Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

377 posts in 6 years for me, divide that by number of weeks 312= 1.2 posts per week. Playing to my average.

Cant ever remember calling a Hawks supporter a bandwagoner, please show me if l have?

BTW you didn't answer my question, how many threads have you started that have been closed for trolling?

I was referring to Geelong supporters in general.

They love to label us Hawks fans as bandwagoners.

By the way I've only ever started one thread that was closed by a moderator, and it was a thread praising Geelong after they towelled my side in round 1.

I was referring to Geelong supporters in general.

They love to label us Hawks fans as bandwagoners.

By the way I've only ever started one thread that was closed by a moderator, and it was a thread praising Geelong after they towelled my side in round 1.

What about the thread about Kangaroos after their loss to the Swans? That one slipped your mind? So two threads closed for trolling so far and under 100 posts.

I wonder how many of your other alias's you have going or have had going before.

You're a troll and should be outed at every opportunity.

What about the thread about Kangaroos after their loss to the Swans? That one slipped your mind? So two threads closed for trolling so far and under 100 posts.

I wonder how many of your other alias's you have going or have had going before.

You're a troll and should be outed at every opportunity.

Welcome to Big Footy!

tumblr_mhraav7Qhk1qe1unlo1_500.gif

Mitch Clark (resumed in VFL today) and Scott Selwood (reportedly 3 weeks away from VFL return) could be the wild cards.

In an ideal world Clark comes into the team and eases pressure on Hawkins, and enables Kersten to play as a third rather than second tall forward. Some may forget that Clark was actually leading our goal kicking for the first half of last season until he got injured.

I wasn't a huge fan of bringing Scooter across but the main benefit I can see is that his inclusion in the middle would allow Guthrie to spend more time down back. We are badly missing speed in the backline and a quality small defender. Guthrie is proven in both roles but is currently necessary for the middle, where he's likely leading our B&F.

I don't think a side that butchers so many chances at goal, nor gift so many goals away with really bad errors, is a genuine contender.

Yep, in isolation, Saturday's win could have been considered a really solid performance. But when you consider the previous three games, saw Geelong have 83 scoring shots to the oppositions' 65 for a total score of 243 points, against the opponents' total score of 280, a ten point win from ten more scoring shots is not cause for celebration. It's better than a loss, but this needs to be fixed immediately.

I rate Tom Hawkins massively and did when everyone thought he wouldn't make it.

But in the games I've seen he seems to be stagnating.

Anyone else think he should try dropping some weight and becoming a bit more mobile?

Here's an idea for the Cats: can someone please show Tom a video of his conversion rate when he goes back and has a shot from anywhere inside 55m, compared to when he tries a cute dish off to someone, invariably someone who isn't even in a better position than him? I bet he's got a better strike rate when he just goes back and takes a shot.

I love Tom Hawkins, but he seems to be under the misguided impression that he needs to bring his teammates into the game, first and foremost. Ask any Geelong supporter which players they would like to see kick the first two goals of the game to get the side going and I guarantee the overwhelming majority would say that they'd love to see Hawkins take two strong grabs and go back and calmly slot the goals. He is the most important Geelong player to have a good start. If Hawkins is going, everything falls into place around that.

The second most important player to have a good start is Motlop, and he has a case to be number one on that list. The reason for that is he seems to be unable to snap out of it, if he starts a game poorly. Hawkins was pretty ordinary to start the game on Saturday, but he worked his way into it and had a positive influence. Motlop started poorly and didn't get any better. He was a massive All-Australian chance three weeks ago and he'll be lucky not to get dropped this week. When he's good, he's legitimately one of the top 25 players in the league. When he's bad, he's VFL standard.

We're incredible wasteful bombing the ball inside 50 then our kicking for goal is also below average.

Unless we fix that then I doubt we can win it.

Hit the nail on the head. I'd love to know how many direct turnovers we had (and many of them uncontested GWS marks) from bombing the ball inside 50, especially in the first half. It's not the lack of marks inside 50/turnovers that's the real problem; it's the inability to even create a contest when their defenders take a mark and the woeful delivery.

On the positive side, hopefully the weekend's game will give Kersten and Menzel some confidence in front of goal.

377 posts in 6 years for me, divide that by number of weeks 312= 1.2 posts per week. Playing to my average.

Cant ever remember calling a Hawks supporter a bandwagoner, please show me if l have?

BTW you didn't answer my question, how many threads have you started that have been closed for trolling?

Pro-tip: you can probably disregard the opinions of someone who posts more about a single opposition club on here than the club that they actually support.

Yep, in isolation, Saturday's win could have been considered a really solid performance. But when you consider the previous three games, saw Geelong have 83 scoring shots to the oppositions' 65 for a total score of 243 points, against the opponents' total score of 280, a ten point win from ten more scoring shots is not cause for celebration. It's better than a loss, but this needs to be fixed immediately.

It's not even just the missed shots, which are dreadful, it's the complete cockups of what should be certain goals, that end up in turnovers for no reward.

Fumbles, missed targets and dropped marks are a permanent fixture, really troublesome.

It's not even just the missed shots, which are dreadful, it's the complete cockups of what should be certain goals, that end up in turnovers for no reward.

Fumbles, missed targets and dropped marks are a permanent fixture, really troublesome.

Yep, Hawkins to Motlop (well, over Motlop's head to ultimately dribble harmlessly through for a point) in the third quarter probably encapsulated the Benny Hill routine in Geelong's forward line at the moment. Hawkins (under practically zero pressure) could have literally put it anywhere within about a 10m radius of Motlop and it would have been a certain goal. Or he could have just kicked the easy goal himself. Either way, one of the Cats two most important players would have had a much-needed confidence builder and we would have kicked a crucial goal. But Hawkins was caught in two minds and did neither, which only contributed to the frustration.

I find myself screaming at Hawkins every time he takes a mark inside 50..."Just kick the ****ing goal!" I wish his teammates would do the same. That shouldn't be advice that you need to give to the guy that has led your club's goalkicking for the past four years and often kicked twice as many as the runner-up. Being unselfish is one thing, but his full ground checks for every conceivable option every time he takes a mark outside of the goalsquare just give the impression that he doesn't believe in himself and that he doesn't love kicking a goal as much as a full forward needs to. And then he plays a big part in winning the game for us in the fourth quarter. I've given up on trying to figure Hawkins out this year. He's not a great kick, but he's a better kick than he seems to give himself credit for and his constant dish-offs to the likes of Jordan Murdoch in the forward pocket are detrimental to everyone's confidence, because they come unstuck with mind-numbing monotony.

There is nothing that takes the air out of a home stadium than turning a certain shot at goal (and usually a regulation set shot) into a turnover and currently, the Cats are masters at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha! I can't believe this thread has been bumped again. People change their minds like whores changes their underwear. Geelong losing to Carlton (if they do) doesn't mean they're not a flag threat. Reactionary comments from everyone is so shallow.
Didnt think whores wore underwear..... :D:cool:

sorry in offensive...
poor joke..

GO Catters

Would love to see plot of where all our shots have been taken from. My perception is we are getting more shots from the pockets than in front. Clogged F50 wouldn't help get those "easy" shots as often.

You have an elite midfield giving plenty of supply, but have a average forward line. We have the opposite if you had both you would be unstoppable as would we!

The only team that can beat Geelong this year is Geelong, and they have two issues that need rectifying.

First issue is their conversion, which they are ranked 18th in the league for.

Second issue is their habit of talking teams lightly when they are expected to win easily, see the games against GWS (1st game), Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon.

Geelong fix these two issues and absolutely nothing will stop them from winning the premiership this year.

The only team that can beat Geelong this year is Geelong, and they have two issues that need rectifying.

Second issue is their habit of talking teams lightly when they are expected to win easily, see the games against GWS (1st game), Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon.

Geelong fix these two issues and absolutely nothing will stop them from winning the premiership this year.
Sydney?. but being a Hawks fan you wouldn't be seen dead calling them a contender now would you????

I'll add to this their goalkicking. We righted the ship a bit tonight towards the end but it's a concern going forward.

I'm starting to rate Geelong as better than a semi-finalist. I think them and Sydney are a rung above anyone else in the comp, despite Geelong's recent embarrassments against Carlton and Collingwood.

Back