depth is there. we also have all our picks this year.
I like Massimo, should be playing imo, his kicking and pace is a real asset.

Davey twins good talents, Munkara too. Baldwin looked ok down back but don’t see a spot for him.

It’s not bad depth but compared to Hawthorn again (easier because I know more about them) the depth of talent is clear at both AFL and VFL.

I have maintained right throughout this thread that Hawthorn in particular have forced themselves to play the youth because the senior players are just not there.. Essendon has some senior players hence a guy like Harrison Jones (when fit) was a #2/#3 fwd, Hobbs/Caldwell are 3rd/4th string mids because of Parish/Merrett.
i don't mind our list profile.
we really need a CHF.

I have maintained right throughout this thread that Hawthorn in particular have forced themselves to play the youth because the senior players are just not there.. Essendon has some senior players hence a guy like Harrison Jones (when fit) was a #2/#3 fwd, Hobbs/Caldwell are 3rd/4th string mids because of Parish/Merrett.
Id rather play DGB than Frost, Butler/Brockman than Wingard etc the fact is the youth is simply better however we need experience to guide them. Although those two aren’t in particular needed and I think we can do with just Sicily, Impey & Amon for example. + Breust.

and that is why im not going to bother arguing because you, me, anyone else in this stupid thread will skew what ever stat they want to suit ones own argument.

The only stat that matters to anyone is premiership points. One can argue that Essendon who has a younger list than Sydney, or Richmond or GWS or Geelong etc. They don't care. They care about how there team is going to win theft this year

On that not, im out

You're out because you know it's a dumb argument that premiership points is all that counts when determining youth in a team.

I guess then Hawthorn in 2005 finished 3rd last on the ladder, that must be that Buddy, Hodge, Mitchell, Roughy, Lewis, Sewell, Young, Brown were no good youth players too.

The Pies who were second last that year, they had Swan, Maxwell, Didak, Davis and Lumumba were also trash youth too, right?

You're out because you know it's a dumb argument that premiership points is all that counts when determining youth in a team.

I guess then Hawthorn in 2005 finished 3rd last on the ladder, that must be that Buddy, Hodge, Mitchell, Roughy, Lewis, Sewell, Young, Brown were no good youth players too.

The Pies who were second last that year, they had Swan, Maxwell, Didak, Davis and Lumumba were also trash youth too, right?
Im saying that the proviso Dominic03 is using is that Hawthorn is good because they are young is stupid.

That. Is. All

Im saying that the proviso Dominic03 is using is that Hawthorn is good because they are young is stupid.

That. Is. All
My reason isn’t because we are young means we are good or that we are good because we are young. You’re misunderstanding.

And it ain’t ours.
Uh Huh Sure GIF

It’s not bad depth but compared to Hawthorn again (easier because I know more about them) the depth of talent is clear at both AFL and VFL.

So to confirm; Hawthorn sitting in 16th has better depth of talent compared to sides higher above them on the ladder?

Good to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So to confirm; Hawthorn sitting in 16th has better depth of talent compared to sides higher above them on the ladder?

Good to know.
No Owen. Depth of youth. Which is the thread discussion. Rather than just a general talent perspective.

You know this too.

No Owen. Depth of youth. Which is the thread discussion. Rather than just a general talent perspective.

You know this too.

But it's not a competition about which side has the most young players, it's about which side has good young players, or as the thread title asks 'who has the better youth'.

No one talks about 'depth of talent' amongst their 33 year olds.

So we're back to Hawthorn in 16th having better AFL and VFL depth of talent (or, good young players, or better youth) than sides above them on the ladder according to * checks notes * a Hawthorn supporter.

But it's not a competition about which side has the most young players, it's about which side has good young players, or as the thread title asks 'who has the better youth'.

So we're back to Hawthorn in 16th having better AFL and VFL depth of talent (or, good young players, or better youth) than sides above them on the ladder according to * checks notes * a Hawthorn supporter.
It isn’t a competition. It’s a fun discussion!

You know this too.
I would have thought it was about quality of youth rather than quantity.
More difficult for youth to break into contending sides, so those that do and can retain their position are already of higher quality.

This debate seems like an easy one to nut out.

Is depth usually a discussion around volume?

You could just write a table of the 4 teams and list all players that should qualify as 'good young players'.

It isn’t a competition. It’s a fun discussion!

You're not really discussing though; you're comparing everything to Hawthorn and telling everyone Hawthorn is better, despite Adelaide currently sitting 9 ladder positions and 45% higher whilst still fielding a very young side (they had 17 players with < 100 games played on the weekend, Hawthorn had 18).

You're not really discussing though; you're comparing everything to Hawthorn and telling everyone Hawthorn is better, despite Adelaide currently sitting 9 ladder positions and 45% higher whilst still fielding a very young side (they had 17 players with < 100 games played on the weekend, Hawthorn had 18).
I’m doing my part, it’s just fun to talk about it and trying to get more of a discussion going.

It isn’t a “my team is better because I say so” it’s more so natural that Hawthorn are easier to view with youth because it is prioritised.

It’s a different strategy than Adelaide & Essendon. But doesn’t make either a wrong one. Adelaide for example, are poised for finals runs and will continue adding talent through drafts which is needed but also free agency mature talent.

Hawthorn is more so at the draft, draft stage. Although there’ll be a lot more free agency action this off season and onwards if MMs comments are anything to go by.

Adelaide have a lot of good quality youth, their forwardline is extremely exciting, but they have a fair lot of unsung talent with McHenry, Sholl even Jones at times. Because Rankine, Rachele, Soligo, Fogarty, Pedlar and Michalanney dominate the headlines and talking points.

I’m happy to talk about all four clubs talents because they’re all filled with quality talents, but all four clubs are different and that’s the fun thing about football.

Although I’ll probably dial it down a fair bit with my own comments due to an irl thing and my future.

Hopefully this got across 🙌

That. Is. All

No, no. I'm replying to what you said. Premiership points is the only important thing when determining youth. Own up to it.

What you said NOW, is totally different to your previous post.

If premiership points are the only important metric and we’re talking depth of youth, a quick look at the VFL ladder tells me that Hawthorn and North have the better group.

Sorry, not sorry.

Just had a look at players aged 25 and under for total coaches votes for 2023 for each team:

Hawthorn 109
Essendon 105
North 81
Adelaide 79

Surprised to see Essendon so high.. Nic Martin (22) 27 votes and Ridley and Draper who are 25 years old have 19 and 13 respectively.

Back