• Richmond

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 41 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah even Essendon can do that.
success-gif.gif

See Joffa's facebook post below from earlier in the week - sorry Joffa, you got it slightly wrong mate (tipping the Pies by 100 points).

Joffa Corfe
Yesterday at 7:24pm · · Sports · Thoughts
A notice to all Richmond fans..Leave your engines running in the MCG car park... yous wont be in there for long..dont worry your cars wont be nicked we dont drive Valiants and Humbers. Pies alive and cakewalking as we storm all over the greatest unachievers in the competition, Pies by 100 plus TIP your WINNING margin.

Neither had those skills when they were Grundy's age, and neither was as effective as Grundy is now when they were his age, either.

Gawn has always been an excellent mark, can't speak for Goldy although I remember him slotting 5 against us in 2009.

I'm not saying Grundy will be a dud, he is probably the best ruck in the league at ground level. Just I have question marks over his kicking and overhead marking.

...and they won't have Grundys ability to contest his own ball at ground level. Big call, Grundy is improving all the time, yet to peak, still young.
That's only because Collingwood are always chasing the ball on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet here you are on page 29.
I always wonder about these response.

'Then why'd you comment?', 'why're you here then?'

I still go on BF when the footy is on and read posts, that's why. There's a thread on GWS being a Lamborghini, I'm gonna read it, doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

That's only because Collingwood are always chasing the ball on the ground.
Insipid remark, pathetic attempt at humour.
Grundy actually had 29 hit outs against North and 25 & 22 hit outs against the Dee's. Hardly smashed. As for his ground work he acts like an extra midfielder in his ability to contest clearances. He acts almost like a ruck-rover to his own clearances.

Gawn has always been an excellent mark, can't speak for Goldy although I remember him slotting 5 against us in 2009.

I'm not saying Grundy will be a dud, he is probably the best ruck in the league at ground level.

I don't think he's got any less ability than Goldstein circa 2010 or Gawn circa 2013 (when they were the same age), or any less potential. He's certainly shown just as much (if not more) consistent good form.

He'd be among the top 5-10 ruckmen in the league this year, and he's still a couple of years away from even entering his prime as a footballer. He's only going to get more effective with age and more experience, and the decline of other top ruckmen.

By the time he's in his prime (25-29 years old, 2019-2023), ruckmen born in the '80s (eg. Goldstein, Mumford, Jacobs, Tippett) will be past theirs, and the next generation onwards isn't exactly better as a collective than the best of 2016:

1994 - Grundy, Toby Nankervis, Lewis Pierce
1993 - Rory Lobb (more of a forward), Billy Longer, Tom Downie, Fraser McInnes
1992 - Tom Nicholls, Scott Lycett, Jarrod Witts (current teammate), Dan Gorringe, Sam Naismith
1991 - Max Gawn, Tom Hickey, Mark Blicavs, Jon Ceglar, Andrew Phillips, Tom Campbell, Majak Daw, Jack Hannath
1990 - Nic Naitanui, Zac Smith, Jackson Trengove, Rhys Stanley, Jordan Roughead, Zac Clarke, Shaun McKernan

And as those guys drop off, and Grundy works though his prime in his mid-to-late 20s, there's very few ruckmen of note his age or below on the horizon. There'll obviously be someone coming up from below, but he comfortably #1 among those born 1993-1997 right now and very likely going forward by the looks of things too.

Just I have question marks over his kicking and overhead marking.

I agree, they're not his strengths, but they're probably the least important aspects of a ruckman's game, because they're not really a part of good ruck work or being a good ruckman (yes, the whole "ruckmen must take marks" thing is an antiquated notion. We have sophisticated defenders and other capable KPP for that nowdays). Ideally, the team would be directing the ball to the better ball users in open play, and having the ruckman do the grunt work, which Grundy is also quite good at. If they insist on using him as a linking option around the ground, he can always learn and grow and improve from where he is now, too.

As for his ground work he acts like an extra midfielder in his ability to contest clearances. He acts almost like a ruck-rover to his own clearances.

It's great that he's good at that, but it shouldn't be treated as some special point of difference, as that's actually what a ruckman is meant to do - contest the tap, then be involved in the contest around the stoppage, either clearing the way for his midfielders (blocks, bumps, tap-ons), stopping the other team from moving the ball cleanly (tackles, bumps), or winning the ball himself or moving it forward to a teammate or to gain ground.

Last edited:
Back