Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Trent Cotchin on winning the Brownlow medal. He had an insane 2012 season that year and he was close to if not the number one ranked player in the league. He had arguably the best season of his career in 2012.

All-Australian
AFLCA player of the year
Richmond Best & Fairest Winner
26 Brownlow votes
606 Disposals (career high)
27.6 disposals - 4.2 marks - 4.9 tackles - 5.1 clearances - 5.3 inside 50s - 1 goal

John Ralph giving Cotch some love in the HUN.
Tune of media seems to have changed since he was awarded the Bownlow.
It has too, the AFL were never going to have an * against the 2012 year. There has to be a winner or Jobe's ban will always get discussed. Now the narrative will focus of Trent and Sam.

I truly think that Prestia and Caddy coming in to the side means that 2012 Cotch will be back. Perhaps he might be even better. Maybe the 2017 Brownlow is on the cards?

I hope so. He has lost a whole lot of confidence in his game, probably sub-consciously as he his attacking instincts have completely left him. I feel like he just needs to have a blinder early in the season... kick an early goal or two against the blues

The flow on effect for the side would be huge

i dont think he has lost any confidence in himself and he was gliding across the ground at the end of the year. i think he is really fit
I agree, I never understood the criticism. I remember seeing him in games go in hard to lead by example (many times) and I think, like many others on here, the inclusion of Presti and Caddy will help immensely!
Richmond brownlow medalist!!!! Finally, wish I could've witnessed it on the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope so. He has lost a whole lot of confidence in his game, probably sub-consciously as he his attacking instincts have completely left him. I feel like he just needs to have a blinder early in the season... kick an early goal or two against the blues

The flow on effect for the side would be huge

I reckon it's symptomatic of the team as a whole. All of our attacking instincts have gone out the door since then. Remember when we had one of the most attacking midfields in the league, with Cotchin, Martin, Deledio & Foley all breaking lines and taking the game on?

I reckon it's symptomatic of the team as a whole. All of our attacking instincts have gone out the door since then. Remember when we had one of the most attacking midfields in the league, with Cotchin, Martin, Deledio & Foley all breaking lines and taking the game on?

2013 highlights with lots of goals from outside 50. Some great tackles too....

I'm thinking of viewing some replays. I am hoping to see Cotchin at his very best. Can any one recommend a game where he was at his finest? Please and thank you :)

Watching Chimpa tear the Dogs a new a-hole in 2012.

Dennis: Here's the kick from Maric, inside the forward 50, just stepping around his man Cotchin takes the easiest of marks.
Tim: He's a genius, this guy.
Lingy: This bloke is an absolute gun. Timmy, what do you think? Brownlow Medal? I know I've called Jobe for the Brownlow, but maybe we're looking at the bloke who might pip him.
Hamish: You can't take it off his son after you've declared it earlier in the year!
Dennis: Hang on, I want to hear from Tim on this one. What do you think, Tim?
Tim: Well, I think he's definitely a Brownlow Medal chance. His last you know month and a half of footy has been extraordinary, Cotchin.
Dennis: Cotchin comes in, aaaand- he puts it through. He's got two.

I think people have forgotten the influence Wayne Campbell had on this kid at that stage as well.

Back off Warchild, seriously......

Cotch has been as good as 2012 in every aspect but one. Goal kicking. Just hasnt been able to get forward often.
Statistically maybe, but he just hasn't been as attacking in general. Though without digging deeper, it could be simply because he's had nothing to kick to. There's definitely been patches of his best, but not sustained like in 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back