Traded Ryan Griffen + Pick 6 traded for Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Boyd saying publicly via his manager that if he dosent get to the dogs this preseason he will next year.
You cant have players saying that then staying at a club.

Sure you can. Manager posturing is just noise, and it will get increasingly loud, so clubs and teammates will learn to ignore it.

Actually getting big signing like that and then positive energy it brings from the supporters is good for morale.
That's how it should work.
Doesn't though.
There is already a chasm between some of the players at Footscray.
There will be a few noses out of joint.

Lets face it, Bulldogs blinked.

Gordon - 'We believe a straight swap of Griffen for Boyd is a fair deal'

Griffen and a second rounder might have been ok, but no they threw in pick 6 AND are paying a third of Griffens salary...

Great deal for GWS. I know they said they wouldnt trade Boyd 'under any circumstances' but hey, they got a huge deal for him that they couldnt say no to.
3-4 years of Ryan Griffen is not even close to 10-12 years of Tom Boyd.

Doggies got their man by cashing in pick 6 for pick 1 and losing a player who wouldn't be part of their next flag.

How can anyone possibly be classing this as a "win" for either team? I've never seen such a "lose-lose" trade.

It's cost the Dogs:
Their Captain
Their Coach
Their president looks like a buffoon
Pick 6
Tom Boyd removed our captain and coach now?

I know people make up BS online, but wow.

Doggies got their man by cashing in pick 6 for pick 1 and losing a player who wouldn't be part of their next flag.
He just signed a 4 year deal.
If dogs don't think they can win within 4 years they may as well bolt the doors closed.
I hate the term "not part of our next premiership" it's a wank

Tom Boyd removed our captain and coach now?

I know people make up BS online, but wow.

Fully understand. Had 2 weeks of Higgins cost us Greenwood, Levi would have left regardless so they in fact had nothing to do with each other.

Boyd wasn't even in considerations when Griffen turned his back, nor when the coach "stepped down".

Boyd was in response to these things. That response has turned the fortunes of the dogs around this off season.

As they say, its not about how hard you hit but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forwards. Dogs were down and have pulled off one of the most significant deals of the year to turn their fortune around.

Every member, supporter and sponsor would be excited about the years ahead now. One would think 50% of that salary will come back in success, marketing and membership.

Believe me, the mega $$ are VERY reliant on performance clauses. The young guns are actually the opposite of being jelly about the bucks, they are stoked the club has made this move.

Can you expand on these performance clauses? The way you put it made it sound like a high percentage of the 6 million will not be earned if he is not up to scratch. Or do you mean that the club has an option for the 1 or 2 years at the end to release him?

Boyd, whilst unproven has all the tools. Undoubtably so. And the doggies had to pay overs to get him down to the club.

But on that money he has to become one of the top 5 players in the game. It could happen, but like I said earlier, all in on a pair of 10's.

Actually getting big signing like that and then positive energy it brings from the supporters is good for morale.

Yeah when its proven performers such as Franklin, Ablett, Judd, Beams its fantastic, when its a 9 gamer there will be tension.

Whatever happens it'll be fascinating anyway.
I hope it works out,just that I think it was a bit one sided and risky but good on them for having the guts to do it.

Who knows they may have just landed a 19 year old one in a million Wayne Carey type who carries the club on his shoulders to glory.
Under a lot more pressure than Carey was albeit.
That's the big unknown for me is how he handles it because he's fair and square under the spotlight now and everyone will refer back to this over and over through his career good or bad.

Yeah when its proven performers such as Franklin, Ablett, Judd, Beams its fantastic, when its a 9 gamer there will be tension.
Wasn't Marc Murphy made part of your leadership group before he even debuted?
Knowing one of his mates, he said from the outset Murphy oozed leadership and was a quality bloke off the field - known things before he'd even played his first game.

Sometimes highly rated juniors show enough to offer strong indications of what they will be - and Boyd debuted as a KPF as an 18 year old after a decorated junior career. It is a risk, but considering our history with forwards - not acting was also a risk

Dogs have taken a huge gamble with this one...high risk but high reward.

To everyone that claims we are irrelevant and vanilla...here is our response. To everyone who said we have to do whatever it takes to get a topline KPF into our club...here is our response.

We've been bold and I for one am a proud bulldog supporter today.

To everyone that claims we are irrelevant and vanilla...here is our response. To everyone who said we have to do whatever it takes to get a topline KPF into our club...here is our response.

And thats why its worth every cent for mine :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just signed a 4 year deal.
If dogs don't think they can win within 4 years they may as well bolt the doors closed.
I hate the term "not part of our next premiership" it's a wank

Agree Rodney.

Theo, its not all about 'not being part of next flag'.

By this logic, you would condone Melbourne getting rid of all their senior players to blood the kids as guys like McDonald were never going to be part of a premiership...which was a horrific fail as the kids had no one to lead them and were getting smashed every week.

And its 3-4 years of Griffen, 12 years of pick 6 AND having to only pay 2/3 of Griffens salary, possibly enabling them to get a 'big fish' next year vs 10-12 years of Tom Boyd.

Iv been pretty adamant that GWS have won this trade quite comfortably, but yes i do agree with what youre saying...if nothing else certainly puts the Dogs on the map and shows they have some balls, which is better than being irrelevant, and who knows it COULD work out well if Boyd becomes the star KPF hes talked up to being

The biggest risk is not taking any risk. As for Boyd's salary, with the feeding frenzy that would have been for his services in 12 months' time, he would have matched that salary. And just wait and see what monstrous salary Jeremy Clayton will be on in 2016, whoever he plays for. It will dwarf Boyd's contract.

Wasn't Marc Murphy made part of your leadership group before he even debuted?
Knowing one of his mates, he said from the outset Murphy oozed leadership and was a quality bloke off the field - known things before he'd even played his first game.

Sometimes highly rated juniors show enough to offer strong indications of what they will be - and Boyd debuted as a KPF as an 18 year old after a decorated junior career. It is a risk, but considering our history with forwards - not acting was also a risk

Pretty sure it was Gibbs who was in the leadership group before playing.

Firstly, Darling kicked 50+ goals in his second season as our main forward. Second, it's 191 cm. Third, Boyd is athletic, but not Darling athletic. Runs high 15's beep, one of the quickest over 20 at WC and super agile.

Also, 0% of possessions outside 40m? He now ranges all over the ground in his defensive forward role.

Did you actually read what I wrote? You just repeated what I said. Sorry typo, and 90% not 9and0%
"Darling has been good but a more half forward flank type key forward. Push up, lead up, figure 8 leading pattern, needs distance on his opponent and 90% of possession outside 40m"
Why are you so defensive? I never said Darling was not good, I just said different. It's obvious Darling is not your no1 forward, Kennedy is. If you had to choose, would it be Darling or Kennedy?

OK if you insist Darling is like J Brown and Dermie....... Happy?

The biggest risk is not taking any risk. As for Boyd's salary, with the feeding frenzy that would have been for his services in 12 months' time, he would have matched that salary. And just wait and see what monstrous salary Jeremy Clayton will be on in 2016, whoever he plays for. It will dwarf Boyd's contract.
But Cameron is an AA that has almost won a Coleman. He would IMO deserve $1M/yr, an 8 game chance on a mil a year is desperate.

Assuming Liam Jones is still there the Dogs should be able to build a forward structure with Boyd. Jones has all the physical attributes of a key forward, but looks lost a lot of the time. If they can get him to play as a foil for Boyd it will also release Crameri to play as a third tall which is best suited to.

But Cameron is an AA that has almost won a Coleman. He would IMO deserve $1M/yr, an 8 game chance on a mil a year is desperate.
We could always sit on our hands and do nothing - that's worked a treat since 1954.

Cameron does have more runs on the board and will be renumerated accordingly in 12 months' time.

TThat's my point, if Boyd is worth 1 mil, what's that make Cameron worth?? 2??

$1m was (supposedly) on the table, $2m wasn't. Franklin or Ablett could've asked for a trade to the Dogs and wouldn't have got $2m.

Cameron's worth is irrelevant because he was not seeking a trade to the Bulldogs.

If the Dogs had a choice of Cameron or Boyd they'd weigh up who they wanted most and what to offer - but they didn't, so we're just waxing over a hypothetical scenario that never existed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back