VFL Round 11 - Collingwood vs Box Hill at Victoria Park (Pies WON 62-60, replay links post 875, page 35)

Remove this Banner Ad

I get so confused sometimes when I read a thread for a match I can't watch then see the stats. Everyone talking about how good Moore was and that Gault was an absolute spud we did nothing. Yet I look at the stats and Gault in fact had 16 possessions 8 marks and 3 tackles.
There seems to be some real bias going on here. If a player is a whipping boy no matter what they do they are spuds but if it is a golden child one possession warrants senior selection.

I get so confused sometimes when I read a thread for a match I can't watch then see the stats. Everyone talking about how good Moore was and that Gault was an absolute spud we did nothing. Yet I look at the stats and Gault in fact had 16 possessions 8 marks and 3 tackles.
There seems to be some real bias going on here. If a player is a whipping boy no matter what they do they are spuds but if it is a golden child one possession warrants senior selection.
That's good numbers for a giant stuck in the forwardline

How old is the Hoff? Could be be the next Blicavs?

Really impressed with Sinclair's first game back and also Moore's marking.
Greenwood's disposal at one stage had me spilling my coffee all over my clothes.
Yes, but how impressive was his attack on the player/ball.
I think he comes in for the big bodies next week.

It is, one camp angry and in denial defending Ben's fitness and the realists who are angry and disappointed and see no point in kidding themselves

If he was ok he'd have finished the match been best on ground and fronted Hawthorn this week

And I'm pissed off that there is zero chance of that happening now be it a tweak twinge or twinkle :mad:

Yuhuh listen anyone angry over a bloke with a tight calf needs their head read, IMO.

Looking at Stats and Watching the game can be 2 entirley different things

Yuhuh listen anyone angry over a bloke with a tight calf needs their head read, IMO.
Bring a cut lunch

Look at this, not only was he unsighted after the 3rd quarter but all evidence of him has been wiped from the history books, how could he not still be in the best even without the final quarter? :p

Best - Collingwood: Moloney, Maynard, Scharenberg, Manteit, Kennedy, Marsh

Bring a cut lunch

Look at this, not only was he unsighted after the 3rd quarter but all evidence of him has been wiped from the history books, how could he not still be in the best even without the final quarter? :p

Best - Collingwood: Moloney, Maynard, Scharenberg, Manteit, Kennedy, Marsh

Well that's something we can both agree on because, Moloney aside, he was clearly BOG at 3/4 time.

Moore started of great........and Gault finished of better.

It was a really weird game.......as some people have said not free flowing at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is my player analysis

Moore- showed fantastic promise. A game difficult for tall forwards he stood out. Significant. Role in 3 of the 1st 4 goals. Presented all day and delivery was poor. Probably will benefit from more VFL footy but should debut in 2015

Maynard - really stepped up today. Big strong kid and likes contests. Is clean with the ball. Showed why there are wraps on him. Going to be really difficult to fit him into the seniors in 2015 but he will be ready when he gets a chance

Greenwood- worked into the game with grunt. Skills et doesn't stand him out at this level but will be AFL ready soon. Even next week.

Sinclair- fantastic return. Strong hands, attacked the contest, pace. Was close to our best in the 1st half. Hope he stays fit and gets a run at it because he can be best 22.

Manteit- loved his endeavour, looks athletic and attacks and takes the game on. Has been quiet at times before today but made real gains in this game. Great mark and goal in the last was a highlight.

Goodyear- intensity was good but struggled skills wise today

Kennedy- very good today but not as good as recent VFL games where he has been outstanding. Hard to get a spot currently but he really deserves some AFL time.

Marsh - solid, aggressive and attacking. Again where do we find a spot for him because would love to see him have a trial

Reid. Just a class above. Praying he was rested in the last not injured. He is ready, should play against the Hawks

Abbott- limping at times but was not the big show but rather no show today. Nothing game.

Shaz- solid HB game possession wise. Didn't really impact the contest and is still hanging back from full commitment. Needs more VFL time.

Young- solid at this level but not pushing anyone out of the 22

Armstong - started very strongly but didn't finish as well. Does a lot of running and is proactive so Plusses for this. Could play senior footy if required

Dwyer good solid contribution. Potential best 22 but where

Gault played okay. Competed hard and 2nd half got good no of possessions. Still a way of

Karnezis- good opportunistic game. Kept us in it in the 3rd. Still probably hasnt the gears for the AFL but hopefully gets a chance for senior footy.

Of the VFL boys Maloney, Hellier and Greenough were great and instrumental in the win

Re: Reid. You have to worry big time about this. I don't like being a pessimist but history has shown us that every time he does something the first statement from the club is "nothing serious" and then we don't see him for an eternity. If this was any other player that the club made this comment about I would be like "ok cool, nothing to worry about" but with Reid "minor" stuff keeps him out for ages.

Young Backmen up the wazoo coming along

Scharenberg Maynard Marsh Frost Manteit Ramsay Langdon Oxley Williams Sinclair

Need some of them to transition to the midfield and draft some forwards :eek:

Scary indeed.
Calf cramp and recovery, continues to build fitness in coming weeks / calf tear that drags on for 4 -6 weeks of rehab.. .

Somebody had better tell the club that the season is nearly over and he has not played a senior game yet.
If he is only playing 3 quarters at this stage of the season then he has fat chance of playing seniors any time soon.

Really interesting to see how we all judge these games. Shaz seems to be the biggest talking point and I have myself become a bit Shaz obsessed when watching the VFL

I am very much in the camp that he is still a fair way off. As the weeks go by I do admit I am a bit worried about the player he will become. My biggest problem at the moment is his hesitancy about taking the game on in any way and that he is almost always led to the ball by his opponent in a contested situation and even then puts very little pressure on.

I am probably watching his too closely but a case in point occurred in the last Q. He played the day on Sicily (71) who didn't do much anyway. Early in the last Sicily led Shaz to the ball in the forward pocket in a very pedestrian fashion, he collected the ball and when he did Shaz whoI expected to barrel him really just slowed up, let Sicily run round and spot up a Box Hill player 20 m out and hit him on the chest. There was no urgency or intensity. It was a real contrast to how even Goodyear, Manteit or Maynard, who may not have the same skill set, went about their game. It was an inside game, low skill, high desperation but Shaz lived on the outside and never really challenged the contest apart from the intercept mark in the 4th and some Tackles in the 3rd.

If a Toovey was in the same position the possession would have never been so easily conceded and once his opponent had the ball intense pressure would have come. Shaz just isn't doing that yet. He can get possession on the outside and he can deliver off HB sideways over 20-30m without fault. That leads to a very high DE. If he was playing in the AFL he would give his opponent so much time and space they would have a birthday. Imagine Walters who kicked 4 from a shoebox on Thurs with such latitude. Shaz just isn't ready in my opinion. He needs the rest of the season most likely to get used to the game again and just get his confidence up
Why people are bothering to analyse a bloke coming off 2 years lost to feet problems and an ACL has we wondering about their use of time/life. Not for very long though. One word: CONFIDENCE.

Young Backmen up the wazoo coming along

Scharenberg Maynard Marsh Frost Manteit Ramsay Langdon Oxley Williams Sinclair

Need some of them to transition to the midfield and draft some forwards :eek:
How many of those have great skills though? I count Scharenberg, Maynard, Ramsay. Williams and Langdon (hot and cold ATM) can be excused because they're great players.

How many of those have great skills though? I count Scharenberg, Maynard, Ramsay. Williams and Langdon (hot and cold ATM) can be excused because they're great players.
They are all young enough to improve, Sinclair for instance is orders of magnitude better with his disposal, wouldn't be worried about anyone in particular, a couple of them are elite

Gault actually played well today, because he played in his best position, the ruck. I see him as our number 3 ruck on the list at the moment, ahead of Cox (who didn't play today).

Corey's best games at VFL level have been in the ruck, I reckon even his best games at senior level have been when he's that ruck support.

Moore did the "pretty things" and is going to be a star, so of course he's going to be talked up, but we don't win that game without Gault being competitive in the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back