Analysis Will we be better next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

i know we are still a chance, but the nagging question is, is this our last chance?
Do we have improvement in us? Are we on a upwards trajectory or have we peaked as a squad?
REH has a thread about 'Career Best Seasons' we need to assume a return to the mean, but this is alleviated by improvements to the youngsters.

Backs
I can only see this department improving, they are young, mostly durable and an effective unit. - IMPROVE

Mids
I can't see where we will get better here, Ebert is at the top of his game, Boak will still be good, but is on a natural decline, SPP will suffer second season syndrome.
Wines will get better, but he has so little room for improvement as he is already top drawer.
Wingard in the mid will hold us where we are.
Polec won't improve and the LIM's won't add much here - BACKWARDS

Forwards
Dixon is coming into his own, Marshall will get better and Gray is Gray.
Can we add to this department in the off season to have us step up? - SAME

OVERALL
I can't see us getting better, but I can't see us getting worse either. If we can snatch a top four spot we are always a chance, but I don't see us as genuine challengers for the next few years unless the like of Marshall turn into overnight sensations (after a few years :)).

Last edited:
i know we are still a chance, but the nagging question is, is this our last chance?
Do we have improvement in us? Are we on a upwards trajectory or have we peaked as a squad?
REH has a thread about 'Career Best Seasons' we need to assume a return to the mean, but this is alleviated by improvements to the youngsters.

Backs
I can only see this department improving, they are young, mostly durable and an effective unit. - IMPROVE

Mids
I can't see where we will get better here, Ebert is at the top of his game, Boak will still be good, but is on a natural decline, SPP will suffer second season syndrome.
Wines will get better, but he has so little room for improvement as he is already top drawer.

Forwards

OVERALL
I can't see us getting better, but I can't see us getting worse either. If we can snatch a top four spot we are always a chance, but I don't see us as genuine challengers for the next few years unless the like if Marshall turn into overnight sensations (after a few years :)).
I'm still so focussed on 2017, that I haven't really given next year much thought. What I do know is that our list will NEVER be healthier, heading into September, and we have a golden opportunity to do something very special over the next 4 weeks. Bring it on!!!

Two permanent proper tall forwards in our forward line is looking highly likely, in a bigger and more developed Todd (hopefully with some finals experience under his belt) along side our Charles.
I think a few people on this board will pass out from excitement.

Backs

Mids

Forwards

OVERALL
I can't see us getting better, but I can't see us getting worse either. If we can snatch a top four spot we are always a chance, but I don't see us as genuine challengers for the next few years unless the like of Marshall turn into overnight sensations (after a few years :)).

Backs is one of our strongest units and it will just get stronger with excellent young prospects getting more experience.

Forwards. Should improve. We have Marshall who alone should improve our forward line in 2018, and I'm hopeful we add some more prospects or bring someone In to help the forward line.

Mids. Core midfield is pretty stable. Polec can improve by becoming more consistent. The big improvement will be if one of our young running prospects steps up ie Amon , impey or atley drew become solid afl players next season. There is hope there.

Atley to mature in the midfield and I'd expect drew to play 5+ games next year too

I agree as I think Atley is a player who can add to our midfield.

I would not automatically subscribe the second year blues to Powell-Pepper either. He is a player who thrives on the physical stuff and does not take a backward step, the opposition will eventually tag him but I think he will handle it. Our midfield needs a lift but the potential is there.

If Todd Marshall improves our forwards will improve I cannot see them standing still if we can get and effective second tall operating for us.

We do not know what will happen during the Trade Period. It may upset some of us but Trengove is trade bait at this stage and we could swing a deal.

We won't have an injury free year like this year so that will be a step back. We have so many important players who are between 22 and 28 which says they are still in their peak years. Will SPP get the dreaded second year blues? Most of our U/21's will improve but will it be gradual rather than significant?

If you look at the list we don't have many guys who were born in the 1980's. Westhoff is the oldest but he is a bit like Michael Tuck, keeps on keeping on. Paddy born in '88, but rucks peak at an older age and play good footy in their 30's. Boak and Gray were born in '88 and Gray in particular doesn't seem to be slowing down when he plays up forward. Krak was born in '88 but probably wont will be on the list, same with Eddy '89, Gus and White both born '87 probably also wont be around.

However just as injuries are important so is attitude and thinking between the ears. That will be just as important in driving how much we improve.

I think the real question is can we be better as a team in 2018? I think we can.

As REH and others have highlighted above, injuries will play a significant factor, as in our two of our most successful years in the past decade - '14 and '17 - we've had relatively healthy lists all season. We can't continue to bank on getting blessed with these injury-free seasons, so increasing the quality of our squad depth both through development, trading and drafting will be pretty important this off season.

In terms of the actual players, we have a solid young defence that can only get better with age and experience. Clurey has had a breakout year, along with Houston I'd say, with Jonas having a career-best and Doogs showing some good signs back there. DBJ and Pittard have been solid without starring, albeit Pittard with a bit of injury troubles throughout the year. They are still a young group and you'd expect they'd naturally improve as they gain more experience.

Our midfield is more mature than the defence but not old. On their day, a combination of Ebert, Wines, Wingard, Polec, SPP and Boak/Gray can compete with any in the competition. Add Ryder to that mix with one of Trengove/Frampton/even Doogs as a second ruck and you got a force to be reckoned with. We have a good mix of youth, peak-age and mature players in the middle, with players like Atley and Ah Chee (if he sticks around) still waiting for their chance.

The forward line's development will really depend on our structure next year, as if we continue to persist with Dixon and a band of short people we obviously won't see significant development. I we keep players like Marshall and Johnson chances up forward, they can only get better. And we still have players like Neade, Impey, Sam Gray and Young who aren't exactly old and could still hit some nice form in their peak years.

We have the basis of a healthy and relatively young squad available who are getting a taste of finals (and hopefully more!!) this year; we just need to add to the quality of our depth next season to give ourselves the best chance of going further. But of course, none of that matters if we don't get our coaching and attitude right, which as we saw in 2015-16, is no absolute certainty with our current squad and coaches.

So can we do better as a team in 2018? Yes, I think we can. But will we do better in 2018? I have no bloody clue.

Yes we can get better. However, I think it's less about the list and more about coaching, direction, motivation and focus.

Will we get the right (fresh) people in the right roles this off season? Strongly doubt it.

In terms of the list, we need much more from our second winger in Amon/Whoever.

and we need much more from our second tall forward (when one is played).

Outside of that, we're pretty well set till retirements set in.

Yes we can get better. However, I think it's less about the list and more about coaching, direction, motivation and focus.

Will we get the right (fresh) people in the right roles this off season? Strongly doubt it.

In terms of the list, we need much more from our second winger in Amon/Whoever.

and we need much more from our second tall forward (when one is played).

Outside of that, we're pretty well set till retirements set in.

You make a good point re the off field stuff. There is no point in having a good list if you cannot get the best from them and adhere to a dysfunctional game plan. Obviously Ken needs another Richardson or Walsh to work on the tactical aspects of our game. Not sure there is anyone in the market.

Hopefully Ken will lose his gold pass coupon book and continue with the policy of the last few months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our forward line will get better. Same with our back line. I am not sure the midfield will go backwards but I don't see immediate improvement. Overall, I think the ability to improve next year exists, with a healthy list of course. Just add a functional forward line to our current set up and we would be premiership contenders.

Like always, you need luck with injury and second and third tier players to continually step up each year to be successful. We've had that this year.

We will not be better if we don't try and change our team balance.

We will not improve if we don't get the balance and game plan right for the talent on our list.

We will not be better if we don't head hunt someone to support Hinkley either as a coaching director or another senior assistant.

We will not be better if we don't learn how to go 1 on 1 when required to slow the opposition down.

We will not be better if we refuse to trade/delist players that fail year in year out in important games.

We will not be better if we don't trade aggressively for what we need- skills!!!

Hard decisions are required for us to improve.

The key for next year, with a harder fixture, is to make sure we win our fair share of games against top 8 opposition. We go 50-50 in those and we'll have improved no doubt. This squad definitely has improvement in it

The key for next year, with a harder fixture, is to make sure we win our fair share of games against top 8 opposition.
Bingo. Sure we can look good v the lower sides but Melb St Kilda are coming and lets be honest some of our footy this year
has been shocking. The key to next year is Ken plain and simple. He needs tactical nous in to help him. Drop the great bloke tag
and be objective in selections. Am expecting Lienert to get his chance next year.

There may not be much of an improvement from where we are at the moment but whereas this year we spent a lot of time with Pittard, Broadbent and Hombsch injured and out of form and also playing Young and Impey, decisions have been made and the deadwood has been shown that it will have to earn its' way back. If Broadbent can get back to his 2014 form then he would be part of our best 22 and the same applies with Hombsch. Sam Gray is now a good part of the forward line and should be more consistent next year.

Mainly, how I see it is that Hinkley did not make all the right decisions during the year but has finally realised that to win he must cut a few of his favourites and get them to earn their way back. And this can only be good for us next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back