Opinion Who is worth Pick 1 or more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeo is a match winner.

Crouch is not... At least Mitchell's handballs are contested. Crouch is a stationary target in the middle of the ground getting cheap 1-2 handballs.
Pretty good effort for a stationary object to get an All-Australian nod.

seriously, there are a ton of players i would give up pick 1 for.

Fyfe, Cripps, Heeney, Lynch, Curnow, Grundy, Gawn, Brayshaw, Petracca, Bont, Macrae, Matt Crouch, Laird, Rayner, Andrews, JDG, WHE, Shiel, Kelly, Coniglio, Wines, Oliver, Martin, Rance, Buddy, Danger, Titch, Jaeger, Sicily, Gresham, Billings, Lynch....off the top of my head.

Pick 1 is still a gamble. If any decent AFL player was up for grabs, i'd trade it.
I agree to a point...you need to put an age bracket in there ...i doubt Carlton would even consider trading pick one for Buddy .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree to a point...you need to put an age bracket in there ...i doubt Carlton would even consider trading pick one for Buddy .
fair point.
I'd probably weigh up draft and just how good a player you're getting at that age.
Whilst younger, Judd cost the equivalent of Pick 1 and 5.

That's the calibre you give up such picks for. Though interesting to note, the Blues held 1 that year and still didn't give it up.

Its very rare that pick 1 becomes worth a pick 1 ... Very common for pick 1 to become trash.
I wouldn't say very common.

Rayner and McGrath look solid guns.
Riewoldt, Hodge, Goddard, Deledio, Scully - all elite.
Cooney won a brownlow before injury cut him down.
Murphy, Gibbs, Kruezer, Whitfield have all been very good.

Watts, Boyd and McCartin have probably been the let downs in the past 18 years. And there's plenty of time for the latter two. Both battling issues that have nothing to do with their talent.

Nobody is worth pick 1. Pick 1 you are selling the future and hope to members and the team. Yes pick 1 doesn’t always turn out to be and star. But it gives fans hope that this player could change the fortune of their club.

If they're under 26, have an AA under the belt, and look like backing it up with multiple inclusions in the squad or more AA honours, they are worth pick 1 imo.

For example, I'd give up pick 1 in an instant for Josh Kelly, Oliver, Cripps, Shiel, Dangerfield (when he was traded), Martin last year, Fyfe etc etc

I'd consider it for others like Zac Merret, Matt Crouch, Daniher, Yeo etc etc. But they would need to fit team needs at the time and into future because let's face it, if you have pick 1, your club is in a dark place.

Ever seen a 200cm+ wingman diving forward for a mark at ankle height (which he took cleanly), look up before hitting the ground and hit a player running past with a weighted handball?

Me either until I watched English do it.
Grundy can do that every day of the week... Except he also takes contested marks, dominates hitouts, gets clearances, kick goals, tackles etc...

This is pick 1 discussion, a bean pole ruckman who can pick a ball up doesn't equate to such standards..

Grundy can do that every day of the week... Except he also takes contested marks, dominates hitouts, gets clearances, kick goals, tackles etc...

This is pick 1 discussion, a bean pole ruckman who can pick a ball up doesn't equate to such standards..

English is years younger and has better foot/hand skills. Wait until he gets to Grundy's age, then judge him as a ruckman, IF he becomes a ruckman.

Thread is about pick 1, which is all about potential and not actual. All picks have potential and are worth far less than players.

English is years younger and has better foot/hand skills. Wait until he gets to Grundy's age, then judge him as a ruckman, IF he becomes a ruckman.

Thread is about pick 1, which is all about potential and not actual. All picks have potential and are worth far less than players.
Grundy was playing as our #1 ruck in his 1st year, Grundy has and will have English covered in every stage of their careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back