Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Here's a grouse separated-at-birth job I just turned up in my archives: Ryan Lester and Let The Blood Run Free's Warren Cronkshonk.

720ryan.jpg
720warren.jpg

Who is gonna poll more Brownlow votes do you guys think? Hanley or Rockliff?

I reckon Rockliff. He had one of the best end of the seasons on midfielders in the league and that coincided with us winning quite a few games. He's poor patch coincided with our run of losses so Lions players wouldn't have polled well in those games anyway

Pushed to the limit and beyond
1 October 2013
Tim Pekin

Playing under the Fitzroy coach was at times a terrifying experience, writes Tim Pekin.
On the cold open tundra of Waverley Park, nearly 30 years ago, Robert Walls was as hostile as I'd ever seen. The Fitzroy coach's usual demeanour was so grim that a scowl construed a positive comment.

Savage outbursts were not uncommon, yet Walls had raised the bar with this new level of seething hostility. He wrenched his hands open and shut, pacing in front of the race entrance, looking, it seemed, for someone to throttle. As players came onto the ground in dribs and drabs, they quickly averted their eyes and skittered away into their warm-up lap.

Fitzroy in the early-to-mid 1980s was a good team, with Roos, Pert and Osborne emerging, alongside old champions in Quinlan and Garry Wilson. The previous Saturday this team had put in a ''soft pissweak performance'' and was easily beaten. Add to that it was against Walls' old club, Carlton, and you start to understand Walls' ignominy.

Yet what tipped Walls over the edge was finding a large number of players in the medical rooms, in high spirits, awaiting treatment for various injuries, real or feigned. Walls' lividity at not having all the culprits from his team available for the torturous Tuesday evening training session he had so meticulously planned, was quietly terrifying.

As we gathered in front of Walls on this wintry eve, awaiting retribution, I realised this was the likely fulfilment of the nightmarish potential I had detected two years earlier.

My first clear memory of meeting Walls was arriving at Bulleen Park in January 1983 for my debut pre-season training session. He was wearing short running shorts and a singlet and was bellowing instructions at 60-odd Fitzroy hopefuls, all similarly garbed.

It may seem strange to hear that this article is a tribute to Robert Walls.

Yes, Walls gave many players the opportunity to push far beyond preconceived mental limits. And gave many players the chance to become far better than they were through sustained hard work and perseverance. Cheers Robert Walls.

wallsy-620x349.jpg

robbie-620x349.jpg

I was only a young fella, but Timmy Pekin was as underrated as they got at the Roys in the mid-late 80's.

And as for Robert Walls...I could be wrong, but I'm surprised there isn't some kind of medal awarded to a player for something on an annual basis at the B&F in Wallsy's name.

Reported some weeks ago that I saw Cal Bartlett bouncing a sherrin at Carindale with some of the other guys. Saw him at Carindale with Golby today again, walking around with a sherrin.

As a side note, I would have thought he would have moved back to Melb by now to explore his opportunities?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three of those unaffected by this plague like my post as an metaphorically understanding pat on the back to my plight... grizzlym, can you save us from this tragedy?

Three of those unaffected by this plague like my post as an metaphorically understanding pat on the back to my plight... grizzlym, can you save us from this tragedy?

Unaffected? Mr Ripper got his name for his wholehearted endorsement of Polec as a "bit of a ripper"!

Reported some weeks ago that I saw Cal Bartlett bouncing a sherrin at Carindale with some of the other guys. Saw him at Carindale with Golby today again, walking around with a sherrin.

As a side note, I would have thought he would have moved back to Melb by now to explore his opportunities?

Is quite settled in Brisbane with his girlfriend.

Cant find a thread for your upcoming juniors, so i'll post this here as it may be of interest ...

earlier this year i posted on the SUNS thread;
"a kid called Wylie Buzza started playing AFL for the first time last season (2012). Just 16yo, he played 5 games for the local Lockyer Valley u16s side but was soon snapped up by the local Darling Downs Crows u18s side that went through undefeated in DIV 2 in 2012. Wylie played all games once selected for the crows.
His big mop of curly hair betrays the fact that he is a hard young kid in the mold of Barry Hall. his father was a rep RL player as a senior, and his mother was a state basketballer..his two sisters are state netballers.

An update.

Wylie has just been invited to trial for the Lions academy later this month.

He got B&F for his club Mt Gravatt (u18s) and came second in the Brisbane comp B&F.

Not bad for his second season of AFL. At 195cm and 100kg, Wylie has his 18 birthday, next year....

You will all be talking about this kid in a season or two. Kids of his size and talent dont come round too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back