Who Has Played One Season Too Many? 2016 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomer Harvey. Selfish to still be playing at 37, nearly 38. You must be one very mediocre player to score a career high number of goals in game 412.

Nobody with a birth date in the 70s should still be playing.

In going with many peoples wishes on Big Footy I propose the AFL become a competition with no player over 28.

I think it's hilarious Essendon fans are so in to Cooney

The reality is IF they hadn't have cheated or not set their "records" on fire and lost them they would have a full list and Cooney wouldn't be playing.

But due to their cheating he is still playing and probably will play a few more.

I admit it is sad to see him limp around and the mistake made by Essendon was trading for him at all coz he was done his last year at the dogs and has now sullied his career by pulling on that jumper just to extend his career.

Ps Dean "who ate all the pies" Rioli having a go at any player for their effort is just downright pathetic.
Thank fu#$ we dodged Adam i like the squishy floor Cooney

Genuinely wondering if Ablett is approaching the end. That shoulder is clearly in a bad way - he is pulling out of so many tackles.

Can he carve out another couple of years in the forward line if he can't tackle and pressure?

Errr...you didn't watch much Geelong last year.
If I'm not mistaken as of tonight the oldest ever to get All Australian selection.
So that's one player that surprised some in here.

Nah, Tuck and Blight were 35.

Turns 35 in October so not far off esteemed company. Has had a season that even his most ardent fan like me can't believe.

Didn't think he'd end the season in the VFL but AA is incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ivan Maric is a shadow of his best.

Will Minson strolled around in the VFL today, too cooked or can't be bothered.
Maric has been playing well in the VFL.
The problem is that he dosnt win enough taps.
Hampson is a spud around the ground but wins a lot more taps than Maric.

I think Ivan will go on again next year.

Any player who has played enough games to slip into this category has never played a season too long. You would i think have to have 10 or more seasons under your belt .. a 26 year old with the weight of injuries can maybe lose his edge or his pace and you might say he played a season too long.

if a club is willing to pay a guy 34 to keep playing, whatever he contributes will do. In the end the club behind closed doors will tap him on the shoulder.

Any player with a contract earning serious brass who quits not because his club wants him to but because he wants to go out on top ... is a mug!

Scott Thompson (Adelaide) really heading into this territory.
People thought that 3-4 years ago and re invented himself though

People thought that 3-4 years ago and re invented himself though
How has he reinvented himself? 3-4 years ago, he was a contested ball winning machine, not particularly quick, but generally used it well.

Three years later, he's still a contested ball winner who still racks up (on the surface) good numbers, but he doesn't really run defensively anymore/produce second efforts, moderately fast players burn him off with ease, setting up attacking plays for the opposition, and his decision making with the ball is becoming too slow compared to our other mids. He's also been managed at times this year, which really doesn't bode well for another season, as much as he may want to keep going.

Not to mention that potential successors like Cam Ellis-Yolmen or Harrison Wigg may look elsewhere if they think the selectors will choose him over them next year, in what would definitely be his last year.

I really hope, as unlikely as it is, that we can get him that elusive flag this year, as nobody deserves it more than him, but I really think we have to call time on him at the end of this season.

How has he reinvented himself? 3-4 years ago, he was a contested ball winning machine, not particularly quick, but generally used it well.

Three years later, he's still a contested ball winner who still racks up (on the surface) good numbers, but he doesn't really run defensively anymore/produce second efforts, moderately fast players burn him off with ease, setting up attacking plays for the opposition, and his decision making with the ball is becoming too slow compared to our other mids. He's also been managed at times this year, which really doesn't bode well for another season, as much as he may want to keep going.

Not to mention that potential successors like Cam Ellis-Yolmen or Harrison Wigg may look elsewhere if they think the selectors will choose him over them next year, in what would definitely be his last year.

I really hope, as unlikely as it is, that we can get him that elusive flag this year, as nobody deserves it more than him, but I really think we have to call time on him at the end of this season.
I don't follow him that closely, but I recall people wanting him to retire a few years ago as he looked well and truly cooked and seems to have bounced back for a few more years.
I agree if you take home the flag he should go.

Joel Patful
Grateful he came, not so sure about next year unless he's happy playing NEAFL

Burgoyne and Hodge

The other old blokes on their list should be ok but those two already look a bit past it.

Think Gibson may also be gone after next year, looks to be slowing down :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back