Opinion Hurn... is he the right guy for captain?

Is Hurn the right guy for captain?

• Yes, he is the best because he is a good guy and he has receding hair.

• No, let him back off the leash to be a beast like Brock Lesnar.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

When I think of Captain, I think of guys like Cotchin, Van Berlo, Worsfold, Hodge, Selwood ... guys that could/can lift their team when they needed a boost, or do things to change the game.

I honestly don't think Hurn is the right guy. He is too reserved, too concerned about being the nice guy and Mr Reliable. Sure he savaged a couple of Port blokes earlier in the season, but that isn't enough. He doesn't lead by example, or in fact I don't think he leads at all. Even Glass was better for this. He was a marshall of that backline. He doesn't have that bit of dirt or grit in him that good captains have.

I don't necessarily like either Hodgey or Jelwood (as they play for other teams) but hell both of them are a shitload better at being a captain than Hurn. I think it has affected his game too.

If he isn't, then the question that then arises is whom?

He's not the right guy but we have no other obvious options, especially with Emac reverse evolving back into a spud. It would have been Beau Waters if his body didn't pack it.

I thought he had been throwing his weight around a bit more this year but I agree I dont think captaincy suits him. Shuey could be a good captain. He is more consistent now and puts his all into it

Too timid, too docile. Always thought Mackenzie shouldve been named captain but i guess that wont work nowadays given his form and last seasons injury.

The Shuey nomination is a good one though. He's really improved and just seems like leadership material these days.

I care more about his shitty form, disposal and decision making. This is a bloke who'd be so lethal coming out of defence but he so often turns it over this year. It hurts more when you structure aggressively to utilise his tools.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one bloke this year who is a regular in the 22 and has improved his game and effort is Shuey.
The only other one is Hill and maybe Lycett.

The rest have been around the same (Gov, Shep, Priddis, Nic, JK, JD) or worse (everyone else inc Simmo)

Shuey's the only option.

Set the standard early in the first final v Hawthorn last year but just doesn't do it anywhere near often enough. That was the Hurn we need as a leader.

Shuey needs to take over. Our best player on the ground by far, has really improved his consistency and would kill himself to win the footy.

Hurn needs a stint in the WAFL imo to build some confidence he's been very poor the last 4 or 5 weeks, much like LeCras.

Back