AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Laverde still plays in the first final, not expecting much but hoping he stays fit and can attack the pre-season 100%

A fully fit Laverde will be a real weapon for us next year

Could it be a little similar with Marty Gleeson playing the last Elimination we played against Norf?
I remember there were a lot of people questioning his selection back then, but I think it has really helped Marty on his path to becoming a better player.
If Laverde is considered best 22 going forward, he must play.

Laverde still plays in the first final, not expecting much but hoping he stays fit and can attack the pre-season 100%

A fully fit Laverde will be a real weapon for us next year
He's showing good signs every week
Took a couple of strong contested grabs yday (more than I can say for a lot of our list) and he's looking like he is getting more confidence to take the hits that come with afl contests.
The swans game will be good for him. Will likely be the toughest contest he's ever played in and is likely to be a little overwhelmed for a bit.
But will be all the better for it.
Looking forward to 2018 and seeing him at the drop of the ball with Heppell and Merrett next season

He's showing good signs every week
Took a couple of strong contested grabs yday (more than I can say for a lot of our list) and he's looking like he is getting more confidence to take the hits that come with afl contests.
The swans game will be good for him. Will likely be the toughest contest he's ever played in and is likely to be a little overwhelmed for a bit.
But will be all the better for it.
Looking forward to 2018 and seeing him at the drop of the ball with Heppell and Merrett next season
He took one body on body but was I imagining things or did he twice give a less than honest jump at aerial contests? Thought there was one where he simply dropped his head and one where he seemed to choose to move under the ball and jump straight up off two feet rather than really attacking it with forward momentum.

Haven't noticed this from him before...would happily be mistaken.

Either he or Begley will make way for Fantasia. I think the quality of Begley's disposal gives him the edge though it is a lot to ask a third game player to contribute in a final.

Thought Laverde's game improved as the day went on.

His ground work and and strength in the contest was consistent through the day.

His marking started off rusty but definitely seemed to improve.

Needs to fix up that Goal Kicking though - in his first year it didn't seem like a problem whatsoever.

Was so dirty with himself after missing that goal after the siren he told Heppell to '* off mate' as he tried to console him. I saw Heppell grab him by the head and bring him in although I'm not sure what happened after that as the camera cut away. He still looked shat off at the start of the last term. I reckon he could be about to have a break out game.

Was so dirty with himself after missing that goal after the siren he told Heppell to '**** off mate' as he tried to console him. I saw Heppell grab him by the head and bring him in although I'm not sure what happened after that as the camera cut away. He still looked shat off at the start of the last term. I reckon he could be about to have a break out game.
Did the same after last weeks game, as everyone was kinda happy you could see how filthy he was with himself with talking to Walla.

I know he's only 21 but a big pre-season for Laverde looks lost as a footballer and lacks footy nous.

I can't see him being a midfielder because he shows no skills in close and lacks agility.

Needs to get himself super fit and provide an option on the wing. At the crossroads for mine.
Lacks agility? Wtf. Zero idea how you could get that impression. He has an awesome sidestep, that's probably the best attribute he's consistently shown this season.

He's not a forward, he's never in the right position. He should be able to out leap and out muscle his opponents but he's always just standing there when the ball comes to him.

He could be a really good midfielder. I really don't understand how what anyone's seen of him this year could dispel that notion. He hasn't shown the aerial ability I thought he had but he still looks excellent with ball in hand.

Lacks agility? Wtf. Zero idea how you could get that impression. He has an awesome sidestep, that's probably the best attribute he's consistently shown this season.

He's not a forward, he's never in the right position. He should be able to out leap and out muscle his opponents but he's always just standing there when the ball comes to him.

He could be a really good midfielder. I really don't understand how what anyone's seen of him this year could dispel that notion. He hasn't shown the aerial ability I thought he had but he still looks excellent with ball in hand.
The Titanic has a better turning circle.

When he actually shows something in the midfield at either senior level or VFL I will get excited. I have my own eyes and I don't see a midfielder at all.

these two comments are spot on.
He's not a forward. He's a utility mid.
His u18s strengths were his power in contests and breakaway capabilities
A good preseason and no injury should see him transition into Jobe's role as Myers partner at the stoppages. 3rd (4th?) game back - he needs time to get some match fitness and continuity. Same applies/will apply to Langford when he gets back too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

these two comments are spot on.
He's not a forward. He's a utility mid.
His u18s strengths were his power in contests and breakaway capabilities
A good preseason and no injury should see him transition into Jobe's role as Myers partner at the stoppages. 3rd (4th?) game back - he needs time to get some match fitness and continuity. Same applies/will apply to Langford when he gets back too.
I love the youth we have on our list and think we have some real quality but I have never been a fan of Laverde. I think he can play a role but I don't think he will ever be a gun and definitely don't see him taking Jobes spot.

I hope I'm wrong though.

I love the youth we have on our list and think we have some real quality but I have never been a fan of Laverde. I think he can play a role but I don't think he will ever be a gun and definitely don't see him taking Jobes spot.

I hope I'm wrong though.
We all have different favourites.
Laverde is mine. Mainly cos i rated him a top 5 talent and we scored him late first round, but i also like what i see in what is still a very raw player.
Its a shame he has had such a bad injury run because i think he'd be a regular 22 midfielder by now.
While 2017 isn't over, I'm keen for 2018 to roll in with some good preseasons into Langford, Laverde, Mutch and Francis.

He took one body on body but was I imagining things or did he twice give a less than honest jump at aerial contests? Thought there was one where he simply dropped his head and one where he seemed to choose to move under the ball and jump straight up off two feet rather than really attacking it with forward momentum.

Haven't noticed this from him before...would happily be mistaken.

Nope you're not mistaken. I recall two very bizarre leaps at marking that were far too early, almost as if he was trying to pump fake his opponent to go with??

We all have different favourites.
Laverde is mine. Mainly cos i rated him a top 5 talent and we scored him late first round, but i also like what i see in what is still a very raw player.
Its a shame he has had such a bad injury run because i think he'd be a regular 22 midfielder by now.
While 2017 isn't over, I'm keen for 2018 to roll in with some good preseasons into Langford, Laverde, Mutch and Francis.
Next year will certainly be interesting for him.

Woosha has a very defined structure in the way he uses his personnel and he won't just throw him into midfield unless he absolutely demands it.

Langers has had to do a very big trial period in the VFL and he's had no injuries and in my opinion looks a natural midfielder.

For Lav to get in he will have to get his body right and on top of that show that he can do a job around the stoppages. I really hope he can but I think it's looking slim.

Lets just hope with what ever footy is left he gets through unscathed so his body can have a little rest and he can get a good preseason into him. Could easily be headed down the same path as Myers who never really got a fair run at things and we never really got to see his full potential yet. I hope his injury concerns a thing of the past.

Next year will certainly be interesting for him.

Woosha has a very defined structure in the way he uses his personnel and he won't just throw him into midfield unless he absolutely demands it.

Langers has had to do a very big trial period in the VFL and he's had no injuries and in my opinion looks a natural midfielder.

For Lav to get in he will have to get his body right and on top of that show that he can do a job around the stoppages. I really hope he can but I think it's looking slim.
He and Langford will form a good midfield partnership. The Watson/Myers successors for me.

I think Begley will join Langford in there. I still have hope that laverde can play on a wing.
Ruck Heppell Laverde
McGrath Merrett Parish
Tippa Daniher Begley
bench - Zaka Langford Mutch

Begley, Laverde & Langford as the mids who push forward (along with Zaka).

From Cal Twomey pre-draft

"For a start, Laverde is versatile. He can be used in almost any role given his size (189cm, 82kg) and athleticism.

At times through the season he was played off half-back, on the wing, as a half-forward or true midfielder, but Laverde's strength is being able to do all of that within a single game.

Being a big-bodied midfielder seems to be his go at the next level given he has the pace, agility and strength around the ball and the breakaway qualities to find space.

Around the ground Laverde has shown his ability to cut off the play from half-back and he reads the play well to take overhead, intercept marks and then get moving.

Powerful, quick and with excellent lateral movement, Laverde has some genuine game-turning traits to his game. He kicked 15 goals from 10 games for the Jets, showing his attacking mindset."

Lovin that.
Mutch and Clarke coming through.
Francis will rotate defence and midfield too.
I know a lot of these young guys are far from proven but I feel we have some real talent to work with going forward.

The best thing is that none are super slow.

We will be a force in a couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back