Opinion Who would you pick for our current side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
was watching our 2007 ass whooping of port Adelaide with a nice dinner and beer ( perfect trifecta) and was wondering which of the Geelong players from that list would you add to our current team in order of most importance to help us win a flag.

You can only select 6.

Here is my go.

1.Matthew Scarlett
2. Corey Enright
3. Ling
4. Bartel
5. Chapman
6. Steve Johnson

Below is my team adjustment (copy pasted prelim selected side):

B: T.Stewart, Scarlett , Z.Tuohy

HB: A.Mackie, Taylor ,Enright

C: M.Duncan, J.Selwood, s Selwood

HF: Ablett, L.Henderson, Chapman

F: Johnson, P.Dangerfield, T.Hawkins

FOLL: Z.Smith, Ling, Bartel

I/C: N.Cockatoo, Menzel, Menegola, R.Stanley

EMG: Z.Guthrie,J.Murdoch, J.Parsons

Last edited:

Scarlett .... would gel and make our backline more attacking
Ottens ..... Danger, Selwood and Ablett at his feet ..yes please
Rooke....... The game is even more in a style that would Max. Could easily have chosen ... Ling or Harley or perhaps Bartel but the mids are sort of covered.
Milburn..... Could easily have gone Boris but Milburns hardness appeals
Chapman.. Tougness and goals , flip of the coin between him and SJ
Mooney.... Worked well with TH ..others are better players but a glaring weakness.

was watching our 2007 ass whooping of port Adelaide with a nice dinner and beer ( perfect trifecta) and was wondering which of the Geelong players from that list would you add to our current team in order of most importance to help us win a flag.

You can only select 6.

Here is my go.

1.Matthew Scarlett
2. Corey Enright
3. Ling
4. Bartel
5. Chapman
6. Steve Johnson

Below is my team adjustment from the prelim:

HF: Ablett, L.Henderson, Chapman

F: Johnson, P.Dangerfield, T.Hawkins

FOLL: Z.Smith, Ling, Bartel

I/C: N.Cockatoo, Menzel, Menegola, R.Stanley

EMG: Z.Guthrie,J.Murdoch, J.Parsons

Just to clarify, was your selection of Mackie (separate to your choice of 6 players) deliberate, or an accidental oversight?
If deliberate, does that mean Lonergan, Motlop, Lang and Cowan are also available for selection?
Also, are we selecting six players based on their ability/form in September 2007, or as an average over their career? (Mooney had a brilliant 2007, but that was probably the peak of his career).

1. Scarlett
2. Mooney (brilliant in 2007, and he takes the pressure and attention off 2018 Hawkins)
3. Ottens (would form a supreme ruck duo with Smith, which frees up to Blicavs to play as a permanent midfielder, or not at all)
4. Bartel
5. Enright
6. Corey

Johnson and Chapman unlucky to miss - but with a midfield of Dangerfield, J Selwood, Ablett, Bartel, Corey and Duncan, (not to mention Hawkins, Mooney and Ottens), there is plenty of goalscoring ability already in the team.

B: Bews Taylor Scarlett
HB: Tuohy Henderson Enright
C: Duncan Bartel Corey
HF: Menegola Mooney Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins Ablett
R: Smith Dangerfield JSelwood
I: Ottens SSelwood CGuthrie Stewart

Last edited:
This is the current side (as in, players currently on our list) I would pick in the side Round 1

B: Bews Kolojadsnij Z. Guthrie
HB: Henderson Taylor Touhy
C: Duncan Dangerfield C. Guthrie
HF: Cockatoo Stanley Menegola
F: Menzel Hawkins Crameri
R: Smith J. Selwood Ablett
I: S. Selwood Buzza Parfitt Gregson

No point dwelling on who we don't have. We can only rely on our 2018 list, and see how far that takes us.

Just to clarify, was your selection of Mackie (separate to your choice of 6 players) deliberate, or an accidental oversight?
If deliberate, does that mean Lonergan, Motlop, Lang and Cowan are also available for selection?
Also, are we selecting six players based on their ability/form in September 2007, or as an average over their career? (Mooney had a brilliant 2007, but that was probably the peak of his career).

Accident mate

Based on their 2007 ability/form. As they where in 2007. And have them slot in the team today. I probably just missed taking some of them out from the prelim who aren’t there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the current side (as in, players currently on our list) I would pick in the side Round 1

B: Bews Kolojadsnij Z. Guthrie
HB: Henderson Taylor Touhy
C: Duncan Dangerfield C. Guthrie
HF: Cockatoo Stanley Menegola
F: Menzel Hawkins Crameri
R: Smith J. Selwood Ablett
I: S. Selwood Buzza Parfitt Gregson

No point dwelling on who we don't have. We can only rely on our 2018 list, and see how far that takes us.

Nice side, but I think there is already a thread elsewhere for that. This is just a bit of fun mixing with our great premiership team, that’s all.

Scarlett .... would gel and make our backline more attacking
Ottens ..... Danger, Selwood and Ablett at his feet ..yes please
Rooke....... The game is even more in a style that would Max. Could easily have chosen ... Ling or Harley or perhaps Bartel but the mids are sort of covered.
Milburn..... Could easily have gone Boris but Milburns hardness appeals
Chapman.. Tougness and goals , flip of the coin between him and SJ
Mooney.... Worked well with TH ..others are better players but a glaring weakness.

Was going to put Ottens in then second guessed it as I see smith as decent enough to do the job then others a more glaring need especially down back with such elite quality.

Everyone seems to have Ottens in right away tho!!

Think it’s s real testament to how brilliant a player he was especially in our finals. He saved his best for the big stuff.

You can only select 6.

Here is my go.

1.Matthew Scarlett
2. Corey Enright
3. Ling
4. Bartel
5. Chapman
6. Steve Johnson

Below is my team adjustment from the prelim: