Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the time we needed to replace Talia & had no quality young key defenders.

As it turns out we did better picking up both Butts & Murray via rookie list... which if we had known in hindsight would pick up Young, Serong or preferably de Koning.
Not trying to Potshot your club....

But hindsight is 20/20.

That would of been a nice young core. of at least one gun tall defender, one tall forward/ ruck and one elite mid.

It sucked that Talia was getting old and had to be replaced and Lever bailed out of your mob. SO essentially replacing 2 tall key defenders around the same time.

Well tilthorpe is both a ruck and a forward.

Rielly O Brien is about to hit his prime years.
Yes but Thilthorpe can’t be both at once, especially once Walker goes.

Many rucks are still improving at 27.
I’m not convinced ROB is one of them. I think he gets the most out of himself as a solid but not spectacular ruck.

I think the Crows are a long way from a premiership spine.

Yes but Thilthorpe can’t be both at once, especially once Walker goes.

Many rucks are still improving at 27.
I’m not convinced ROB is one of them. I think he gets the most out of himself as a solid but not spectacular ruck.

I think the Crows are a long way from a premiership spine.

I never said ROB will be an elite ruck.

But rucks are funny players. Start Slowly but are good from the ages of 25-35.

I think Reilly O Brien is underrated and would be a starting ruck in at least 2 or 3 vic sides, possibly 4.

Not expecting him to get a flag at the crows, definately a few finals.

But I agree, long way from a premiership spine, let alone a finals spine

+ Sheezel, Wardlaw, George

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Some bloody unreal drafts from both North & Hawthorn.

North getting in two top 5 talents & George.

Wardlaw, Sheezel & George.

all bringing something exciting, Wardlaw that tough inside mid with explosive pace, competitive nature, but also very skillful.

Sheezel that crafty xfactor forward who can play through the middle, with dazzling skill & George is similar to that in a explosive powerful fwd/mid who just makes you wanna keep your eyes on the game.

-
Hawthorn getting in two first round talents with Hustwaite aswell who was seen as a talent around 15-20.

MacKenzie, Weddle & Hustwaite.

all bring something exciting again with, MacKenzie super balanced midfielder who's a stoppage beast but is explosive and super evasive with beautiful skills.

Weddle is an absolute freak of nature being 192cm but rapid quick and a super endurance athlete, good skills, very good aerially with a great leap, nightmare matchup as a wing/mid.

Hustwaite as that 195cm big midfielder, compared to Pendlebury because he's that super composed & skillful midfielder, he's tall and has decent pace but he's just able to slow everyone else down and makes the right decisions, was one of the best contested mids in the NAB League.

-
Adelaide didn't bring in much, traded in late for Dowling who's a really good accumulator and a pretty good size and will add something to that Adelaide future midfield.

all bringing something exciting, Wardlaw that tough inside mid with explosive pace, competitive nature, but also very skillful.

Sheezel that crafty xfactor forward who can play through the middle, with dazzling skill & George is similar to that in a explosive powerful fwd/mid who just makes you wanna keep your eyes on the game.

-
Hawthorn getting in two first round talents with Hustwaite aswell who was seen as a talent around 15-20.

all bring something exciting again with, MacKenzie super balanced midfielder who's a stoppage beast but is explosive and super evasive with beautiful skills.

Weddle is an absolute freak of nature being 192cm but rapid quick and a super endurance athlete, good skills, very good aerially with a great leap, nightmare matchup as a wing/mid.

Hustwaite as that 195cm big midfielder, compared to Pendlebury because he's that super composed & skillful midfielder, he's tall and has decent pace but he's just able to slow everyone else down and makes the right decisions, was one of the best contested mids in the NAB League.

-
Adelaide didn't bring in much, traded in late for Dowling who's a really good accumulator and a pretty good size and will add something to that Adelaide future midfield.
I wont comment on Hawks and Crows draft picks this season.

As for North, we all knew North Melbourne were going to use picks 2 and 3 on victorian kids.

Like North were going to use those picks on non vic again after the JHF situation

-

-

You just can't help yourself can you?

Foxfooty had every one of those kids drafted as sensational players. Comparing each one to a superstar. Comical. Hustwaite??? It's a joke right?

North did very well. I wouldn't be putting Hawthorn's draft anywhere close.

Every club has drafted players with great right-ups. Fact is most will be average footballers at best. Particularly anything above the first dozen. Add to that this was considered a very light draft, and it will look even worse for this crop.

But obviously early, however, on the surface, North had a great couple of nights.

Foxfooty had every one of those kids drafted as sensational players. Comparing each one to a superstar. Comical. Hustwaite??? It's a joke right?

Every club has drafted players with great right-ups. Fact is most will be average footballers at best. Particularly anything above the first dozen. Add to that this was considered a very light draft, and it will look even worse for this crop.

But obviously early, however, on the surface, North had a great couple of nights.
Stop being so negative, its so draining and narcissistic to think that your negative opinion carries any weight and you feel the need to have a go at anyone and anything

Let people talk up their draft picks and have hope for them

They haven't critised anyone, had a go at anyone, and you just want to jump down people throats

This was the whole issue last pre season of people just attacking each other for months

I wont comment on Hawks and Crows draft picks this season.

As for North, we all knew North Melbourne were going to use picks 2 and 3 on victorian kids.

Like North were going to use those picks on non vic again after the JHF situation
Besides Ashcroft (who we bid on) was there a non Vic player that was better than the 2 we picked?

Stop being so negative, its so draining and narcissistic to think that your negative opinion carries any weight and you feel the need to have a go at anyone and anything

Let people talk up their draft picks and have hope for them

They haven't critised anyone, had a go at anyone, and you just want to jump down people throats

This was the whole issue last pre season of people just attacking each other for months
You seem disappointed.

How about acknowledging one club seems to have picked up some exceptional talent and leave it at that, rather than throw in your club had just a good draft when they clearly didn't? It's not being negative at all. It's called 'balance'. Show me where I have a go at anyone and anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you compare a player (draftee) to a player, it’s how they play, not how good they are.

North did well with their picks, they were bound to with their first two, but the George risk could be great.

Hustwaite is talented, he slipped to 37 and it was a good pickup.

You seem disappointed.

How about acknowledging one club seems to have picked up some exceptional talent and leave it at that, rather than throw in your club had just a good draft when they clearly didn't? It's not being negative at all. It's called 'balance'. Show me where I have a go at anyone and anything.
Hawthorn most definitely had a good draft, two first rounders in & a talent that was seen as a genuine early second, even late first.

You seem disappointed.

It's not your job to moderate people when they are upbeat about who they drafted

He didnt say, North and Adelaide are s**t and we dominated, he just liked what we picked up, as do most Hawks fans, its not clear that Hawthorn didnt have a good draft, you wont know for 2-3 years at least, but getting two first rounders in is a good thing

If you hate everything your club does, Whats the point of supporting anything

He complimented both sides outside of Hawthorn

Gee whiz I think some are having a tizzy fit because a few in the media have compared Hustwaite to Peddles. It’s not Hawks fans that have come up with this but I really like the comparison.

Norths draft crop very nice and I reckon Hawks have done well enhancing their list as well. Only time will tell. Sky’s the limit with Weddle!

You seem disappointed.

Go on Vin, how would you rate our draft? You seem to have very strong opinions about everything we do

Go on Vin, how would you rate our draft? You seem to have very strong opinions about everything we do
You would expect a top 8 pick to be good. And I think Weddle will be a player. I always thought he will play up the ground as he did prior, rather than full back. Midfield/wing? You did pay up to get him is probably the only query, but you need players now rather than wait another year, so I fully understand it.
Hustwaite I don’t think much of at all. But he was a pick in the 40s anyway. His brother has been captain (?) of our VFL team for a few years so we would have closely monitored him. The fact we passed up on him 3 times (as did other clubs), probably tells you something.
It’s just like Lemmey. Carlton got a list clogger there so not sure why he was a bargain pick. You don’t go from being top 5 start of the season to then a throwaway pick end of season unless most recruiters see serious issues. Better off picking a KPP who wasn’t as closely monitored at that level (as u did with Lewis), because there is probably more potential upside.

I disagree with Foxsports giving you a D+ rating. Should have been B/B+.

You would expect a top 8 pick to be good. And I think Weddle will be a player. I always thought he will play up the ground as he did prior, rather than full back. Midfield/wing? You did pay up to get him is probably the only query, but you need players now rather than wait another year, so I fully understand it.
Hustwaite I don’t think much of at all. But he was a pick in the 40s anyway. His brother has been captain (?) of our VFL team for a few years so we would have closely monitored him. The fact we passed up on him 3 times (as did other clubs), probably tells you something.
It’s just like Lemmey. Carlton got a list clogger there so not sure why he was a bargain pick. You don’t go from being top 5 start of the season to then a throwaway pick end of season unless most recruiters see serious issues. Better off picking a KPP who wasn’t as closely monitored at that level (as u did with Lewis), because there is probably more potential upside.

Hustwaite being passed on is weird but from what I’ve seen he has shown talent, both as a very good inside midfielder with contested ability, at his size 195cm & being the composed player he is in traffic mixed in with his good left foot, there’s a reason people are excited. At 37 it’s a great pick.

I was expecting him gone in the early 2nd round.

Surely a b+ is a good draft haul, and one Hawthorn fans should be excited about?

Edit: Also, you like our first two picks, and agree our 3rd pick is speculative (like almost all 3rd rounders). What else should Hawthorn have done?

Surely a b+ is a good draft haul, and one Hawthorn fans should be excited about?

Edit: Also, you like our first two picks, and agree our 3rd pick is speculative (like almost all 3rd rounders). What else should Hawthorn have done?
I didn’t say Hawthorn had a bad draft. The only comment I made was that I don’t think it was nearly as good as Norths. They have a lot to be excited about with some kids that could be very exciting to watch. And you would expect that having 2 top 10 picks and another who may well have also been there if not for injury.

I’ve said it on our board. North fans should be very happy because they’re recruited a couple of potential excitement machines and will enjoy watching them play. Not sure it could have played out any better for North.

Clarkson is going to love working on the young talent they have there.

It's pretty hard to * up a pick 2 and 3.

North have tried very hard in the past but I can't see it happening this year.

Hopefully Wardlaw can stay cherry ripe for the rest of his career as he hasn't had much luck so far. Only thing that would hold him back is his body IMO. He has too much of an iron will and determination to not get the most out of himself. I am hoping it isn't a Nathan Freeman situation.

Sheezel is exciting. Not sure on his ceiling but I can see him becoming a Dylan Moore/Zac Bailey high half forward with his ball use delivering inside 50 and goal sense. I'm still not sold on whether he can become a full time mid which I would want from a top 3 pick but North are already heavily invested in the midfield at this stage so I doubt they wouldn't be too unhappy about having a quality forward who can score and create. If he can improve into that goal kicking mid that would be the cherry on top.

Don't know too much about Adelaide's Max but obviously they rated him high enough to match. Rankine is a whole lot of known quality that offsets the pick.

Quietly very happy with our draft. It's clear we've targeted size and speed, two areas we are sorely lacking in the middle. Will be going from having one of the smallest midfield brigades in terms of size to one of the biggest in the next few years. Only one I'm not sold on is O'Sullivan but that is because I haven't seen much vision of him. We've done pretty well late in the draft in the past so I will back in the recruitment team. Not at all unhappy about the Weddle trade, might be overs if you crunch the numbers but one in the hand is better than two in the bush. We clearly rated him highly and I'll back our recruiters in.

It's pretty hard to * up a pick 2 and 3.

North have tried very hard in the past but I can't see it happening this year.

Hopefully Wardlaw can stay cherry ripe for the rest of his career as he hasn't had much luck so far. Only thing that would hold him back is his body IMO. He has too much of an iron will and determination to not get the most out of himself. I am hoping it isn't a Nathan Freeman situation.

Sheezel is exciting. Not sure on his ceiling but I can see him becoming a Dylan Moore/Zac Bailey high half forward with his ball use delivering inside 50 and goal sense. I'm still not sold on whether he can become a full time mid which I would want from a top 3 pick but North are already heavily invested in the midfield at this stage so I doubt they wouldn't be too unhappy about having a quality forward who can score and create. If he can improve into that goal kicking mid that would be the cherry on top.

Don't know too much about Adelaide's Max but obviously they rated him high enough to match. Rankine is a whole lot of known quality that offsets the pick.

Quietly very happy with our draft. It's clear we've targeted size and speed, two areas we are sorely lacking in the middle. Will be going from having one of the smallest midfield brigades in terms of size to one of the biggest in the next few years. Only one I'm not sold on is O'Sullivan but that is because I haven't seen much vision of him. We've done pretty well late in the draft in the past so I will back in the recruitment team. Not at all unhappy about the Weddle trade, might be overs if you crunch the numbers but one in the hand is better than two in the bush. We clearly rated him highly and I'll back our recruiters in.
Robbie Gray and Shai Bolton are/were both not full time midfielders and I reckon they've reached their full potential. Just look at Gray's 2014 season. Averaged 24 disposals but kicked 1.7 goals a game which helped him massively to secure the AFLCA award.

Robbie Gray and Shai Bolton are/were both not full time midfielders and I reckon they've reached their full potential. Just look at Gray's 2014 season. Averaged 24 disposals but kicked 1.7 goals a game which helped him massively to secure the AFLCA award.

I think Gray being the ceiling would be a great get and a good stylistic comparison. Not overly quick but very intelligent, evasive and creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back