Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SA Labor in disarray by the sounds....probably not a surprise given the "public" face of it's tribulations with the electricity crisis......but the "behind the scenes" in-fighting has to be a major concern..

http://indaily.com.au/news/politics...wake-up-labor-at-war-over-undemocratic-deals/
UPDATED: SA Labor’s factions have splintered in a messy preselection brawl, with union threats to break away from the ALP and two prominent union bosses today nominating for the Upper House amid a protest at a factional stitch-up that has many party insiders seething.

The explosion of internal tensions in recent weeks, combined with a host of sitting MPs shifting ground to escape the brunt of a looming boundary redistribution, could be viewed as a lapse of the party discipline that has long helped sustain Labor in government. But Newlyn insists: “I honestly think Labor can still win [the March 2018 election].”

Interesting that the CFMEU only has 11% membership.

That was quite a balanced article, all things being considered.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...k=3c58b9edcc94ea040bedc6d9059455cb-1487251875

Yet the problem for the budget, economy, government and populace can be reduced to a simple truth. We have a government predisposed to curbing spending and reducing taxes but a Senate intent on increasing spending and taxes. The government is being thwarted in the delivery of its most important task, its fiscal strategy. This has been the case, to varying degrees, since the election of the Coalition in 2013 but it is reaching a crisis point. The looming flashpoint is the budget, where fiscal imperatives will crash into the immovable forces of populism and opportunism. Global markets will not entertain such indulgences; rather, they will respond to the nation’s ballooning debt, deepening deficits, thwarted fiscal strategies and pessimist political outlook by downgrading Australia’s credit rating, adding further to budget costs and dampening confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So..ummmm after that completely off the rails event this afternoon I still think that South Australia is about the safest place that will be left on the planet (not that there will be any safe spot).

In words I never dreamed I would ever be using in my entire life....anyone up for sponsoring a dad and his son as refugees from what used to be the United States of America?? :)

On Thursday, Donald Trump's press conference to announce Alexander Acosta as his new nominee for Secretary of Labor turned into an extended psychodrama, the likes of which we haven’t seen Richard Nixon during the death throes of Watergate.
It’s frowned upon for members of the psychiatric profession to deliver armchair analysis of public figures, but Trump is not making that temptation easy to avoid. During his rantings and ravings, you expected white-uniformed figures to burst in with a straitjacket and rubber net.
https://t.co/JUhH83L9Oe
https://t.co/JUhH83L9Oe
https://t.co/9sZpie1lve
https://t.co/JfUdK6uxob
https://t.co/FZHKvnD1zL
https://t.co/bBA7a3KH4k

MOD NOTICE: Do not post full articles. The headline, the first or pertinent paragraph, and a link please.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Thursday, Donald Trump's press conference to announce Alexander Acosta as his new nominee for Secretary of Labor turned into an extended psychodrama, the likes of which we haven’t seen Richard Nixon during the death throes of Watergate.
It’s frowned upon for members of the psychiatric profession to deliver armchair analysis of public figures, but Trump is not making that temptation easy to avoid. During his rantings and ravings, you expected white-uniformed figures to burst in with a straitjacket and rubber net.
After spending the briefest amount of time extolling the virtues of his new nominee — we learned that he was a “great student” —Trump quickly pivoted to — what else? — himself. He proceeded to deliver lengthy infomercial about his administration’s accomplishments, citing the “incredible progress” in the last four weeks and--having apparently become a believer in the accuracy of polling--citing a Rasmussen poll citing that he had a 55 percent approval rating. He failed to mention Pew’s 39 percent rating and Gallup’s 41 percent, but then again, those are probably fake polls.
“This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine!” he boasted, indicating that he really needs to find a better mechanic. “To be honest, I inherited a mess. A mess!” he claimed, although his definition of the word clearly differs from, let’s say, reality. “We have begun the monumental task of turning the government over to the people,” he declared, which is true if you only mean people worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
President Trump says "nobody I know of" talked to Russia during the campaign https://t.co/JUhH83L9Oe https://t.co/9sZpie1lve
— CNN (@CNN) February 16, 2017
Naturally, his main topic of discussion was the “fake media.” “The press has become so dishonest that if we don’t talk about it we’re doing a tremendous disservice to the American people,” he said to the very media he was denouncing. “The level of dishonesty is out of control,” he told the reporters, who were no doubt wondering if they’d entered the Twilight Zone.
His arguments might have carried a bit more weight if they hadn’t been accompanied by a slew of lies, such as when he boasted about his Electoral College win. “We got 306!” he crowed. “It was the biggest Electoral College win since Ronald Reagan”….except, as several reporters pointed out minutes later, it wasn’t.
In response, Trump resorted to his usual excuse: “I was given that information. I’ve seen that information around,” he said, inevitably passing the buck. “It was a very substantial victory, do you agree with that?” he asked the reporter, who could only acknowledge, “You’re the president.”
Among the accomplishments he touted was his “game-changing rule” that says for every new regulation, two old regulations have to be eliminated. But while that sounds like a good strategy for cleaning out your closet, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence when it comes to the federal government.
“We’ve become a drug-infested nation!” he warned. “Drugs are becoming cheaper than candy bars.” (Whoever his dealer is, he must be very popular.)
“There has never been a presidency that’s done so much in such a short period of time,” he went on. “And we haven’t even done the big work yet. That starts next week.” So it’s not as if he hasn’t given us fair warning to shut off the news alerts on our phones if we intend to get any sleep.
"Not good," Trump says of Russian spy ship 30 miles off coast, NK missile test and Russian jets buzzing US ship https://t.co/JfUdK6uxob
And then things got really strange. He began to take questions. Even the reporters seemed surprised. The first one was naturally about the recent resignation of Michael Flynn, which, according to Trump, was only the result of a hatchet job by the press.
“What he did wasn’t wrong,” Trump claimed. “What was wrong was the way that other people, including yourselves, were given that information. Fake news. It’s all fake news. It’s an illegal process, and the press should be ashamed of themselves.”
“He was just doing his job,” Trump said about Flynn, even though at the time Flynn was in contact with Russia, he hadn’t started his job yet.
The problem, apparently, is not that Flynn was engaged in illegal contacts with Russia. The problem is that we know about it. He railed about the “Illegal” leaks that have made his administration the political equivalent of The Poseidon Adventure, and vowed that heads, including those of the press will roll.
Displaying a knowledge of cable news shows’ rating that would put the reporters of trade publications to shame, Trump carried on, in the immortal words of Bill Maher, like a “whiny little bitch.”
“I watch CNN…it’s so much anger and hatred. I don’t watch it anymore,” he complained. “The tone is such hatred. I’m really not a bad person, by the way. I don’t mind bad stories, I can handle bad stories better than anybody,” he boasted. Because, you know, he has the best temperament.
He did have nice words to say words to say about at least one media outlet. “Fox & Friends in the morning, they’re very honorable people,” he told the room. “They have the most honest morning show.” So now we know how the leader of the free world spends his mornings.
When asked whether he thought that his constant criticism of the press was undermining the First Amendment, Trump seemed unconcerned. “I know when I should get good [press], and when I should get bad [press]. I’d be a pretty good reporter,” he blithely announced. He seemed surprised that the reporters in attendance didn’t simply agree at that point and pack up and go home.
“The public doesn’t believe you anymore,” he told the roomful of journalists. “Maybe I had something to do with that, I don’t know.” (Donald, I think we can all agree that you definitely had something to do with that.) “Story after story after story is bad. I won!” he exclaimed, as if good coverage was one of the perks of the job.
President Trump: "The leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake." https://t.co/FZHKvnD1zL https://t.co/bBA7a3KH4k
Taunting questioners with dignified observations such as “Here’s another beauty” (addressed to a journalist from that disreputable organization known as the BBC), Trump was belligerent and bellicose, oozing contempt for the members of the Fourth Estate whenever they posed a question he didn’t like. He also bizarrely mentioned Hillary Clinton so often that it sounded like he thinks he’s still running against her.
When a reporter asked what the administration plans to do about the alarming rise in incidents of anti-Semitism, Trump took the opportunity to yet again make it all about himself.
“I am the least anti-Semitic person you have seen in your entire life,” he announced, apparently assuming that the only people with whom reporters spend time are neo-Nazis. He then went on to make the astounding claim that the offensive signs and drawings that have been so prominently on display throughout the country were created by liberals to discredit him. “Some of the signs are written by the other side,” he said. “It won’t be my people. It will be people from the other side.” (Think about that for a second, folks. Seriously, think about that for a second.)
When an African-American reporter asked if he planned on meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus, Trump, displaying his well-honed racial sensitivity, asked her, “Do you want to set up a meeting? Are they friends of yours?”
“I didn’t come along and divide this country,” Trump finally told the reporters, who were beginning to resemble traumatized POWs. “This country was divided long before I got here. We live in a divided nation. I will do everything in my power to fix that.” And as we’ve all seen over the last four weeks, he’s off to a great start.
I need to see this video

After spending the briefest amount of time extolling the virtues of his new nominee — we learned that he was a “great student” —Trump quickly pivoted to — what else? — himself. He proceeded to deliver lengthy infomercial about his administration’s accomplishments, citing the “incredible progress” in the last four weeks and--having apparently become a believer in the accuracy of polling--citing a Rasmussen poll citing that he had a 55 percent approval rating. He failed to mention Pew’s 39 percent rating and Gallup’s 41 percent, but then again, those are probably fake polls.
“This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine!” he boasted, indicating that he really needs to find a better mechanic. “To be honest, I inherited a mess. A mess!” he claimed, although his definition of the word clearly differs from, let’s say, reality. “We have begun the monumental task of turning the government over to the people,” he declared, which is true if you only mean people worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
President Trump says "nobody I know of" talked to Russia during the campaign https://t.co/JUhH83L9Oe https://t.co/9sZpie1lve
Naturally, his main topic of discussion was the “fake media.” “The press has become so dishonest that if we don’t talk about it we’re doing a tremendous disservice to the American people,” he said to the very media he was denouncing. “The level of dishonesty is out of control,” he told the reporters, who were no doubt wondering if they’d entered the Twilight Zone.
His arguments might have carried a bit more weight if they hadn’t been accompanied by a slew of lies, such as when he boasted about his Electoral College win. “We got 306!” he crowed. “It was the biggest Electoral College win since Ronald Reagan”….except, as several reporters pointed out minutes later, it wasn’t.
In response, Trump resorted to his usual excuse: “I was given that information. I’ve seen that information around,” he said, inevitably passing the buck. “It was a very substantial victory, do you agree with that?” he asked the reporter, who could only acknowledge, “You’re the president.”
Among the accomplishments he touted was his “game-changing rule” that says for every new regulation, two old regulations have to be eliminated. But while that sounds like a good strategy for cleaning out your closet, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence when it comes to the federal government.
“We’ve become a drug-infested nation!” he warned. “Drugs are becoming cheaper than candy bars.” (Whoever his dealer is, he must be very popular.)
“There has never been a presidency that’s done so much in such a short period of time,” he went on. “And we haven’t even done the big work yet. That starts next week.” So it’s not as if he hasn’t given us fair warning to shut off the news alerts on our phones if we intend to get any sleep.
"Not good," Trump says of Russian spy ship 30 miles off coast, NK missile test and Russian jets buzzing US ship https://t.co/JfUdK6uxob
And then things got really strange. He began to take questions. Even the reporters seemed surprised. The first one was naturally about the recent resignation of Michael Flynn, which, according to Trump, was only the result of a hatchet job by the press.
“What he did wasn’t wrong,” Trump claimed. “What was wrong was the way that other people, including yourselves, were given that information. Fake news. It’s all fake news. It’s an illegal process, and the press should be ashamed of themselves.”
“He was just doing his job,” Trump said about Flynn, even though at the time Flynn was in contact with Russia, he hadn’t started his job yet.
The problem, apparently, is not that Flynn was engaged in illegal contacts with Russia. The problem is that we know about it. He railed about the “Illegal” leaks that have made his administration the political equivalent of The Poseidon Adventure, and vowed that heads, including those of the press will roll.
Displaying a knowledge of cable news shows’ rating that would put the reporters of trade publications to shame, Trump carried on, in the immortal words of Bill Maher, like a “whiny little bitch.”
“I watch CNN…it’s so much anger and hatred. I don’t watch it anymore,” he complained. “The tone is such hatred. I’m really not a bad person, by the way. I don’t mind bad stories, I can handle bad stories better than anybody,” he boasted. Because, you know, he has the best temperament.
He did have nice words to say words to say about at least one media outlet. “Fox & Friends in the morning, they’re very honorable people,” he told the room. “They have the most honest morning show.” So now we know how the leader of the free world spends his mornings.
When asked whether he thought that his constant criticism of the press was undermining the First Amendment, Trump seemed unconcerned. “I know when I should get good [press], and when I should get bad [press]. I’d be a pretty good reporter,” he blithely announced. He seemed surprised that the reporters in attendance didn’t simply agree at that point and pack up and go home.
“The public doesn’t believe you anymore,” he told the roomful of journalists. “Maybe I had something to do with that, I don’t know.” (Donald, I think we can all agree that you definitely had something to do with that.) “Story after story after story is bad. I won!” he exclaimed, as if good coverage was one of the perks of the job.
President Trump: "The leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake." https://t.co/FZHKvnD1zL https://t.co/bBA7a3KH4k
Taunting questioners with dignified observations such as “Here’s another beauty” (addressed to a journalist from that disreputable organization known as the BBC), Trump was belligerent and bellicose, oozing contempt for the members of the Fourth Estate whenever they posed a question he didn’t like. He also bizarrely mentioned Hillary Clinton so often that it sounded like he thinks he’s still running against her.
When a reporter asked what the administration plans to do about the alarming rise in incidents of anti-Semitism, Trump took the opportunity to yet again make it all about himself.
“I am the least anti-Semitic person you have seen in your entire life,” he announced, apparently assuming that the only people with whom reporters spend time are neo-Nazis. He then went on to make the astounding claim that the offensive signs and drawings that have been so prominently on display throughout the country were created by liberals to discredit him. “Some of the signs are written by the other side,” he said. “It won’t be my people. It will be people from the other side.” (Think about that for a second, folks. Seriously, think about that for a second.)
When an African-American reporter asked if he planned on meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus, Trump, displaying his well-honed racial sensitivity, asked her, “Do you want to set up a meeting? Are they friends of yours?”
“I didn’t come along and divide this country,” Trump finally told the reporters, who were beginning to resemble traumatized POWs. “This country was divided long before I got here. We live in a divided nation. I will do everything in my power to fix that.” And as we’ve all seen over the last four weeks, he’s off to a great start.
He truly is a nut job. Can he last? Does he have to do something illegal before they can remove him?

So the one paragraph from a link rule only applies to certain posters I guess?..... deaneus

Instead of passively-aggressively sniping about it, feel free to actually report the post so i can see it and do something about it.

Or perhaps you're another poster who believes part of a mod's job is to read every post that gets written on this board?

Posted without comment.

c2be46b21e9d6c0d181ddd8f29e76846.jpg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Thanks to productivity and demographics, the U.K. economy is set to overcome Brexit difficulties to be the fastest-growing major economy in Europe over the next 10 years.Growth rates in output per hour seen before the financial crisis should return and the working-age population is likely to hold up better than in most other countries, according to analysis by Bloomberg Intelligence economist Jamie Murray. After a dip to 1.3 percent in 2018, the U.K.’s expansion should return to 2 percent and higher, making it a stronger performing economy than Germany, France, Italy or Spain by 2027.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back