Who Has Played One Season Too Many? 2016 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think North should be throwing anyone out due to age (except Firrito) but I reckon they should not have brought in Dal Santo or Waite. Both have been very good (as us Richmond supporters learnt from Waite in last year's EF) but I think you had the youngsters for these spots who have now been held back (Atley, Black, maybe others) and the drop-off that's one or two years away is going to be all the greater now.
Waite's not keeping anyone out though is he?
Ben Brown is developing nicely into the no 2 forward and Black's not up to it so for nothing Waite has been a solid pick up by North

Don't think North should be throwing anyone out due to age (except Firrito) but I reckon they should not have brought in Dal Santo or Waite. Both have been very good (as us Richmond supporters learnt from Waite in last year's EF) but I think you had the youngsters for these spots who have now been held back (Atley, Black, maybe others) and the drop-off that's one or two years away is going to be all the greater now.

As for players gone one year too far - Pavlich, and nothing to do with his game on the weekend.
Tell me, how far have Sydney fallen in the last 10 years, despite recycling a lot of players that were older from other clubs.

FA has changed the way the demographics of how clubs operate. Adapt or die.

Just a note, Atley has not been held back at all. In fact there are plenty questioning why he was getting games at one point because of his disposal. Black got injured and never really regained the form to get back into the team.

Just saw Robert Murphy on AFL360 (Thanks FREO FANATIC). At 34? and with that team, he looks good for a another 3-4 years. Yet there are plenty that would say he is too old.

Utter tosh.

Just saw Robert Murphy on AFL360 (Thanks FREO FANATIC). At 34? and with that team, he looks good for a another 3-4 years. Yet there are plenty that would say he is too old.

Utter tosh.
Bob looks to have the right body type to keep going, very wiry, hopefully he can play a few more as he is still a super good player.

Utter tosh.

Murphy is super wirey and being a flanker has a tendency to extend a career by a couple of years. The only problem is that he had a knee reconstruction ten years ago (Thanks for that Anthony Rocca) and who knows if he could injure it again.

Your biased on Robbo though, all he talks about is Essendon and Hirdy.
Not really. I just don't take him seriously. Trust me, if you did that it makes him hilarious instead of floggish.

Don't think North should be throwing anyone out due to age (except Firrito) but I reckon they should not have brought in Dal Santo or Waite.

That's madness. Both were good last round. They are building to win a flag now (if possible) and these guys will be valuable contributors.

I agree Firrito is useless though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd give Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris 1 more year tops before their bodies give way to fatigue and injury. Playing on one more year gives our young players some time to grab experience learning from older players rather than throwing them all in the mix together and hoping for the best

Tell me, how far have Sydney fallen in the last 10 years, despite recycling a lot of players that were older from other clubs.

FA has changed the way the demographics of how clubs operate. Adapt or die.

Just a note, Atley has not been held back at all. In fact there are plenty questioning why he was getting games at one point because of his disposal. Black got injured and never really regained the form to get back into the team.

In the last ten years the Swans have bought in experienced campaigners in:
Peter Everitt - 32
Martin Mattner - 25
Rhyce Shaw - 27
Shane Mumford - 23
Josh Kennedy - 21
Ben McGlynn - 24
Mark Seaby - 25

Spider aside the rest had a good seven seasons + in them.

compared to Dal Santo - 29 (30 before he debuted for the Roos) and Waite - 31 (32 before he debuted for the Roos).

I'm just saying it's high-risk for a very small window.

Nope. Robbo, Hutchi, Dwayne Russell, Dunstall
damien-barrett.png

In the last ten years the Swans have bought in experienced campaigners in:
Peter Everitt - 32
Martin Mattner - 25
Rhyce Shaw - 27
Shane Mumford - 23
Josh Kennedy - 21
Ben McGlynn - 24
Mark Seaby - 25

Spider aside the rest had a good seven seasons + in them.

compared to Dal Santo - 29 (30 before he debuted for the Roos) and Waite - 31 (32 before he debuted for the Roos).

I'm just saying it's high-risk for a very small window.

High risk is giving a 1st round pick for Yarran.

Low risk is picking bit part players for nothing more than a tracksuit and a free gym membership and watching them win finals for your team.

Waite is playing career best footy and showing no signs of slowing down at all, in fact had you picked him up for nothing, you would have won 2 finals already and not been the laughing stock of the entire AFL.

High risk is giving up pick 29 or whoever for yards like Hampson and whatever for numpty Chaplin, that is genuine risk.

By the time Waite and Petrie retire, McKay or Durdin or Wood should be ready to slip straight into being a 2nd forward and if not, we'll have Majak in the goal square.

Not to mention the free salary cap space we'll have to throw at someone.

Did you miss the 1st half of round 23 last year when our 2nds where leading you guys?

Yes, I believe they were the best team going around at that time. C'mon so many of of you Geelong guys said that after winning 3 flags in 5 years your TEAM was the best in a long time. But now you say your not? OK Geelong was. The fact is that Scott inherited a team that had the best winning % of the previous 4 or 5 years. Even after taking out Ablett, 24%, yes almost 1 quarter of the 2010 all Australian side were Geelong players. Also I said best 'team'. It has been reported that how the players stuck together and set high standards for each other, the players set the standards for each other not the coaches, this has now become standard in all clubs.

Here's how I remember that period. We'd been essentially written off because we'd just been smashed by Collingwood in the PF and the Pies looked like they were only going to get better. We'd lost Ablett and Thompson, but also a number of our senior players had looked pretty cooked in that finals series (Corey, Ottens, Milburn, Mooney and Ling all come to mind and even Mackie had lost his spot in the team). The general consensus was that we weren't going to be as good as we were in 2010.

But personally, when I looked at our list and looked at the rest of the teams in the league heading in to 2011, even allowing for the loss of key personnel and while I still thought Collingwood was the team to beat until very late in the season, I failed to see how we could possibly miss the top four with the talent that we still had. And with St Kilda and the Bulldogs falling away that year, that's how it played out: there were three very good teams in 2011 and then everyone else making up the numbers.

Bartel is another I think, Geelong probably got Johnson/Bartel wrong.
That's if you subscribe to the notion that Johnson was moved on purely on form. Attitudinally he wasn't great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back