Welcome Cam McCarthy - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

SPS would be a good pickup as would Logue. Berry looks okay too as a tallish utility.

SPP has a Dusty Martin look about him, 12 might be a bit overs but no way he falls to our crappy second rounder. He's WA too and has as you said performed well at the combine. For once I'd like someone that will plonk into the 1sts and not spend eternity plodding around in the 2's only to be delisted 2 years later ... lol

Anyway, will leave you blokes to it, this is a Cam McCarthy thread :thumbsu:

pop in any time mate, you've always been good value

I'm actually all for Cam getting number 29. It should be given to a good young key forward, and it could be a huge mental boost for McCarthy who obviously loves the club.
Pav is his hero.

There's a middling-to-fair chance that giving him #29 will turn him into a blubbering mess and becoming useless, imagine all that pressure! :D

Just knew it was only a matter of time given his response to the question from 2:12 back when he was nominated for the Rising Star. Good luck Cam. I'm backing your obvious energy and free spirited nature to put the rough ride you've had behind you and to kick some serious goals. Great to get a die hard back to where he belongs!

As a fan did you know the club was targetting Sheed when you did the downgrade ?
Yep. We knew he would still be there most likely. And Collingwood agreed not to take him with their first two picks before our first. There is probably a similar gentleman's agreement between GWS and you. well done freo you are cleaning up so far in this trade period.

Pav is his hero.

There's a middling-to-fair chance that giving him #29 will turn him into a blubbering mess and becoming useless, imagine all that pressure! :D

I say we give him a choice. If he wants 29 its his. Might increase his confidence. The club will wrap its arms around him and get him up and about.

Pretty good way to overload the young kid with pressure when he's already not the strongest willed individual - let him forge his own legacy with his own number.
I'm not bothered which number he selects/is given but I'm inclined toward the opposite opinion regarding his strength of mind.
He may or may not be over any mental/psychological issues but my thinking is that sitting the year out rather than subjecting himself to the dictates of GWS, indicates very strong will and integrity.
I expect he'll be a Freo champ.
Wish him a long,successful and injury free Freo career.

We can't lose on this. Even if heaven forbid he doesn't make it as a player *smashes wood* we still did a good job of trading down all of 4 picks to get two more, one of which will then help us to get another one of our targets. I'm estatic. I see no way in which we lose on this, both in who we draft and for this trade period, along with the future.

I'm not bothered which number he selects/is given but I'm inclined toward the opposite opinion regarding his strength of mind.
He may or may not be over any mental/psychological issues but my thinking is that by sitting the year out rather than subjecting himself to the dictates of GWS, indicates very strong will and integrity.
I expect he'll be a Freo champ.
Wish him a long,successful and injury free Freo career.
Do you think he has got the ticker to be scragged all day long with s**t delivery inside the 50?

Pretty good way to overload the young kid with pressure when he's already not the strongest willed individual - let him forge his own legacy with his own number.

Fair point. He can always say no though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you look at this trade and take into account where McCarthy was picked we essentially got pick 7, 14, 34 and 72 for pick 3. If McCarthy has a good year in 2017 (which my gut feel is that he will), this will be viewed as a masterstroke by the club.

If you look at this trade and take into account where McCarthy was picked we essentially got pick 7, 14, 34 and 72 for pick 3. If McCarthy has a good year in 2017 (which my gut feel is that he will), this will be viewed as a masterstroke by the club.
If my maths is correct, it essentially has become;
2015 Pick 35 for: Bennell, Tucker, 2016 #7 + #34 + #72.

GWS' arrogance = Dockers treasure :cool:

Between him, Ape, Kersten and Tabs I'd want to see 100 goals with one of them kicking 40+ themselves next season.
Big ask for what is practically a new forward line that hasn't played together. Hope you're right though.
Iit is basicly asking for them to average a little more then 1 goal/game. At least when they all play all games which looks unlikely. Don't think we will/can play those 4 all at once, I'd say 3 and Yarran and Walters. And Fyfe/Bennell/other midfielder to rotate.

it's crazy that had we won a few more games this year (but still been waaay off finals) this never would have eventuated.

The cynic in me tells me this trade aint over - like the bennell trade was in two parts last year.

Also imagine having Black, Kersten, Apeness & McCarthy. A bead of sweat just ran down Taberner's never-ending forehead.

Also Also, gut feeling Hamling stays with dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back