Autopsy Your Teams best win and worst loss of the home and away season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Best performance - v Swans @ the MCG & it's always good defeating Collingwood

Worst - late game in the season v Essendon , had it all but won only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
No comment on the Collingwood game, I get that has meaning beyond our ken. :oops:But not knocking off a top 4 side?

Best win: Freo - we never flog teams and really needed to pump Freo to give us a shot at not having to travel in the first week of finals. Managed to do it, and the rest is history.

Worst loss: St Kilda - Saints looked awesome and we looked disgusting. Compounded by the fact I was there with a group of Saints fans made it a pretty horrid night.

I feel like performances fit better because sometimes you can walk away from a loss feeling great and vice versa.

Best performance: Round 6 v Geelong. Backing up after ANZAC day off a five day break we never gave the previously unbeaten Cats a sniff and played the footy that I want to see us bring week to week. To me it re-enforced what our group is capable of, but their inability to bring it quarter to quarter let alone week to week is infuriating.

Worst performance: I can't split the 125 year anniversary match v Carlton and round 3 v Sydney. The Carlton one was just a flat lifeless experience on what should have been a great day for the club. Never mind Carlton are s**t and losing to them always hurts. The Sydney match will be polarising, but we were 21 points up at 1/4 time and absolutely dominating against Sydney's U21 team then failed to win any of the last three quarters when our season had already got off to a slow start. We shouldn't have won that one and it genuinely felt like a loss.

Best win: You could say Round 1 against GWS as they were going into the season as flag favourites and we didn't know how the Crows could have improved during the off-season. Flogging GWS really set up our season, as one poster put it.

But even better was the win against Geelong, later in the season. The game was being called 'Judgment Day' and it felt like the build-up to a final. We had entered a mid-season malaise, with other sides having worked us out and the Crows lacking the hard edge required to win a flag.

Geelong remained our bogeys and if we couldn't beat them, they would become an almost-impenetrable wall between us and flag hopes. We beat them with pressure and physicality, something we hadn't seen a lot of from the Pyke Crows.

Worst loss: You could say the thrashing by North in Tasmania which started the malaise, but I think the loss to Hawthorn at home was worse.

We had beaten Hawthorn at the G, and a side that was sitting 17th on the ladder waltzed into our home ground and took the chocolates. The fact that we'd already lost several games in that manner made it worse.

Best Win - Melbourne at the MCG. That third quarter was the sort of football that I dream Freo playing more regularly but predictably we let them back in before McCarthy bobs up with the winner.

Worst Loss - Take your pick. Could put a blanket over several of them.

In no order though

Round 2 vs Port - horror
Round 11 vs Pies - we were weak as piss and only lost by 20
Round 12 vs Lions - piss weak
Round 22 vs Tigers - last game at Domain and serve that crap up

The final against Port was our best win all things considered but limiting to just H&A I would say beating Geelong and actually the first win against Port over at 'Second Home' were our best during the season. Also enjoyed squeaking into the finals, showed the team could actually lift a little when something was on the line (albeit against a mildly interested opponent).

Low Point...for me it was the Hawthorn loss. It just showed us early on that nothing had changed from 2016, the soft underbelly was still just waiting to be exposed and they just did not show up. Awful. Did it again against the Bombers later in the year.

Also blew so many winnable games, Collingwood especially, Gold Coast (for gods sake), Melbourne and St Kilda. All teams it was very disappointing to lose to at the time.

Was truely a forgettable year.

I feel like performances fit better because sometimes you can walk away from a loss feeling great and vice versa.

Best performance: Round 6 v Geelong. Backing up after ANZAC day off a five day break we never gave the previously unbeaten Cats a sniff and played the footy that I want to see us bring week to week. To me it re-enforced what our group is capable of, but their inability to bring it quarter to quarter let alone week to week is infuriating.

Worst performance: I can't split the 125 year anniversary match v Carlton and round 3 v Sydney. The Carlton one was just a flat lifeless experience on what should have been a great day for the club. Never mind Carlton are s**t and losing to them always hurts. The Sydney match will be polarising, but we were 21 points up at 1/4 time and absolutely dominating against Sydney's U21 team then failed to win any of the last three quarters when our season had already got off to a slow start. We shouldn't have won that one and it genuinely felt like a loss.
God that Sydney win was horrible. We broke the club record for tackles and beat their NEAFL team by only a point.

Best win: hard to split Geelong and Hawthorn, West Coast
Worst loss: GWS R2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best win: No really good ones, but Adelaide at Bellerive was good for most of the game.

Worst loss: Collingwood round 20 was a bad choice to go to Melbourne for the weekend; both games Richmond and St Kilda either side of the by were horrendous. At the time I would have said the Richmond game. Knowing what we do now, I give it to the St Kilda game in round 13.

Most frustrating: two losses to Western Bulldogs by a combined margin of two points.

Best Win: Hard to go past the Elimination Final against Port. Everything we’re not known for in recent times. Toughed it out against a top eight side away from home and even when Port appeared to have put us away in extra time, rallied one more time.

Worst Loss: With special mentions to the Etihad game against Essendon and the MCG fiasco against Hawthorn, for me it was Collingwood at Etihad. 18 points up at 3/4 time against a team missing crucial players, kick the first goal of the last quarter and seem to be somewhat on the way to redeeming our awful performances in Melbourne. What happened in the final 15 minutes should haunt every player in an Eagles jumper for a while yet.
Pretty much, though could add the Melbourne game as well; 20 plus points up at home with about 15 mins to go and blew it. Honourable mentions to St Kilda (same scenario) and Gold Coadt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back