Mongrel - who has it who doesn't ? Does it Matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to be in the minority when I say this....

I'd like to see Ed Curnow given the captaincy for a year. But if not him then it's gotta be Doc.

Of all of our midfielders Ed's our best two-way midfielder, has the support of the younger players, is as vocal as they come and is just overall a genuine leader.
Consider yourself repressed.....

No one in our team has that mongrel in them which is something we need to be successful.

Probably agree, yet I think it's also can be masked by youth and inexperience. As an example, I think someone like Zac Fisher can develop mongrel. Sure he's not physically imposing, but just oozes a thirst for the contest. This can develop to mongrel. It's not the size of the fight in the dog type of thing.
Charlie will get it, Cripps is getting it. They need some time to get comfortable in their own skin.
We need it to develop because its going to be hugely important if we want to achieve the ultimate success.

It's probably been an issue since Fev, Angwin and Norman helped create the 'no dickheads' policy. Over Compensation left a list lacking any sort of mongrel. The kids from the last 2 drafts seem much happier getting in the opposition faces than other years, not sure if it'll be the 'unsociable' type of footy though. Time for a 'more dickheads' policy ;).

Saw NO evidence was waiting for him to clobber someone nice and proper but NOTHING...I'll give him ten games to show something.
Don't you worry about Harry, he has got a shitty liver. He behaved himself first up, but he has agro to burn. Watch this space.

I'm trying to remember which of our brand new draftees got into the biffo with Essendon in the preseason game last year. I know Jack did, I think Charlie and/or McKay did. Fisher definitely has some mongrel, but it needs provocation and he doesn't quite have the size to back it up yet. Weiters has been off the boil lately but he is usually quick to get in and defend his mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to remember which of our brand new draftees got into the biffo with Essendon in the preseason game last year. I know Jack did, I think Charlie and/or McKay did. Fisher definitely has some mongrel, but it needs provocation and he doesn't quite have the size to back it up yet. Weiters has been off the boil lately but he is usually quick to get in and defend his mates.
Harry was definitely in that one & looked to be enjoying himself.

Cunners definitely has it.

Takes some time to get it out, usually late in the 2nd quarter when he decides he's had enough of everyone's s**t and busts through a pack or puts some guy on his ass.

Also gave a Melbourne player a taste of the turf during pre-season, gave away a 50 I think.

But we need to get him engaged earlier and more frequently.

Harry has it.
Loves laying a bone-crunching tackle and getting involved in some push and shove.

Willo has it. That we know.

Fisher is too nice. While he won't get in your face out of respect for humanity, he plays relentless, not concerned.

Weitering is an arrogant c**t and I love it. He's just down on confidence at the moment, once he gets his mojo back he'll be taunting players again.

And then when he engages in some push and shove, the dickhead umpire gives a freekick to the other team...

Cunners definitely has it.

Takes some time to get it out, usually late in the 2nd quarter when he decides he's had enough of everyone's s**t and busts through a pack or puts some guy on his ass.

Also gave a Melbourne player a taste of the turf during pre-season, gave away a 50 I think.

But we need to get him engaged earlier and more frequently.

Harry has it.
Loves laying a bone-crunching tackle and getting involved in some push and shove.

Willo has it. That we know.

Fisher is too nice. While he won't get in your face out of respect for humanity, he plays relentless, not concerned.
Willo DEFINITELY has it.

Brisbane bitch slapped us on the weekend. It was obvious. We were physically bullied. And they aint no powerhouse. Its hard to ask what is essentially a team of kids to show teal mongrel. Its what makes Powell-pepper so unique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back