AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the talk of us having no inside mids, is it just me who wants to see this kid be the one who steps up and surprises in that area?

Or am I dreaming?
It's what most people should be thinking. I think it's pretty clear that's where he's going to excel the most, we have very few guys who are willing to actually throw their weight around in congestion and are capable of shrugging off and breaking through, he's one of them. Just needs a clean run at it.

It's what most people should be thinking. I think it's pretty clear that's where he's going to excel the most, we have very few guys who are willing to actually throw their weight around in congestion and are capable of shrugging off and breaking through, he's one of them. Just needs a clean run at it.
For all the talk around our midfield being inordinately short the real fact of the matter is that if both Lav and Langford can find their midfield mojo, and Mutch continues to improve then the balance of talks and smalls would be perfect. The problem of course is that none of those 3 is established and Stringer is still a forward. It would be nigh on orgasmic if all 4 of these blokes clicked at the same time.

For all the talk of us having no inside mids, is it just me who wants to see this kid be the one who steps up and surprises in that area?
I'll settle for a clear run at it. Rest him against Geelong and we're all good.

Not clean enough below the knees ...

On a serious note, he was going to be my favorite because I didn't think Ambrose would hold his spot in the side. Then we drafted Francis. I'm so confused. I hope he is something through the guts we've never had in my time. 190cm, with speed and strength, a great side step and fantastic overhead. He has played with zero confidence in the seniors so far. I think he'll get over that and settle into being a very good player.

Having all three above, plus Stringer, Hurley, Merrett, Daniher, Fantasia and Tippa in the side. Trying to find a favorite is like trying to pick a wife in Medellin.

if theres 2 players i really wanna see step up...is laverde and francis....imagine how good we would be if they lifted there games to the level we know they can do...along with all the other talent we have....blows my mind to think how good we would be.....along with langford and colyer deciding to stop fumbling the bloody football....and hartley stepping up one more level also........would also like to see clarke given a go as an inside mid....cheers

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-17/its-my-time-to-give-it-a-crack

"I know I haven't shown what my full potential is and I feel it's up to me to do it now. Being my fourth year I've had enough time to realise, and to know, what's expected, so it's my time to really give it a crack," Laverde told AFL.com.au.

"It shouldn't have taken this long but it's my time to give it a crack and see how I go,"

"In my mind, I've got a lot more to show."
"It was annoying getting injured when I did. I felt I put my body in a position where I could play some good AFL footy, and was feeling pretty good about myself but freakish things happen," he said.

"There wasn't much I could do about it, but I tried to be as diligent as I could with my rehab and get back to playing AFL footy later in the season, which I did.

"When I came back, I felt fine and my body felt good. I had a good patch of form to get back into the ones quite quickly, but my touch was a little bit off here and there and hopefully this stint of pre-season will get me there."

This kid’s a jet just waiting to break out. If he does then we are in flag calculations.

Unless he becomes a top 5 player in the competition, that's probably not going to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would he need to become a top 5 player for that to happen? You obviously think we’re a mile off as it stands??

Just don't think Laverde is going to be the point of difference. It's hard to say where we're at, we look good on paper, but that does not count for much.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-17/its-my-time-to-give-it-a-crack

"I know I haven't shown what my full potential is and I feel it's up to me to do it now. Being my fourth year I've had enough time to realise, and to know, what's expected, so it's my time to really give it a crack," Laverde told AFL.com.au.

"It shouldn't have taken this long but it's my time to give it a crack and see how I go,"

"In my mind, I've got a lot more to show."
"It was annoying getting injured when I did. I felt I put my body in a position where I could play some good AFL footy, and was feeling pretty good about myself but freakish things happen," he said.

"There wasn't much I could do about it, but I tried to be as diligent as I could with my rehab and get back to playing AFL footy later in the season, which I did.

"When I came back, I felt fine and my body felt good. I had a good patch of form to get back into the ones quite quickly, but my touch was a little bit off here and there and hopefully this stint of pre-season will get me there."

I like what he's saying but talking the talk is the easy part. Lets hope he gets a clear run at it injury wise and he gets a fair chance to show what he's really got.

if theres 2 players i really wanna see step up...is laverde and francis....imagine how good we would be if they lifted there games to the level we know they can do...along with all the other talent we have....blows my mind to think how good we would be.....along with langford and colyer deciding to stop fumbling the bloody football....and hartley stepping up one more level also........would also like to see clarke given a go as an inside mid....cheers

couldn't agree more with this sentiment.

Two guys heading into there 4th and 3rd years respectively, wilting away in the injury room &/or reserves who were both high draft picks.

It is now for them to step up and realise potential into output. Ditto Langford as well.

Reckon Woosha has him oegged as Stringers partner.

One in the midfield and one in the forward line and they rotate.

Think Laverde develops firstly as an outside midfielder with stints on a wing first and theres that opportunity there with limited genuine wingmen in our side with Zacka likely to be required more onball and the loss of Stanton, Goddard to those positions.

I feel Parish gets opportunity inside before Laverde does

Laverde 70% Forward/20% Outside wing/10% Inside mid for me

Ive still really liked his ability to hit the score board when forward

Think Laverde develops firstly as an outside midfielder with stints on a wing first and theres that opportunity there with limited genuine wingmen in our side with Zacka likely to be required more onball and the loss of Stanton, Goddard to those positions.

I feel Parish gets opportunity inside before Laverde does

Laverde 70% Forward/20% Outside wing/10% Inside mid for me

Ive still really liked his ability to hit the score board when forward

Am I missing something obvious? What attributes have we seen from
him to date that would deem him as an effective rotation on the outside?

Stanton isn't a loss because he wasn't there the last 2 years, and Goddard hasn't really played wing. Don't think we need a genuine wingmen, when you literally have two of the quickest players in the competition off halfback, who have no issues with carrying the ball.

His first job is to get ahead of Colyer at the selection table. We would all love him to do that, but what if Colyer is 10% better next year? It could be a big challenge for Laverde to get ahead of a player who is hitting the scoreboard and getting 22+ touches (sans the fumbles) per week. Plus Colyer has the "ludicrous team speed" factor going for it.

His first job is to get ahead of Colyer at the selection table. We would all love him to do that, but what if Colyer is 10% better next year? It could be a big challenge for Laverde to get ahead of a player who is hitting the scoreboard and getting 22+ touches (sans the fumbles) per week. Plus Colyer has the "ludicrous team speed" factor going for it.
Colyer is garbage and mynott/guelfi should be ahead of him, let alone laverde

Am I missing something obvious? What attributes have we seen from
him to date that would deem him as an effective rotation on the outside?

Stanton isn't a loss because he wasn't there the last 2 years, and Goddard hasn't really played wing. Don't think we need a genuine wingmen, when you literally have two of the quickest players in the competition off halfback, who have no issues with carrying the ball.

Played his football as a junior in an outside mid role. As i said it would only be 20%

His dash, run, break the lines outside can have a part in the early stages as a mid before eventually becoming an inside midfielder hopefully. He also has a pretty good tank from memory im sure i remember reading him running a 15+ beep test at some point

* I havnt seen him play any footy at vfl level

Id have Heppell, Z.Merrett, Zacka, Stringer, Devon Smith, Langford, Myers all picked ahead of him inside

As for outside im not sure who there is. We have McGrath, Zacka at times albeit a better inside mid and maybe a bit of Dev Smith. Theres openings there for guys like Mutch and Laverde if they want to grab an opportunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back