List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there really any doubt that he's more potential than performance.
:rolleyes: ......And hows Sam Durdin going, who many here wanted us to draft in Levers draft year .....ZERO games compared to 36 games by Lever, and a rising star

Most KPP play very little in their fist couple of seasons (Dear, Walker) ......so Lever has exceeded expectations with his performances

The problem if bigfooty was doing the contracts would be we'd be over the salary
cap with bringing Fyfe and Martin in and paying all our current players ( other than Dmac) too much as well

The problem if bigfooty was doing the contracts would be we'd be over the salary
cap with bringing Fyfe and Martin in and paying all our current players ( other than Dmac) too much as well

I think even the best list managers would have trouble fitting Fyfe and Martin into their existing cap whilst retaining existing players. Unless you've cleared huge chunks a couple of years out, you can only have saved $550k from one year and then overspend by that amount the next and then you're back on level terms.

:rolleyes: ......And hows Sam Durdin going, who many here wanted us to draft in Levers draft year .....ZERO games compared to 36 games by Lever, and a rising star

Most KPP play very little in their fist couple of seasons (Dear, Walker) ......so Lever has exceeded expectations with his performances

That's random. What has Sam Durdin got to do with the price of eggs

Id say most KPP forwards play very little, defenders seem to get played far earlier.

From memory we have four potential players in mind at our first pick Lever, Durdin, Laverde or Goddard.

That year I remember Marchbank, Durdin and Goddard being the tall defenders that were tipped to fall to our pick. I think a lot of people had rated Lever as the best defender in that year, and assumed that GWS would take him at 6. Certainly not disappointed that they took Marchbank instead!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there really any doubt that he's more potential than performance.
he's more than held his spot in the side, obviously if its a "big" contract a lot of that will be based on potential, but if we believe we've got the next Corey Enright at the club you do the deal.

if we believe we've got the next Corey Enright at the club you do the deal.

Off topic, but if you check Enrights career he only became enright and a media darling after Geelong started winning flags

I've always wondered if its chicken and the egg on that front. When the team wins then you start looking for reasons why. Players become better because they get preference in this way.

Dustin Fletcher is a great example of this and I wonder why enright, a top player, got not attention or recognition until the 2nd 1/2 of his career when he was part of a winning team

Enright is a super player, but no one really thought so for the first 7 or so years of his career

Off topic, but if you check Enrights career he only became enright and a media darling after Geelong started winning flags

I've always wondered if its chicken and the egg on that front. When the team wins then you start looking for reasons why. Players become better because they get preference in this way.

Dustin Fletcher is a great example of this and I wonder why enright, a top player, got not attention or recognition until the 2nd 1/2 of his career when he was part of a winning team

Enright is a super player, but no one really thought so for the first 7 or so years of his career
How many years has Mackay been playing?

it's an interesting thought, can't say I remember his career vividly enough to make the call on that.

tbh I just picked the first 300 game intercept marking defender I could think of ;)

I agree with the idea. I just think that we are more focused on Adelaide players and they are highlighted to us earlier. Well I do anyway, I watch other sides and may notice a player once or twice , their overall output isn't recognized until a few years after they build more consistent output.

Is there any doubt about his potential?

How much are you prepared to pay for potential?

If he's a CHB his contract is probably 25-30% higher than 3rd tall. But who knows at this stage

And as far as performance to date goes, he was what 20th in votes per game in the B&F? He's being invested in by the match committee right now, which is great but you're nuts if you think he's bossing it onfield yet

He's not performing yet like a guy who deserves a big fat contract, and given the position queries he's not in line for a shortage position bonus either

Still a lot to prove. If he keeps developing the way we hope he might be in line for a fat contract after the next one

"Lever is establishing himself as one of the best young defenders in the AFL. He reads the play well, winning seven intercept possessions per game last season - the equal ninth-most of anyone in the AFL. Lever is impressive all around the ground, rating above average for AFL Player Rating points, disposals, meters gained and rebound 50s, while ranking inside the top-five key defenders for score involvements and score launches per game. After 35 games, he is well ahead of where Alex Rance was at this stage of his career."

Lever Talia

Disposals 15.8 15.6
Kicks 10.3 8.7
Handballs 5.4 6.9
Kick:Handball Ratio 1.91 1.25
Meters Gained 246 204
Retention Rate % 74.6 78.6
Rebound 50s 2.8 2.8
Contested Possessions 5.6 5.5
Uncontested Possessions 10.1 10.0
Contested Possession Rate % 35.6 35.6
Ground Ball Gets 4.1 3.7
Marks 5.2 6.0
Intercept Marks 2.5 2.3
Intercept Possessions 7.3 7.4
Score Launches 1.8 1.7
Score Involvements 3.6 3.5
Spoils 4.6 8.3
Spoil Percentage 69.4 64.0
1 on 1 Loss Percentage 25.4 23.2
Turnovers 1.0 1.9

More potential than performance? If you aren't gonna give him a huge contract offer, someone will. He's 4 years younger than Talia and already comparable to him in every measurable metric except for one on one loss percentage, marks and spoils - and that will come in time. Will be way better than Talia at the end of his career. Would have him in my side any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

"Lever is establishing himself as one of the best young defenders in the AFL. He reads the play well, winning seven intercept possessions per game last season - the equal ninth-most of anyone in the AFL. Lever is impressive all around the ground, rating above average for AFL Player Rating points, disposals, meters gained and rebound 50s, while ranking inside the top-five key defenders for score involvements and score launches per game. After 35 games, he is well ahead of where Alex Rance was at this stage of his career."

Lever Talia

Disposals 15.8 15.6
Kicks 10.3 8.7
Handballs 5.4 6.9
Kick:Handball Ratio 1.91 1.25
Meters Gained 246 204
Retention Rate % 74.6 78.6
Rebound 50s 2.8 2.8
Contested Possessions 5.6 5.5
Uncontested Possessions 10.1 10.0
Contested Possession Rate % 35.6 35.6
Ground Ball Gets 4.1 3.7
Marks 5.2 6.0
Intercept Marks 2.5 2.3
Intercept Possessions 7.3 7.4
Score Launches 1.8 1.7
Score Involvements 3.6 3.5
Spoils 4.6 8.3
Spoil Percentage 69.4 64.0
1 on 1 Loss Percentage 25.4 23.2
Turnovers 1.0 1.9

More potential than performance? If you aren't gonna give him a huge contract offer, someone will. He's 4 years younger than Talia and already comparable to him in every measurable metric except for one on one loss percentage, marks and spoils - and that will come in time. Will be way better than Talia at the end of his career. Would have him in my side any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

This up there with your deeply insightful analysis of Westhoff

It's like you've forgotten players have actual positions

This up there with your deeply insightful analysis of Westhoff

It's like you've forgotten players have actual positions

I don't think they do really any more. As soon as defenders started being asked to do more then just defend but actually launch attacks the idea of fixed positions became redundant because a defender could find himself up the ground at any moment.

If Lever's agent is holding out for at least 400k+ he's being negligent in his duties as a manager. I really rate Lever and I reckon he'll be the Elisha to Talia's Elijah in your defence. He's worth every penny you pay him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back