AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish the club would stop with these posts.
The fans love seeing it. Of course they're going to post them. Strange thing to get annoyed about.

It's a club's social media account...

I don't think that makes it any less cringy. It also raises unrealistic expectations within the supporter group by making it seem as though a particular player is going 'above and beyond' when he's probably doing just what he should be. Given Laverde hasn't set the world on fire yet, they should just let him fly under the radar. A heap of additional expectations from a rabid fan base is the last thing he needs

The tweets are fake news by the way.

Langford, for instance, isn't training at all. He's hanging out with a bunch of players in Bali as documented by Josh Begley's instagram.

I hope they consume many mushroom shakes.

I don't think that makes it any less cringy. It also raises unrealistic expectations within the supporter group by making it seem as though a particular player is going 'above and beyond' when he's probably doing just what he should be. Given Laverde hasn't set the world on fire yet, they should just let him fly under the radar. A heap of additional expectations from a rabid fan base is the last thing he needs
It's a club's social media account...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

scezza I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Given it's the club's account, I would've thought that they'd be a little more measured.
The point is that it's the off season and the club wants to keep member engagement up and putting posts up of players training is perfect thing to do so.

Langford, for instance, isn't training at all. He's hanging out with a bunch of players in Bali as documented by Josh Begley's instagram.

LOL

Was literally about to post the same thing about the Fantasia comments. I look forward to Laverde being a full time mid now!

Strange that my post was agreeing with KM - I don't see Laverde becoming a full time mid, especially playing inside because of these deficiencies in his game - I have more confidence in Langford filling this role, though he's yet to convince me.

Strange that my post was agreeing with KM - I don't see Laverde becoming a full time mid, especially playing inside because of these deficiencies in his game - I have more confidence in Langford filling this role, though he's yet to convince me.
I think he can play in the guts, it all boils down to how much he wants it and if his body can hold up though.

I recall in his debut year, Hird threw him in the guts against Adelaide in round 20 2015. He had 20 disposals (9 kicks, 11 handballs) plus 8 marks, 4 tackles and a 1 goal.

Despite the fact we got owned that game, it shows the kid is capable of it.

The forward structure with JD Hooker Stewart Laverde is too tall and didn't work imo.

Going forward I think Laverde will need to become a midfielder to get a game, hopefully he can have a big preseason and make it happen.

Any tips on how to find your way home if you indulge in too many said shakes?

I think he can play in the guts, it all boils down to how much he wants it and if his body can hold up though.

I recall in his debut year, Hird threw him in the guts against Adelaide in round 20 2015. He had 20 disposals (9 kicks, 11 handballs) plus 8 marks, 4 tackles and a 1 goal.

Despite the fact we got owned that game, it shows the kid is capable of it.
Totally agree. He needs consistent game time at the top level to play into the role. It's why I'm sceptical about playing finals next year, unless Stringer, Kennedy etc etc.

If Stringer comes it puts immense pressure on Laverde, can’t have a forward line of Stringer, Laverde, Stewart, Hooker and JD. Richmond have shown the comp how important pressure applied by your forwards is. Until Laverde looks better below his knees, improves his aerobic ability and has greater agility he won’t be a mid he will only be a hit up half forward that Stringer is far superior at. Hopefully injuries haven’t smashed him to the point he can’t resolve these issues...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back