• Duggan

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Lamb

Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How dare you come on here and throw out some of our preconceived notions about players with your first hand experience of them (I assume from the certainty of your remarks you have seen these boys play).

No actually thanks that's really interesting makes me shift a little more toward the 2 metre Peter bandwagon, though I still feel he's not a good list fit.

I worry with Laverde he's going to be just a flashy outside type with no capacity to develop an inside game? I worry with De Goey he may not be able to develop good enough numbers to be worth pick 5.

Please feel free to add to your comments. Very interesting.

Laverde - Chris Egan type? ;)

Personally I reckon we lack genuine natural forwards on our list whilst we have a lot of fwd/mids. Cloke and Elliot are the only two natural goalkickers we have, for that reason i wouldn't have an issue securing someone with this skill set which sound like Pickett. A lonie/Langdon type at 30 or 48 would potentially be nice if there is someone better available at 5.

That being said, my belief is that the best list management approach is to always draft best available, particularly with the first couple of rounds, and trade/use FA for needs based acquisitions.

Laverde - Chris Egan type? ;)

Personally I reckon we lack genuine natural forwards on our list whilst we have a lot of fwd/mids. Cloke and Elliot are the only two natural goalkickers we have, for that reason i wouldn't have an issue securing someone with this skill set which sound like Pickett. A lonie/Langdon type at 30 or 48 would potentially be nice if there is someone better available at 5.

That being said, my belief is that the best list management approach is to always draft best available, particularly with the first couple of rounds, and trade/use FA for needs based acquisitions.

Pickett is another fwd/mid type.

How dare you come on here and throw out some of our preconceived notions about players with your first hand experience of them (I assume from the certainty of your remarks you have seen these boys play).

No actually thanks that's really interesting makes me shift a little more toward the 2 metre Peter bandwagon, though I still feel he's not a good list fit.

I worry with Laverde he's going to be just a flashy outside type with no capacity to develop an inside game? I worry with De Goey he may not be able to develop good enough numbers to be worth pick 5.

Please feel free to add to your comments. Very interesting.
I'd take his comments with a grain of salt.
I trust the judgement of a respected draft watcher like KM on kids any day of the week over a guy who's been posting for a month (with some pretty questionable posts at that).

Wouldn't be the first time someone has come on here with strongly worded opinions after watching some YouTube videos.

We need a mid more than we need another tall, Wright for mine is not the right fit for us. I would rather take a mid in this draft as that is what we need and then a few years down the line go for another tall forward. I don't want to get Moore and Wright as I would like there to be an age separation so that when it comes time to replace them in the side it can be staggered. Also I agree with Dolfinmans take on McCartin he is a tad overrated for mine

We need a mid more than we need another tall. I don't want to get Moore and Wright as I would like there to be an age separation
IMO go for the best at such an early pick regardless of age separation or need.
Pendle's and Daisy plus Reid and Brown are proof of picking the best available in their draft years regardless of being similar types.
The Tall's are exceptional this year and as much as I rate Laverde, Degoey and Pickett both Rendell and Hine know who the most talented player is at 5.
If we were to select Wright we would then use pick 30 and 48 on a mid/ utility unless a highly regarded player slips thru to said choices (we could only wish).

My preference

1.Laverde but GWS will take him
2. De goey
3. Wright
4. Pickett

Pendle's and Daisy plus Reid and Brown are proof of picking the best available in their draft years regardless of being similar types.
The Tall's are exceptional this year and as much as I rate Laverde, Degoey and Pickett both Rendell and Hine know who the most talented player is at 5.
If we were to select Wright we would then use pick 30 and 48 on a mid/ utility unless a highly regarded player slips thru to said choices (we could only wish).
The thing is the draft is even you can make a case for a guy like Wright or Laverde at 5 it is no real class gap so we should take the player that we need Laverde will give us something we do not currently have.

The thing is the draft is even you can make a case for a guy like Wright or Laverde at 5 it is no real class gap so we should take the player that we need Laverde will give us something we do not currently have.
Respect your opinion, glad I'm not making the decision.

Hawks are proof you're best off flooding your team with mids than talls. Talls are a very over rated quantity.

The hawks have had some of the best talls in the competition over the past few years (Franklin, Roughead, Hale, McEvoy, Gunston) for the mids to kick too.

If Fremantle had another tall forward to kick to other than Pavlich they might have won a Premiership by now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a fair question, they traded franklin out after 2 flags so even if they're past their use-by date people will pay stupid odds for a good big man. Look at Footscray and this Giant bloke.
He left as a free agent, and Franklin is nowhere near his use by date. He nearly won the brownlow this year ffs...

That's a fair question, they traded franklin out after 2 flags so even if they're past their use-by date people will pay stupid odds for a good big man. Look at Footscray and this Giant bloke.

They would have kept Franklin and didn't trade him out.
He went in FA and went to Sydney because of a godfather deal.
You know what type of player they recruited with his compensation pick?

Our biggest weakness we have is our forward line. No good tall forward targets for our mids to kick to other than Cloke. Wright is a tall target that can kick the ball straight. Having Moore and Wright in our forward line for the next 10 years would be fantastic to watch.

I've said this before, I think we will go with either Laverde or Pickett but to not take Wright when he was touted as one of the number one picks at the start of this year would be crazy. Plenty of mids will be available at pick 30 and 48. Seems like a better option than to miss out on a good quality forward.

McCartin to me looks very similar to Leroy Brown, he doesn't have that athletic free moving movement that you would want for a key forward. I would take Wright and Reece McKenzie ahead of McCartin.

Sorry, poorly expressed. I didn't mean Franklin was (TBH I thought he might be late last year but obviously I was wrong), I meant decent big man tend to have trade value.

Now that I think that through, most clubs don't get good compo when a big man walks. We got Jolly for peanuts, Hawthorn got pick 19 for Franklin, I guess GWS did OK for their boy.

Hawks are proof you're best off flooding your team with mids than talls. Talls are a very over rated quantity.

Wow that maybe the worst post of the week award.

congrats.

yep they dodged tambling and gambled on ruffy and buddy.

Pendles was best available? I thought he was a speculative pick that surprised people.:confused:

Our biggest weakness we have is our forward line. No good tall forward targets for our mids to kick to other than Cloke. Wright is a tall target that can kick the ball straight. Having Moore and Wright in our forward line for the next 10 years would be fantastic to watch.

I've said this before, I think we will go with either Laverde or Pickett but to not take Wright when he was touted as one of the number one picks at the start of this year would be crazy. Plenty of mids will be available at pick 30 and 48. Seems like a better option than to miss out on a good quality forward.

McCartin to me looks very similar to Leroy Brown, he doesn't have that athletic free moving movement that you would want for a key forward. I would take Wright and Reece McKenzie ahead of McCartin.

You forgot Reid, Elliott. If we want to fix our forward line recruit a crumber and mids that can deliver it to the forwards better.

Pendles was best available? I thought he was a speculative pick that surprised people.:confused:
In Hine's mind he was the Best available, hence the reason he reached for him at 5 when he was projected to go around 15.

If we didn't have pick 2 and had the choice between Thomas and Pendles in 06, I reckon Hine would still have gone for Pendlebury.

You forgot Reid, Elliott. If we want to fix our forward line recruit a crumber and mids that can deliver it to the forwards better.

Mike, what about Shannon Taylor, he is a risk but he has first round talent and we can pick him up late in the draft or even as a rookie.
http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=699088

Shannon's results as an under-age player in the 2011 AFL National Draft combine are off the chart:
2nd in Standing Vertical Jump (cm) 76 cm
4th in Running Vertical Jump (cm) 88 cm
1st in the 20 m sprint 2.86 sec
3rd in agility run result 7.99 sec
5th in the repeat sprints 24.23 sec
http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2011.htm

They just have to get him fit and he will not cost us pick 5.

Mike, what about Shannon Taylor, he is a risk but he has first round talent and we can pick him up late in the draft or even as a rookie.
http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=699088

Shannon's results as an under-age player in the 2011 AFL National Draft combine are off the chart:
2nd in Standing Vertical Jump (cm) 76 cm
4th in Running Vertical Jump (cm) 88 cm
1st in the 20 m sprint 2.86 sec
3rd in agility run result 7.99 sec
5th in the repeat sprints 24.23 sec
http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2011.htm

They just have to get him fit and he will not cost us pick 5.

Wouldn't mind him in the rookie draft. If he can fill that need than I can't see why not we should pick him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back