List Management | End of year discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

At best he was ordinary. He played 15 games which is great for his conditioning. Played mainly as a stay at home forward. All the BHH forwards had a tough time this year and Hardwick was no exception.

Yep, he won't be ready for regular senior footy in 2017 if thats what some people are thinking.

Great summary Caseman!

Big Boy also looks well and truelly cooked to me and I will be very surprised if he pulls on the boots next year.

Yea? I'll take that bet, he'll play mate. I know he hasn't been a superstar but I do think there is one more twist in the Big Boy story. The only elite trait he has is his tank. Next year we might see him playing more as a permanent ruck dropping back into defence to help out. Think he can make a solid contribution there.

Fai
Yea? I'll take that bet, he'll play mate. I know he hasn't been a superstar but I do think there is one more twist in the Big Boy story. The only elite trait he has is his tank. Next year we might see him playing more as a permanent ruck dropping back into defence to help out. Think he can make a solid contribution there.

Fair enough. In my opinion it will probably depend on the quality of the free agent ruckmen in this trade period.

I do worry though if we have Big Boy as our number one ruckmen next year going up against young turks such as Sam Jacobs, Todd Goldstein, etc who will jump all over him.

My theory with rucks is that two good ruckmrn basically cancel out each others output but a good ruck against a sub par ruckman will cause the other team a lot of pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fai

Fair enough. In my opinion it will probably depend on the quality of the free agent ruckmen in this trade period.

I do worry though if we have Big Boy as our number one ruckmen next year going up against young turks such as Sam Jacobs, Todd Goldstein, etc who will jump all over him.

My theory with rucks is that two good ruckmrn basically cancel out each others output but a good ruck against a sub par ruckman will cause the other team a lot of pain.

Yep watching Gawn destroy us was painful

The longer all this offseason goes the more I wouldnt mind seeing a bit of a clean out.

Real opportunity to regenerate the list ASAP.

* we already have 1 primary list spot free
Spangher - retire
Willsmore - delisted
Webster - delisted
Hartung - traded
Hill - traded
JML - delisted
Litherland - traded

McEvoy - traded (obviously need another ruck to come in but I don't mind the sound of Fitzpatrick as #1 based on the promise hes shown)

Langford - keep
Brand - keep
O'Rourke - keep
Breust - keep
Sicily - keep
O'Brien - keep
Heatherley - keep
Woodward - elevate and play from R1

I can see a large amount of improvement in the above keepers tbh including Breust.

Give JOR and TOB another year before judging harshly.

Id rather we lose Poppy or Shoey before any of these guys due to potential for development left.

With McEvoy out that opens up 8 primary list spots.

Add Stewart and Woody to the senior list and have 3 spots for rookies and reduce our open primary list spots to 6.

Trade in JOM TOM and Ty

We still need another ruck on top of Tys back up work. Witts or Naismith please.

Another KPF - Sam Reid whispers are excellent as he is also a genuine KPD

That leaves one pick in the draft - most likely a pick in the 50s ish - who I would love to see us nab a mature age kid.

WA's Liam Ryan seems to have some genuine buzz but maybe wont last, VFL's own Gibbons could be anything I hear.

3 Rookie List spots
- one for a speedy winger type whose not averse to a hard tackle or contested ball
- one for a decent mid range running back
- very last spot for Morabito. Not convinced he will even be back but I love the idea of giving him a go.

If we nominate Jarman I'd be pleasantly surprised.

So:
OUTS - INS
- McEvoy - Naismith/Witts
- Litherland - Reid
- Hill - Mitchell
- Hartung - JOM
- Spangher - Vickery
- JML - Morabito
- Webster - Woodward - Rookie
- Willsmore - Stewart - Rookie
- * - Jarman/Mature Ager

Or, we keep the role players and get in some top talent via FA once we do a North and dump all of Hodge, Mitchell, GIBBO and Burgeers next year.

Football is bloody harsh like that. Unless you genuinely think you can win a gf after a good run (and '91 is a rare exception with exceptional circumstances) then you are better off cutting older players straight away even if they are in your best 22. Maybe the club thinks that if Roughy plays next year we are every chance to win again?

Would seem odd. Billy got dropped late in the year would not surprise if Billy jumps.

Stewart and Willsmore can play wing. Both are smarter than Billy.

I would want Lovell on the wing before either of them.

Does he have the endurance?

At the draft combine he did a 14.10 beep test. Not at Hartung levels - but still fairly handy. Has a good 20m sprint time, an unofficial record in the agility sprint at the last combine. Also this quote from a story about him last year about what he achieved at the interstate carnival in 2015:

When last tested, the Tasmanian ran 14.9 in the beep test and recorded times of 2.99 seconds in the 20m sprint and 7.98 seconds in the agility test — elite for his age group.

“Even though he’s small in stature, he’s a very good all-round athlete; terrific speed and agility but he’s also got good endurance,” Sanders says. “He’s got a good power base, so his vertical jump measures up pretty well as well. He’s got some nice attributes.”

Even as it stands - if we keep Hartung I think Lovell will be pressuring him for inclusion in the side. Hartung won't be able to rest on his laurels just because Hill is gone.

Lovell's not a wingman. His strength is getting the ball in traffic.

I agree this is his main skillset. However - it won't be a priority need if we get T-Mitch and if Woody can get back to his best and start pressing for selection. If Lovell can have a good pre-season and start pressing a claim - then if we do end up trading Hartung I feel that Lovell could play on the wing. Should Hartung stay - then I think Lovell could be a good option to use as backup/understudy to this role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back