List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of interest what figure would you put on it....
I would have thought 4 years @ $525K would be a fair contract at this stage of his career....
You'd think that's possible given cap increase and about right . Certainly a good deal for Jake and not ridiculous for us

Also gives him a chance for his next contract to be his big pay day when he's mid 20s

Not really - it's just contract plus cap increase %

Ie if 100k deal and cap goes up 10% then it's 110k

Can't see how it's difficult for them to work out

I see what you're saying, but the value of "contract" isnt set yet and thats where i see the difficulty. As a player agent, wouldnt you wait to see what that increase was, then use it in negotiations?

They would laugh at that. Disgraceful
mate we've forged a great culture here paying the loyal underachievers just as much as the promising up-and-comers, if you think they're getting a pay cut to make room for a kid with a big head you've got another thing coming.

PS I'm joking, but maybe I'm not joking:eek:

You'd think that's possible given cap increase and about right . Certainly a good deal for Jake and not ridiculous for us

Also gives him a chance for his next contract to be his big pay day when he's mid 20s

$525k for Lever.
Hasn't Betts been on $400k. I don't know if he got a raise just recently but I would have thought Betts was miles in front of Lever.

$525k for Lever.
Hasn't Betts been on $400k. I don't know if he got a raise just recently but I would have thought Betts was miles in front of Lever.
New salary cap

Unfort for Betts and fortunately for us we signed him at his low as a free agent ( after form and injury interrupted season at Carlton who undervalued him) and then he had 3 career best years back to back

Then at age 30 it's all about contract security rather than $ so he's got this year and 3 more at relative low $ considering last 3 years performance ( which can't possibly be sustained in next period)

Lever also has increase salary cap benefits compared to Betts first contract . He's probably worth 350-400k next year then more each year thereafter for average $480-520k over 4-5 years? Seems about right ?

New salary cap

Unfort for Betts and fortunately for us we signed him at his low as a free agent ( after form and injury interrupted season at Carlton who undervalued him) and then he had 3 career best years back to back

Then at age 30 it's all about contract security rather than $ so he's got this year and 3 more at relative low $ considering last 3 years performance ( which can't possibly be sustained in next period)

Lever also has increase salary cap benefits compared to Betts first contract . He's probably worth 350-400k next year then more each year thereafter for average $480-520k over 4-5 years? Seems about right ?

We didn't sign Betts at a low, we offered far more than he had ever gotten

Yes, we paid what was considered overs at the time, but turned out to be unders as he has improved his performances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See I really agree with this

I'm a fan, I think he looks a really good player in the making. It's just a bit early to be calling him a superstar or paying him like he's already made it

Think we'll find there are Vic clubs willing to make offers on that potential though.

Think we'll find there are Vic clubs willing to make offers on that potential though.

I'm not sure there will be, not until it's clear what type of player he'll become.

Take Phil Davis, looked a star, but has really been a massive disappointment. Never became the player people thought he should have, and he was a clear CHB. I wonder if that's not burnt a few fingers taking big punts on defenders very early on?

With Lever not even certain to be a CHB pretty hard to go all in on a contract wager

Consider Lever played 2016 as a 20 year old, by which time Ben Hart was already into his 3rd season as a 2 time all Australian.

The bar is high if you want to be a start as a 3rd tall. Big money comes when you can show you're either 1. The Ben Hart of 3rd defenders or 2. Going to be a clear cut star at CHB

I'm not there yet

I'm not sure there will be, not until it's clear what type of player he'll become.

Take Phil Davis, looked a star, but has really been a massive disappointment. Never became the player people thought he should have, and he was a clear CHB. I wonder if that's not burnt a few fingers taking big punts on defenders very early on?

With Lever not even certain to be a CHB pretty hard to go all in on a contract wager

Consider Lever played 2016 as a 20 year old, by which time Ben Hart was already into his 3rd season as a 2 time all Australian.

The bar is high if you want to be a start as a 3rd tall. Big money comes when you can show you're either 1. The Ben Hart of 3rd defenders or 2. Going to be a clear cut star at CHB

I'm not there yet

Yeah, i guess I'm looking at him as a key defender, but concede theres every chance he doesnt fill out and settles as a 3rd tall. No doubt that would cap his market value.

Key Forwards obviously much harder to find any more valuable, but do you think the bulldogs gamble on Boyd paying off might whet the appetite for risk taking?

I'm not there yet
But hard to compare the careers of Hart and Lever. Lever missed 2014 with a knee, returned in 2015 to play a fair bit of AFL footy and was much better in 2016. Had he not played so much in 2014 would have most probably won the Rising Star in 16.

I'm anticipating by the end of 17, he will be giving AA a real shake.

No .... the low point of his form irrespective of his previous contract

He came off a injury and form affected season , not terrible but his worst in a few years

If he'd kicked 55+ we'd have had to pay even more

I'm not there yet
Fair enough opinion at this stage

Could be anything , we will see

Lever has done OK so far but nothing worth a large contract

IMP he has done better than ok especially when you consider that he has played less than 50 games and it is a bit of a "Captain Obvious" that Levee will be a very good AFL player

IMO their needs to be bit of a forward view that takes into consideration the clubs player projections and level of confidence and in Lever's case I don't think that he has given us many causes of concern that he won't deliver on his 1st round promise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back