Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

But what if nobody wants him? That seems fairly likely if he's as terrible as you think. Not sure why a team would give up a pick for him now when he's a free agent next season, and they can sign him for cheaper.
I understand that he won’t be easy to shift but we should try anyway and see if someone wants him.

Not going get anything for him, he is more valuable to us then a pick in the 60s

Had a good back half, I want to see him under a new coach elite skills they all can't be superstars.

I understand that he won’t be easy to shift but we should try anyway and see if someone wants him.
Clubs talk to each other during trade period. Players are discussed. It doesn’t need to be announced to fans.
If a club comes with a decent offer it will be considered.

Not going get anything for him, he is more valuable to us then a pick in the 60s

Had a good back half, I want to see him under a new coach elite skills they all can't be superstars.
Soft in defence and soft at the contest don’t think the new coaches will like that

Soft in defence and soft at the contest don’t think the new coaches will like that

Well unless some of these kids step up and take the spot he won't be going anywhere.

Can't imagine he gets big money 2 year deal.

I think we just have to see how this season plays out if kids are taking WHE spot that's perfect, easy decision, unfortunately we can't really afford to lose best 22 players.

Well unless some of these kids step up and take the spot he won't be going anywhere.

I think we just have to see how this season plays out if kids are taking WHE spot that's perfect, easy decision, unfortunately we can't really afford to lose best 22 players.
He isn’t a best 22 player

Sadly the bolded is all too true.

Hopefully he’s not next year because that will mean the young players have really stepped up. But just giving him away isn’t an option. Most Collingwood fans are tired of being bent over at the trade table.

He is until he isn’t. And if he isn’t, it’s not just because you say so. He’s been an automatic selection for his entire career.

The list remains in transition with a long list of second and third year players still developing. Players like WHE might get slowly passed by in coming years but for now he’s best 22 and required depth in a team that will still lack in next year.

Hopefully he’s not next year because that will mean the young players have really stepped up. But just giving him away isn’t an option. Most Collingwood fans are tired of being bent over at the trade table.
He has no value so if you give him away we haven’t been bent over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is until he isn’t. And if he isn’t, it’s not just because you say so. He’s been an automatic selection for his entire career.

The list remains in transition with a long list of second and third year players still developing. Players like WHE might get slowly passed by in coming years but for now he’s best 22 and required depth in a team that will still lack in next year.
Was getting out performed by kids this year. Weak defensively just coasts on the fact he is a senior player

I think the main issue here is whether he is being overpaid...because there seems to be a few of them. I'd have no problem keeping him on basic money...
He has a contract for next year.

He has a contract for next year.

yeh i know. I looked at the contracts list. I would assume that some people are saying to just sell him off for peanuts to get him off the books....I dont think he's playing that bad. However, if he is being severely overpaid I might consider it.

Wilbur is a jet and won't be going anywhere, has been hanging out Buck's dirty laundry the past couple of years.

He has no value so if you give him away we haven’t been bent over
Yes you have because he is more value on our list than pick 60. We have a lot of kids. You need some experience and depth around them. He provides that even if he is only borderline best 22. We need a balanced list, not 20 kids.

Yes you have because he is more value on our list than pick 60. We have a lot of kids. You need some experience and depth around them. He provides that even if he is only borderline best 22. We need a balanced list, not 20 kids.
No he isn’t as he will be delisted next year as soon as he is out of contract

One obvious problem with that distribution is that not only is it a hard cap, but you have to pay at least 95% of the cap in any given year.

So if you don’t have “6 players” or whatever your arbitrary number is, who are set to be your highly paid players, then you’re forced to overpay someone. That has a cascading effect on the expectation of the rest of the players on your list. Then when a player develops and should reasonably be paid in that top echelon, or you secure a top player from another team, that money isn’t available.

On the flip side, if a highly valued player leaves or retires, you now have a lot more money, but you’re short one talented player to pay it to. So mediocre players get overpaid again unless you can trade in someone worthy, or you have a really talented guy who you want to keep coming out of contract, who wasn’t previously in your top echelon.

So the Pareto principle is a decent model to work with, but it needs to be flexible and you aren’t going to get it anywhere near right in your first year of managing the list.

* Or you front end contracts, running the risk of players ‘taking the money and running’ after their front end period expires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back