Worst forward line, midfield, and defence to win a premiership in the AFL era?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
The 2006 Eagles had a pretty terrible forward line. The midfield had to continually overextend itself and kick goals to compensate. Oh, what I would've given for them to have had a time-traveled Josh Kennedy on those teams. I believe the 2005 Eagles had the least marks inside 50 per game in the entire AFL. That has to be an outlier for a team that nearly won the premiership.

The 2006 Eagles had a pretty terrible forward line. The midfield had to continually overextend itself and kick goals to compensate. Oh, what I would've given for them to have had a time-traveled Josh Kennedy on those teams. I believe the 2005 Eagles had the least marks inside 50 per game in the entire AFL. That has to be an outlier for a team that nearly won the premiership.
Very similar to Collingwood last year. If Bobby Hill didn't have the game of his career, it'd have been a very different story.

Sydney's forward line in 2012 wasn't great so they picked up Tippett and Franklin in the next 2 years

You could probably argue Hawthorn's backline in 08 especially when Croad played less than half a game

Richmond's midfield (factoring Martin rolled forward so often) is probably the most underwhelming of any side to win three flags. Carried by their bookends.
Agree midfield wasn’t dominant but I think the fact we had so many mid/forwards that excelled in both roles but weren’t masters in the middle was the reason we were so good.
Players like Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards, Shai Bolton, Kane lambert, Josh Caddy all rotating mid/fwd. F me I’m gunna cry, just miss em

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Ellen - 5 goals in the 97 GF.

IIRC he only kicked something like 17 for his whole career. It was a hail mary move that worked.

Probably Geelong 07-11 was the most impressive considering what they achieved

3 Flags with no Coleman or Brownlow medalists in it and their best KPF was Mooney.

Lions, Hawks and Tigers all had ones
Key forwards weren't superstars but all three Norm Smith Medalists happened to be forwards - Johnson '07, Chapman '09, Bartel '11 (as an undersized KPF after Pods busted his shoulder), and all elite.

North in 96 had a very workmanlike midfield.

Schwass, Rock, Freeborn, Stevens, Simpson.

Not bad players by any means but not the top of the line players.

Great bookends though and pretty much no passengers in that team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back