Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate this reveiw, it kills everything that footy is great for, goals like these, but only to be overturned by a Swans player remonstrating that he touched it. If the umpire calls a review before deeming at goal, it would be better, but even then how can one be absolutey sure that he touched it with the camera that was used? The ball came of his boot in such a way that the ball traveled with a crazy spin.

Killed the moment!
Every goal is reviewed.

And it was absolutely touched fingers don't bend like that.
upload_2017-3-26_13-26-4.png

I can only guess his low possession numbers prevented him from being ballistic in this draft.

They overlooked two things:

- Doesn't need a lot of possessions
- Able to get more possessions when surrounded by higher quality teammates

And most salient, now that I think about it:

- Non-possession presence/influence

It was an awesome kick for goal, but yeah, it was definitely touched.

Goal will certainly be counted in rising star considerations, even if it wasn't on the scoreboard.

Maybe the recruiters overlooked SPP because they thought he had an unfair size advantage playing under age footy. They should have realised he has an unfair size advantage playing AFL footy.
It's an interesting point. I've seen a few other supporters saying that he was a late pick because a) he didn't rack up massive possessions and b) was going to reach his ceiling earlier due to his size. And maybe this will be true.

But by the same token, surely being AFL ready now has the added advantage of further accelerating his development because he is playing with and learning from top level opposition more often than other draftees who may spend 1 or 2 years playing mostly in the 2nds. Time will tell I guess.

I had a chat to SPP at the club 1870 event on Tuesday night. I didn't write anything because I didn't want to jinks him before his first game.

Said g'day and had a bit of small talk and then I mentioned how impressed I was that he had 2 Rolls Royces in his twitter account profile picture. Said I don't reckon there would be many 18 year olds with photos of Rolls Royces on their twitter account. He laughed and I asked when did he hope to buy his first one. He said its a few years away yet. I said you could always buy a second hand one in 3 or 4 years if you do well and get a fat contract. I then advised him if he got the coupe, not to drive it to the club because the boys will do their own special detailing if the roof is down. Told him a few things that have happened to players cars over the years and mentioned how the players parked Arnie's car in the goal square when he was runner. He had a laugh and said he will keep that in mind.

A family grabbed him for some photos and the boys came around as they were about to go. I grabbed him briefly and said if you hear calls of well played Roller on the outer wing at AO that will be from me and a few mates. He looked at me and said is that because I'm a Steam Roller! For a second I was speechless and then said I hadn't thought of that, but that is a fair reason to call you that. I then said no its because your love of Rolls Royce. He smiled, we shook hands and I wished him all the best for the game against the swans and told him to hit the Sydney mids hard.

Today at the SCG the Roller performed dual roles. Sometimes he was the Steam Roller, other times he was The Rolls Royce.

Nah! I disagree RCP a Roller is to slow and the wrong car for SPP – he plays footy more like a Syclone.

The 500 AWHP, AWD, Hillclimbing, Psycho Syclone - /TUNED

A mate of mine has one here in Alice – its all POWER - GRUNT like SPP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah McGrath will get the nod this week for curtailing the almighty Cyril and the fact he was part of the Essendon romance story but I have no doubt SPP will get his nod before long

Never mind the 2 goals he kicked - it was the one that was anulled in the last term that goosebumped me.

Fourth quarter of a tough, greasy slog against the most mature, strong contested team in the past few years, and he barges through a pack, brushing off multiple grasping desperate Swans and slams it in the boot accurately. If that Swans defender's fingers ain't broken, then it weren't touched!

I can't wait for the Samurai to grow up and fill out...
This! Even though it was disallowed, I feel like it won us the game. His absolute refusal to lose made every teammate lift that little bit more knowing our youngest and least experienced player would will us across the line.

It'll be SPP or McGrath, McGrath was good tbh, so won't be mad if SPP doesn't get it, he'll get one in the next fortnight.

If Powell-Pepper doesn't get it, we riot.

Does anyone here have any insight into why he didn't go higher? I can't remember another player that was hyped up so quickly that low down the draft. It would make more sense if he had a massive JLT and then the praise started, but lots of people were already talking about how good he was before the JLT started. If you have a look at the draft combine results which don't even measure his best ability (i.e he's a monster) he is a clear standout:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-09/top10-results-from-2016-nab-afl-draft-combine

I read elsewhere that he has been involved in various indigenous/ leadership programs as well so it seems like there are no behavioural issues (if anything this makes him even more attractive). Whilst I am more than happy to get a steal like this ... it just seems so ridiculous that so many pundits were talking about him in January when 17 other clubs passed on him in October/ Nov.

Does anyone here have any insight into why he didn't go higher? I can't remember another player that was hyped up so quickly that low down the draft. It would make more sense if he had a massive JLT and then the praise started, but lots of people were already talking about how good he was before the JLT started. If you have a look at the draft combine results which don't even measure his best ability (i.e he's a monster) he is a clear standout:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-09/top10-results-from-2016-nab-afl-draft-combine

I read elsewhere that he has been involved in various indigenous/ leadership programs as well so it seems like there are no behavioural issues (if anything this makes him even more attractive). Whilst I am more than happy to get a steal like this ... it just seems so ridiculous that so many pundits were talking about him in January when 17 other clubs passed on him in October/ Nov.

In fairness the first round of the draft was anyone's guess. Top 10 top 20 there was no real concences. On our board there were a couple who really liked him but most of us were looking at others and making a good case for them.

I thought some of it was because he didn't really play as a mid during his Colts / U18s footy. Played back in his second to last year and was never a big possession getter.

Thought he looked good leading up at the ball in the first and third quarter (left of screen)

It will be interesting to see how Sam handles the roar and encouragement of 40k+ fans at AO. He is a fan favourite and hasn't even played at home yet. It will test his maturity.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back