Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Worrying signs after tonight, but I draw some consolation from the fact that after over 100 years in the competition, Geelong has won in an even year only once. Unless of course you include their VFA premierships which I understand is a matter of current debate down in the cattery.

2016 Geelong are not a flag team tbh

Not enough good players

Too heavily rely on Selwood and Danger and some corpses down back.

Hawkins will always be an under performer too
Yep

We were awful tonight yet had only 2 less scoring shots than them + have 5 best 22 types in Dahlhaus, JJ, Stevens, McLean and Wood out injured on top of Murph and Crameri, while Boyd isn't fit enough yet for the ones (just came back from a 7 week shoulder).

Geelongs biggest loss on their injury list is Jackson Thurlow who is easily covered by their experienced defensive depth, while Scott Selwood hasn't even played for them yet, the rest are fringe/delist worthy who are on their injury list.

IMO they are peaking right now and capitalising due to other teams misfortunes like North copping 4-5 injuries ingame last week, while we were undermanned again coming into the game.

They'll finish top 4, probably even top 2 due to their charmed run with injury, but they're playing their best footy right now, while nearly every other top 8 side except maybe Adelaide has key personnel out currently injured and aren't playing at their maximum.

Tonight and last week were aberrations for the Dogs and Roos, when we both play Geelong again later in the year it'll be a different story imo.

Will Geelong be able to keep it up? I doubt it.

Tonight and last week were aberrations for the Dogs and Roos, when we both play Geelong again later in the year it'll be a different story imo.

Don't Geelong miss playing Roos a second time? I think Geelong only have 3 losable games for rest of the year, and they are all played at the cattery (Sydney, doggies, crows). Freo in Perth may be tricky given Freo are stringing some wins together now, but it is hard to see how Geelong are going to lose top spot now. Of course they lost to two bottom 10 sides, so anything is possible, and hopefully their soft run home hurts them in finals. Opposition coaches might have worked out a reliable method of curtailing Dangerfield by September too.

Who will defeat them in the finals? We're looking shaky, North are showing cracks, GWS are talented but lack finals experience. Sydney are the only team I can confidently say are a better team, however if a final was played at the MCG I'd back the Cats.
All those teams have short-medium term injuries, none of them are currently at full potential, something most of them will be at by August I'd imagine with returning players helping their causes

Tonight you saw Geelong at full potential, all 16.4 of it

On another night that's 8.12

Don't Geelong miss playing Roos a second time? I think Geelong only have 3 losable games for rest of the year, and they are all played at the cattery (Sydney, doggies, crows). Freo in Perth may be tricky given Freo are stringing some wins together now, but it is hard to see how Geelong are going to lose top spot now. Of course they lost to two bottom 10 sides, so anything is possible, and hopefully their soft run home hurts them in finals. Opposition coaches might have worked out a reliable method of curtailing Dangerfield by September too.
My bad, North don't play them again, thought they did

North play Hawthorn again though

I don't think anyone debates that Selwood and Dangerfield are great together. Geelong are the best chance for the flag this year, but does anyone think this is the beginning of a multiple premiership run? They are not showing 2007 standard.

I'd still take Gary, anyway.

6-1 against top 8 sides. Sydney game in a couple of weeks will be massive but the evidence has well and truly mounted that gladly yes we are going to be a serious flag threat.

I don't think anyone debates that Selwood and Dangerfield are great together. Geelong are the best chance for the flag this year, but does anyone think this is the beginning of a multiple premiership run? They are not showing 2007 standard.

I'd still take Gary, anyway.

Not possible. We've recruited amazingly but this year is our only shot at it. From next year on GWS will win at least three in a row maybe more. Could even pinch this year. Yes they are already that good and will still get a long way better.

Watching Dangerfield and Selwood together each week is a dominance I havent seen for a long time, and as a neautral Im loving it.

At the start of the the year I would not have though one player could have such an impact, but Danger has been immense, should win the league MVP and Brownlow, and puts the Cats in the premiership contention.

Fantastic, risky, ambititious recruiting so giving massive credit to the Cats here.

Watching Dangerfield and Selwood together each week is a dominance I havent seen for a long time, and as a neautral Im loving it.

At the start of the the year I would not have though one player could have such an impact, but Danger has been immense, should win the league MVP and Brownlow, and puts the Cats in the premiership contention.

Fantastic, risky, ambititious recruiting so giving massive credit to the Cats here.
Not merely Danger, but Smith and Henderson have filled out positions that prior to 2016 had been massive liabilities for us. The impact of their presence amongst others cannot be undermined

Certainly going to be hard to contain Selwood and FIGJAM II. Looking the goods right now but still only June.

Our improvement is based on so much more than Dangerfield, though of course he's helped.

As others have said, Smith is the most competent ruckman we have had since Ottens and has exceeded all expectations so far.

Henderson has recaptured his best form in the backline and all of a sudden the imminent loss of Lonergan doesn't seem to scary.

The flow on effect from Dangerfield is that Selwood gets off the leash more often - his 2016 season is streets ahead of his 2015 - and someone like Guthrie can continue to improve with less attention paid to him.

The return of Menzel has added a new dimension to our forward line. Hopefully neutral supporters can see why we stuck with him for four years of injuries. He is an absolute rare talent and if not for injury would clearly be one of the best mid-size forwards in the league. He's kicked 11 goals in the past three weeks v top six teams in Dogs, North and GWS. He's so hard to match up on because he's powerful and evasive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our improvement is based on so much more than Dangerfield, though of course he's helped.

As others have said, Smith is the most competent ruckman we have had since Ottens and has exceeded all expectations so far.

Henderson has recaptured his best form in the backline and all of a sudden the imminent loss of Lonergan doesn't seem to scary.

The flow on effect from Dangerfield is that Selwood gets off the leash more often - his 2016 season is streets ahead of his 2015 - and someone like Guthrie can continue to improve with less attention paid to him.

The return of Menzel has added a new dimension to our forward line. Hopefully neutral supporters can see why we stuck with him for four years of injuries. He is an absolute rare talent and if not for injury would clearly be one of the best mid-size forwards in the league. He's kicked 11 goals in the past three weeks v top six teams in Dogs, North and GWS. He's so hard to match up on because he's powerful and evasive.
No one has ever doubted Menzel is a freakish talent. Was destined to be a gun if he could ever stay on the park. Every footy fan hopes he can because he is great to watch.

Absolutely spot on post.

Geelong are serious contenders. Their season is really starting to take shape. Going to have to hold that top 2 spot but given the draw they've got I can't see that sliding. Hawthorn and Sydney will be huge challenges come finals, but they've got the list to win if they play their best footy. I think Geelong at their best is the best side in 2016. Drop off 10-15% and Sydney or Hawthorn will nab it.

Perhaps they think the way that you are continually trying to convince us all that your team is going to win the flag is embarrassing.

The following two things are a formality.

Geelong Cats - 2016 AFL Premiers.
P Dangerfield - 2016 Brownlow Medallist.

Not merely Danger, but Smith and Henderson have filled out positions that prior to 2016 had been massive liabilities for us. The impact of their presence amongst others cannot be undermined

Yes, that's the point that many of us have making for eight months, in response to the "Lol, how is one good player going to improve them from tenth to first??" crowd. It wasn't just Dangerfield that Geelong added over the offseason. Geelong added a genuine ruckman, a quality centre half back, a midfielder who may or may not have become a vital cog for us, as well as expecting much improved contributions at centre half forward (either Stanley, Vardy, or Clark), from our small forwards (McCarthy and Menzel) and in the midfield (Duncan and Bartel) who all played 11 games or less in 2015.

If you took the time to look closely enough, it was pretty clear where the improvement could be expected from and it wasn't just Dangerfield.

Yes, that's the point that many of us have making for eight months, in response to the "Lol, how is one good player going to improve them from tenth to first??" crowd. It wasn't just Dangerfield that Geelong added over the offseason. Geelong added a genuine ruckman, a quality centre half back, a midfielder who may or may not have become a vital cog for us, as well as expecting much improved contributions at centre half forward (either Stanley, Vardy, or Clark), from our small forwards (McCarthy and Menzel) and in the midfield (Duncan and Bartel) who all played 11 games or less in 2015.

If you took the time to look closely enough, it was pretty clear where the improvement could be expected from and it wasn't just Dangerfield.
Where will Clark fit in? played rather well today so you'd think another strong performance next week and he'll be in the mix after the bye. Who makes way as I think overall Kersten is presenting well enough to stay.

Where will Clark fit in? played rather well today so you'd think another strong performance next week and he'll be in the mix after the bye. Who makes way as I think overall Kersten is presenting well enough to stay.

I'm not sure anyone does. The point was, if one of Vardy, Clark or Stanley (or some combination) was pretty much available throughout 2016, it's a fair upgrade from what Geelong had in 2015. If he earns a spot, good for him. If not, well, that's how it goes sometimes.

I'm not sure anyone does. The point was, if one of Vardy, Clark or Stanley (or some combination) was pretty much available throughout 2016, it's a fair upgrade from what Geelong had in 2015. If he earns a spot, good for him. If not, well, that's how it goes sometimes.
Ok, I was asking for an opinion on who'd be most vulnerable atm because his last two VFL games have been impressive and today he definitely was a cut above VFL football. I just get the feeling they're itching to pick him after the bye.

*What's a 'tatoo'?

To answer your poorly expressed question, it's a typo I made while trying to type on a phone in a hurry. What's your excuse for all the missing capitalisation and punctuation in your post? Some kind of attempt at irony?

untwist your knickers princess, everything is going to be ok.

Back