Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

SPP add some good old fashioned PA swagger that has been missing for some time.
Chad (Cornes) had it, Chad W has it and now SPP too.

Im excited and I dont care what his nickname ends up being as long as he maintains the rage ..

There have been plenty of cases where a non-Victorian player has received the round 1 rising star nomination. Ollie Wines in 2013, Claye Beams(Brisbane) in 2012, Daniel Rich(Brisbane) in 2009, Paul Medhurst(Fremantle) in 2002, Damian Cupido(Brisbane) in 2001, Paul Hasleby(Fremantle) in 2000, Shane O'Bree(Brisbane) in 1999, Michael Braun(West Coast) in 1998.

There have been plenty of cases where a non-Victorian player has received the round 1 rising star nomination. Ollie Wines in 2013, Claye Beams(Brisbane) in 2012, Daniel Rich(Brisbane) in 2009, Paul Medhurst(Fremantle) in 2002, Damian Cupido(Brisbane) in 2001, Paul Hasleby(Fremantle) in 2000, Shane O'Bree(Brisbane) in 1999, Michael Braun(West Coast) in 1998.
Its the persecution complex at work for some people.

Think there is genuine love for Sam in the Melbourne media listening to a few of the comments during and after the game. I think it could help sway things his way if it's close.
If not Fremantles midfield was beaten up by the Cats we won't be any easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When is it announced

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When is it announced
Two weeks ;)

IIRC they make the announcements on the Tuesday after the round.

Edit: Last year's nominations were posted on the AFL website at 8:00pm on the Monday night following the round.

Last edited:
Its the persecution complex at work for some people.
I can see why people may think Andrew McGrath may get the nod, after all Essendon have the sympathy vote in Melbourne. But even though he got 22 disposals I didn't hear his name mentioned much during the game or in the match report. Wayne Milera and SPP seem to be the ones with the best chance.

If he doesn't get the nomination this week, it is not necessarily a bad thing. It keeps the job ahead of him, and he won’t have to do all these unnecessary interviews. If Milera gets it, they will adorn him as the second coming, and start preparation for his statue.

Admittedly, if SPP does get it, he does seem like the type of guy that will be able handle it without it affecting his game.

It's so not a hard luck underdog story. They were the architects of their own demise FFS.
Nah, players forced to stand out of football for 12 months for a crime they didn't commit, former captain forced to hand back his Chas, club rewarded with the #1 draft pick. It's a sporting fairy tale I tells ya.

It's so not a hard luck underdog story. They were the architects of their own demise FFS.
The only disappointment I had with Paddy's post game interview, was him not saying he was disappointed Port suffered his absence for Essendon's cheating. Essendon and cheating still obviously need to be mentioned together by everyone, since the AFL and Vic media are sickening in their carpet sweeping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back