List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine the non-movement is coming from Lever's end.
He's the type of player we should be offering a long term deal to that secures his future financially.

Did people actually listen to his interview?
He didn't originally volunteer this statement, it was only when rowey said to him something similar to "that doesn't sound very promising about staying."

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? will be absolutely beside himself thinking of the talent we can acquire at the draft with the picks we get for Lever and McGovern, plus the extra 3rd rounder that we get for CEY when he's proved himself a decent midfielder and finished 12th in our b&f.

He's going to get that regardless of when we offer the contract. He doesn't have anything to gain by signing now, he and his manager would know they've got more leverage the longer it's left.
We can offer him a long term deal with a set percentage of the cap.

Just need to get it done.

No stuffing around Reid!

He'd be at the top of my priority list with Gov at #2. Betts just got done and I wouldn't be too worried about guys like Cheney, Wigg, CEY, Knight, Otten and Kelly yet.
Lever, McGovern & Knights are the priorities.

I imagine it's not a picnic planning all this out considering we have Walker, Sloane, Laird, Cameron, Lynch, Matt Crouch, Smith and Atkins to re-sign next year, along with trying to get Lever, Gov, Knight, Hartigan, O'Brien, Milera, Wigg, CEY and Doedee done this year. Over that time we've only got Thompson, Mackay and Douglas who may be able to provide a bit of relief (not sure how much guys like Otten, Shaw, Cheney are making) everyone else would be looking for raises probably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not at all worried about Knight leaving, which is why I wouldn't list him as an immediate priority along with Lever and Gov.
Agree, but I was obviously prioritising the key players we need to keep on our list.

They would laugh at that. Disgraceful
You have shown yourself to be close to the family. I agree 3 @ $400,000 is low scale. I also agree Jake wants to stay in Adelaide and play in good sides.

The challenge for all parties involved is to find the common ground. Or a compromise at least.

MRB37 said:
I imagine it's not a picnic planning all this out considering we have Walker, Sloane, Laird, Cameron, Lynch, Matt Crouch, Smith and Atkins to re-sign next year, along with trying to get Lever, Gov, Knight, Hartigan, O'Brien, Milera, Wigg, CEY and Doedee done this year. Over that time we've only got Thompson, Mackay and Douglas who may be able to provide a bit of relief (not sure how much guys like Otten, Shaw, Cheney are making) everyone else would be looking for raises probably.

When you see this , where is Jake positioned now. Of the ones to sign this year Jake and Mitch McG are 1 and 2. Add next years and they slip down to 5 and 6. Now you might ask who number 3 is and I will say Matt Crouch. Why? Because we need a midfield. Sloane and Matt Crouch produce numbers this year and they will ask for more coin.

Jake excites me and I hope he stays as long as he wants to. But Daniel Talia is our number 1 defender. Jake as good a player and as quality an individual he is , is more replaceable than DT. Hartigan is coming along well and can slot into number 2 defender. ( did I just type that? ) Yes there will be a drop in output but it means the backline works harder.

Our midfield needs work and some noses will be put out joint , but the team needs should outweigh the individual needs at some stage.

Jake is nearly 21 and DT is 25. Jakes coin is his next contract. Big coin. Whichever way he goes he is in the box seat. Take 5 years at $525,000 and walk into FA. Or 3 years at $475/500,000 and then sign the long term contract for possibly , most likely, much more coin.

As a supporter of the AFC and of Jake Lever and his ability and talent I think something similar to the rumoured JJ contract is something I would support.

Of the above contract negotiations I have ranked the following in priority for me.
Sloane
Walker
Crouch
Lever
McGovern

Every club has player lists like that, many clubs with more talent than us to worry about.

Got to keep your best players and attract difference-making recruits. If the odd Lyons needs to get cast aside or lowballed then so be it.

I can only assume by the figures we have been told but the following contracts and lengths of
JJ
Talia
Crouch
Betts
Smith
Lynch
Jacobs
(All assumes to be 3-6 years at $400-750)
As well as the projected contracts of
Sloane
Tex
(Should be at least 800k)
As well as projected contracts for players who will increase significantly on next deal
Laird (may have resigned but I would imagine his value will skyrocket)
McGovern
M crouch
Lever
Cameron
Atkins
Add to that the solid contracts of around $400 k to
Dougy
Dmack

With enough money for the foot soldiers
Brown
Hartigan
CEY
Cheney
Otten

What my point is I don't believe we have as much cap space as we think. While we have 500k put aside for lever, we probably didn't bank on McGovern next contract probably tripling or JJ kicking 65 goals and wanting a buddy type deal I think our offer for a 21 year old with 30 games will be 4 x 400

Every club has player lists like that, many clubs with more talent than us to worry about.

Got to keep your best players and attract difference-making recruits. If the odd Lyons needs to get cast aside or lowballed then so be it.
I know that, but people say things like "Just give him X amount and get it done", which sounds good in theory, but there's so many parts to each contract that have an impact on the team as a whole that it's not as easy as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back