Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd look at Fogarty with pick 3 very good footballer, hopefully he's endurance will improve better than a 40 /60 midfielde time.
At 192 cm already we have another Cripps right there with perhaps better forward impact.
Combined they'd make an outrageous impact.

If Rayner's unavaible he's the next best thing.

Keep dreaming. No way will Adelaide offer 1st & 2nd round pick for 30 plus Gibbs, late first round only.

Pick 14 will not get Stringer deal done on its own, would need to throw in an exchange of 2nd round picks or a player.

The rest is feasible although Rayner likely to go 1 or 2 imo.
Wow, Gibbs gets older and older every time I log on to bigfooty.

By the time trade week comes along he will well and truly be sitting in a nursing home enjoying his twilight years of life.

If u dont mind the intrusion... i dont think your midfield is the problem ... more forward line. You need a forward line that can score and have high defensive pressure. Makes the midfield and defence look a million bucks when they can keep the ball in the fwd 50. If i was carton.. id be going fowards who can do the above.
We kinda believe that we already have the key pieces to our forward line already there. They are just very young at the moment.

Tall forwards:
McKay, Charlie, Ben Silvagni

Medium forward: Jack Silvagni

Defensive forward: Jed Lamb

Small Forward: Pickett

Add resting mids to rotate through: Murphy, SPS, Fisher, Cripps

Our forward line is really good going forward, we just need to be patient with it, as it is very very young. Hence us relying on Casboult at the moment.

Yeah yeah, we've seen it in the media and heard it before. What those who aren't Carlton supporters don't know is that we have quite a few forward options (albeit who were recruited way too late) and it has taken some time to develop them.

The wider community are only just starting to see the skills of Charlie Curnow, and we have another big forward option in Harry McKay, and hopefully another medium sized forward in Patrick Kerr. Unfortunately all 3 of them have had injuries (the latter 2 in particular) and are only just coming into the picture.

Until then we have had to persevere with big Levi (who is much maligned) and there is a (justifiable) perception we don't have a functional forward line. Maybe we could do with a focus point like Stringer in the short term, but longer term we will be OK. There is no 'Quick Fix' for our forward line, we just need to get games into the young blokes we have.

It's also Bloody obvious that we have a poor midfield with no depth. No point having a great forward line if you can't get it down there enough

I agree, but it's the lack of a compliment to Laird, and that Seedsman features in their defence which is the cause for concern. Brodie Smith isn't much chop, so I don't think they'll miss him if they can develop someone.

I think Wigg comes in for Smith though next year if his not traded to us.

Wow, Gibbs gets older and older every time I log on to bigfooty.

By the time trade week comes along he will well and truly be sitting in a nursing home enjoying his twilight years of life.

Yeah I got carried away, he has been around for ages but I now know he is only 28.

Sorry for not getting my facts straight before I posted. Lesson learned.

Pick 10 for Lever & Pick 17 would get it done I reckon.

Tall forwards:
McKay, Charlie, Ben Silvagni

Touch early? :)

But I agree a lot of the raw ingredients are there for a forward line. Would we turn down a ready made power KPF? Hell no! Should we at least enquire about explosive HFFers like String, or McGovern, or whoever? Yes we should.

The footy media analysts will say "Carlton's forward line sucks" - and they are right. But they are looking at Harry McKay for what he is now, not what he (fingers crossed) will be in 2020. Then, naturally, they'll act surprised and say "woah, where did this guy come from??"

If Dogs want him out, or String wants out, you don't cough up pick 3. No. Flowering. Way.

Pick 3 is for taking to the draft, or (if it goes that way) obtaining Kelly, a star in the right age bracket to fast-track our midfield rebuild. That's it.

Best scenarios from here are get a pick (maybe that magical #10) for Gibbs and either take both to the draft OR get Kelly with #3 and anything else you need to give up, and take pick #10 to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won last night without two all Australian's that's a couple of big injuries. They also have as many elite players as anyone I think you are just getting sucked into looking for high draft picks
They've used 31 players for the year, 3 less than the next team.

They rely on their dominance in attack to open things up for their midfield and defence to move the ball quickly up the ground. Shut that down, and they need to win clearances, which they can't do against some of the stronger bodies of the AFL, even if Jacobs happens to be on-song.

They aren't all that, and if they win this season it will be a pretty stagnant year in the evolution of the game.

In case anyone was still wondering if The Age was a mouthpiece for us...

I think Wigg comes in for Smith though next year if his not traded to us.
I actually think it will be Doedee. I still don't understand why they burnt such a high pick on him, but he's coming along as a speedy intercepting type. Probably still can't kick for s**t though.

I would totally offer pick 3 for Stringer and Liberatore together

The issue is, Stringer is probably worth a pick in the 10-15 range, and probably best fits a team who are on the verge but need a star to push them over the top... ie, a team picking in the 10-15 range. He's a perfect target for Essendon, Melbourne, even Port

Stringer is still contracted, so I reckon he would cost #3.
Anyway, reports this morning that he wants to go to Geelong.

TBH, if that's the case I would be happy if we took Menzel off their hands. Is a RFA. Think he'd be worth it myself.

TBH, if that's the case I would be happy if we took Menzel off their hands. Is a RFA. Think he'd be worth it myself.

I'd be happy to take Menzel off their hands, although the S.A. teams may be keener and in particular Port.

Geelong clearly wanting to make room for a player or two or three.

I believe he'll be a free agent in two years, so he'll only cost us cap space, rather than cap space and 2 first round draft picks.

Kelly in his 4th season.

So 4 more years until he's a restricted FA, unless they change the rules before then (which the AFLPA is pushing for).

I'd be happy to take Menzel off their hands, although the S.A. teams may be keener and in particular Port.

Geelong clearly wanting to make room for a player or two or three.

Id actually really like us to have a nibble at Rockliff too TBH. Think he would be a good get for us at this point in our rebuild. Though I don't know if we have any interest in him or Menzel for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back