2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted on this before to say that I think it would've been one of the club's most difficult decisions and had any one of his contract/injury status or age been different we may have seen another outcome.
At the minute Connor has taken Micky's old spot and is about 21 so the long term upside is far greater.
Mick has moved on and our supporters should do themselves the club and Mick the favour of following suit.
He's in a much better position in terms of where he sits on the list he's on.

Last edited:
A picture of concentration.

For all his knockabout persona, Plugger was the ultimate professional when lining up a goal.

If I had to have someone kicking for goal to save my life, I'd choose Plugger.
(Former Perth player Murray Couper if it had to be a 50m snap over the shoulder on the wrong foot.
Another former Perth player, John Quartermaine, if it had to be a 70m drop kick to a moving target).

Plugger for me as well. Murray Couper was a gem - defined the old chestnut "knows where the goals are". I think he played with the last really good team Perth had, which is pretty bad considering I was a teenager then and now I'm really old!

That question appears to imply that we would have better on field results with Dawson replaced by Crozier or similar more able kick but I don't think any of them are tall but you obviously don't mean it so simply.
What im saying is that dawson isnt the future. Lyon has been ruthless with everyone else considered in that boat. This simply must be his last year at the club, considering his contract will be up. Under the old game style he was serviceable, he is now a liability.

Plugger for me as well. Murray Couper was a gem - defined the old chestnut "knows where the goals are". I think he played with the last really good team Perth had, which is pretty bad considering I was a teenager then and now I'm really old!
Couper had the misfortune of having a bomb detonate near him whilst he was serving in Vietnam. It left him with an unfortunate looking face. Boy could he kick.

I remember a game at Perth Oval one day where the Demons had the game wrapped up mid way through the second quarter (which they did often in those days). Couper took a mark, went back and drilled a goal from about 60m on the LHF flank, on his natural right foot. The ball sailed over the goal umpire's hat about half goal post height. A group of East Perth supporters yelled abuse and made some contentious comments about Couper's nose and breeding in general.

A couple of minutes later Couper took another mark in roughly the same spot although much nearer the boundary. Couper's hecklers let him have it whilst he was lining up the kick. He stopped, reset himself for the shot and booted it over the goal umpire's hat, top of the goal post height...with his left foot.

To be fair, the Royals supporters were generous in their applause, then went back to abusing him for the rest of the afternoon.

Couper had the misfortune of having a bomb detonate near him whilst he was serving in Vietnam. It left him with an unfortunate looking face. Boy could he kick.

I remember a game at Perth Oval one day where the Demons had the game wrapped up mid way through the second quarter (which they did often in those days). Couper took a mark, went back and drilled a goal from about 60m on the LHF flank, on his natural right foot. The ball sailed over the goal umpire's hat about half goal post height. A group of East Perth supporters yelled abuse and made some contentious comments about Couper's nose and breeding in general.

A couple of minutes later Couper took another mark in roughly the same spot although much nearer the boundary. Couper's hecklers let him have it whilst he was lining up the kick. He stopped, reset himself for the shot and booted it over the goal umpire's hat, top of the goal post height...with his left foot.

To be fair, the Royals supporters were generous in their applause, then went back to abusing him for the rest of the afternoon.

Yep, goal kicking like that would be regarded as freakish today, yet while Couper was exceptional there were plenty of forwards who could really kick, Warren Ralph and Simon Beasley spring immediately to mind. The one area of the game that has gone nowhere in more than 30 years.

I used to like him precisely for that reason. Opposition supporters would give it to him but he'd never let it get to him onfield - although I think there's an anecdotal story about him catching up with an opposition supporter after a game in a footy ground car park or vice versa. Was he a copper?

Near the end of his career Couper played a season at East Perth - so that must have been pretty hard to stomach for those supporters - although nowhere near as cruel as Archie Duda playing for the Demons.

Jacko claims that he taught Plugger how to set up his kicking at goal routine.

Wouldn't surprise me. Jacko's goal kicking stats are pretty amazing.

Melbourne: 41 games for 152 goals
St Kilda: 10 games for 41 goals.
Geelong: 31 games for 115 goals.

An uncle of mine who watched him play says that Jacko was one of the most naturally gifted footballers he saw. Such a shame such gifts were bestowed on a complete lunatic. Could have been one of the best forwards of our game if he had the right mentality.

Wouldn't surprise me. Jacko's goal kicking stats are pretty amazing.

Melbourne: 41 games for 152 goals
St Kilda: 10 games for 41 goals.
Geelong: 31 games for 115 goals.

An uncle of mine who watched him play says that Jacko was one of the most naturally gifted footballers he saw. Such a shame such gifts were bestowed on a complete lunatic. Could have been one of the best forwards of our game if he had the right mentality.

Jacko wasn't particularly gifted. He was good in a one-on-one contest (very strong) and yes, certainly could kick. But he was quite immobile - in the modern game would be rebounded on relentlessly - and, as noted, wasn't mentally strong. The elite WAFL and VFL defenders worked him out pretty quickly. South's sacking him led directly to three GF appearances.

So back to the Plugger discussion, anyone know how he lost the weight? He looks so different it's almost UNhealthy.

I used to like him precisely for that reason. Opposition supporters would give it to him but he'd never let it get to him onfield - although I think there's an anecdotal story about him catching up with an opposition supporter after a game in a footy ground car park or vice versa. Was he a copper?

Near the end of his career Couper played a season at East Perth - so that must have been pretty hard to stomach for those supporters - although nowhere near as cruel as Archie Duda playing for the Demons.

Yes Couper was a cop.

He missed the 1978 WANFL GF through suspension. He was rubbed out for throwing the ball into the umpire's face when he disagreed with a decision during the second semi.

If you're a Perth supporter you'll know THAT GF.

The Demons were without both Couper and fullback John Quartermaine. Captain Ken Inman won the toss and kicked into a strong breeze. The weather was fine during the first quarter, then it rained for most of the second (with the wind dropping to nil). The third quarter was dry and then it absolutely poured throughout the fourth quarter. Perth rallied late but missed by two points on a ground which resembled a lake by game's end.

Former Perth Sandover Medallist, Ian Miller, won the Simpson Medal for East Perth, Perth legend Barry Cable coached East Perth and Perth haven't made a GF since.

Jacko wasn't particularly gifted. He was good in a one-on-one contest (very strong) and yes, certainly could kick. But he was quite immobile - in the modern game would be rebounded on relentlessly - and, as noted, wasn't mentally strong. The elite WAFL and VFL defenders worked him out pretty quickly. South's sacking him led directly to three GF appearances.
He also made a huge mistake when he took on Maurice Rioli in the boxing ring during his time at South Freo...

MAURICE RIOLI RECALLS THE DAY I PUNCHED OUT JACKO
From The West Australian 2008.
When Mark “Jacko” Jackson came to South Fremantle, he was a young, green kid who thought he could take on the world. Like all Victorians, he thought he was better than everybody else.

One day Jacko was in the ring throwing some punches for boxing training with Laurie Flanders. He started mouthing off and calling me a pretty boy who got all the favours from coach Mal Brown and that I wouldn’t even last a round with him.

But he didn’t know I started boxing in my mid-teens, won State lightweight and welterweight titles in WA and the Northern Territory and got to silver gloves level.

There he was, carrying on being the Jacko Jackson that he is, so Browny told me to get in there and show him how it’s done.

I got the gloves on and got in the ring but his problem was that from there on he kept leading with his big nose, so I kept punching it.

He was bleeding after the first round and Browny was yelling at him: “You’re doing great and getting on top. Finish him off this round.” It wound him up even more and he got out of the ring and stormed off.

Rest of the article...

I think he put a bit more effort into his boxing after that and had a bit more respect. He didn’t mouth off quite so much after that and we ended up being close friends.

When I was coaching in the NT, he even came up and played for me. I haven’t seen him since about the early 1990s but even then he didn’t try to throw one at me.

There was another funny memory about big Mal in 1978 when he flew up to the Melville Islands to try to get me back to South Fremantle.

The weather was pretty rough and when I got to the airport, there wasn’t much left of the seat in front of him; he’d clawed the cloth off.

I have fond memories of playing at South and watch the Dockers. They have shown they can be competitive, but they haven’t yet taken the big step to be a real threat.

They played well against West Coast, but just playing well against them means nothing; they have to play well in Melbourne, too, and find the type of players to be able to win more big games.

I almost went to West Coast when they first started, but I was coming to the end of my career and it just never happened.

I almost went to Sydney in 1986, too, but coach Tommy Hafey had all his players there from Geelong.

It’s now been more than 20 years since I played, but the game is still special to me when I watch my nephew Cyril play for Hawthorn.

I’ve seen all his games, he’s going really well with his composure, the time he’s got to manufacture things and he’s only going to get better.

It was also something to watch my cousin Austin Wonaeamirri play his first game for Melbourne last week and my brother Sibby’s son Shannon has started at Scotch College in Melbourne and will be one to watch.

There would be plenty more from the Northern Territory, too, but unfortunately there’s no development programs outside of Darwin and Alice Springs.

It’s disappointing because we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg.

• Footnote: Maurice Rioli won the 1982 Norm Smith Medal and was second in the Brownlow Medal the next year. He was twice Richmond best-and-fairest in 118 games.

Very poignant. Nearly ended up at West Coast? :'(

Mo's heart failed him on Christmas Day, 2010.
He was a legend on and off the field and adored by all true football supporters.
Mr Magic was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame in 2016.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Couper was a cop.

He missed the 1978 WANFL GF through suspension. He was rubbed out for throwing the ball into the umpire's face when he disagreed with a decision during the second semi.

If you're a Perth supporter you'll know THAT GF.

The Demons were without both Couper and fullback John Quartermaine. Captain Ken Inman won the toss and kicked into a strong breeze. The weather was fine during the first quarter, then it rained for most of the second (with the wind dropping to nil). The third quarter was dry and then it absolutely poured throughout the fourth quarter. Perth rallied late but missed by two points on a ground which resembled a lake by game's end.

Former Perth Sandover Medallist, Ian Miller, won the Simpson Medal for East Perth, Perth legend Barry Cable coached East Perth and Perth haven't made a GF since.

Saw the game. Yes that Perth side was the unluckiest GF side I can remember (as a Swannies man i was neutral). I recall Bosustow almost getting them over the line though!

Saw the game. Yes that Perth side was the unluckiest GF side I can remember (as a Swannies man i was neutral). I recall Bosustow almost getting them over the line though!
Yep, booted seven.

I was there too. Didn't see much of the last quarter. Standing on the hill, everyone had their umbrellas up (yes you were allowed to have umbrellas in those days). Didn't have one myself. Got soaked from the rain AND the run off from everyone else's.

I should have clarified better-naturally gifted in his goal kicking. He was telling me about some of the best kicks for goal he'd seen and he mentioned Jacko as one of the most gifted. Said he should have gone on to kick a lot more and have a much more successful career if he had the right mentality and actually focused on football rather then trying to fight everyone on the field.

EP's Brad Smith (who coached EF to the Derby Grand Final the following season) was paid a sliding chest mark as he splashed into a puddle as Perth mounted a final attack - except the ball hit the puddle in front of him and floated and he scooped it up. (If you ever see the ABC vision of the game, rather than the Channel 7 version, you can see it landed in front of him).

EP's Brad Smith (who coached EF to the Derby Grand Final the following season) was paid a sliding chest mark as he splashed into a puddle as Perth mounted a final attack - except the ball hit the puddle in front of him and floated and he scooped it up. (If you ever see the ABC vision of the game, rather than the Channel 7 version, you can see it landed in front of him).
Late in the game, unfortunately they didn't include the last 2 minutes.
Bosustow's goal was a precursor to his Carlton 'goal of the century?'.

Yep. I suggest we approach the club and ask if Ross can be replaced by a panel of experts from Big Footy, because it seems there are many on here with a much greater understanding of the game than Ross.

Panel of experts: Carnthedockers, Silent Alarm, Banker, Alikat, DudleyDocker, Salim and Meima

President: Me

Panel of experts: Carnthedockers, Silent Alarm, Banker, Alikat, DudleyDocker, Salim and Meima

Hahhaahahahah president: Me( trump Aussie version ) your skin is thicker than crocodile skin. Last year balic , this year logue , so who is next.

Last edited:

I may be mistaken but I think Dudley was suggesting experts in football, not experts in disagreeing with each other?

It would only take considering the selection of Danyle Pearce or not for this "committee" to implode, causing a vortex to another dimension. Perhaps one where Fremantle had made better first round selections! Or perhaps even worse ones!

I may be mistaken but I think Dudley was suggesting experts in football, not experts in disagreeing with each other?

It would only take considering the selection of Danyle Pearce or not for this "committee" to implode, causing a vortex to another dimension. Perhaps one where Fremantle had made better first round selections! Or perhaps even worse ones!
I'm an expert in good looking footballers ok. It's about diversity in your expertises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back