Play Nice 2018 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard predict the Swans, everyone judges them on their form at the end of last year. They're also the team that lost their first 6th though.
I just dont know, but I do think they're way to short with the bookies.
they are well drilled and know how to win games.
Can't write them off, but i can see them battling it out for a spot in the 8 again.

Every club has reason for optimism at this time of the year.
That's the beauty of this thread. There's quite a few months to go before the footy is back but the new season will bring excitement or optimism to supporters for all sorts of reasons whether it's the development of your younger players, your team potentially rising up the ladder or whether it is making that jump into premiership contention. It's quite fun speculating what the new season will bring and really I think footy as a whole is at an exciting phase atm.

That's the beauty of this thread. There's quite a few months to go before the footy is back but the new season will bring excitement or optimism to supporters for all sorts of reasons whether it's the development of your younger players, your team potentially rising up the ladder or whether it is making that jump into premiership contention. It's quite fun speculating what the new season will bring and really I think footy as a whole is at an exciting phase atm.
I think people should be a bit more bullish about their clubs. The trolling from haters annoys me but sneering at people who are optimistic about their team is my pet hate ..

I think people should be a bit more bullish about their clubs. The trolling from haters annoys me but sneering at people who are optimistic about their team is my pet hate ..
I think we're all biased to a degree but I'm sure the general footy supporter would be optimistic of their team during the off-season & pre-season which is certainly understandable. I think most Melbourne supporters are pretty bullish of the season ahead, I certainly am and I think we will finally make the finals this time. That would be my minimum expectation although I'm aiming for us to finish in the top 6 and at least win a final for next season.

I think we're all biased to a degree but I'm sure the general footy supporter would be optimistic of their team during the off-season & pre-season which is certainly understandable. I think most Melbourne supporters are pretty bullish of the season ahead, I certainly am and I think we will finally make the finals this time. That would be my minimum expectation although I'm aiming for us to finish in the top 6 and at least win a final for next season.
I can't see you missing the 8, I wonder if your list will need a final or two to become serious flag contenders in following years.

I wonder if your list will need a final or two to become serious flag contenders in following years.
I think that's what will happen. I can't see us seriously contending in our first year of finals however I reckon it will be a different story come the 2nd or 3rd time around in finals with our current group of players. Your team did very well in your first finals series in 2016, almost made the GF and you made the PF again this year. I reckon 3rd time around, GWS can take the next step into a GF but there will be quite a few teams who could be in contention such as Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide, Port Adelaide and Richmond so the competition will be tight.

After the fixture has been released you'd expect Richmond, Adelaide and Geelong to be right up there. Essendon with a super easy draw should definitely finish in the top 7 as well.

Below groups in any order:
Top 7:
Adelaide
Essendon
Geelong
GWS
Port Adelaide
Richmond
Sydney

8-10:
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
West Coast

11-13:
Collingwood
Hawthorn
St Kilda

14-18:
Brisbane
Carlton
Fremantle
Gold Coast
North Melbourne

Ok had a look at the draw and yes I have gone crazy biased against Adelaide :D

Adelaide 17-5
GWS 17-5
Sydney 16-6
Geelong 16-6
West Coast 15-7
Richmond 14-8
St Kilda 13-9
Collingwood 13-9

Essendon 12-10
Port Adelaide 11-11
Melbourne 11-11
Bulldogs 11-11
Hawthorn 8-14
Fremantle 7-15
Carlton 6-16
North Melbourne 5-17
Gold Coast 3-19
Brisbane 2-20

Each team could move up or down 2 wins or 2 losses , but I shall enter these tips on the Main Board Tipping Comp and see how I go.

I think Adelaide at worst should lose 7

I actually had Sydney at 8th, but figured that if Collingwood were close to making finals that they would successfully do whatever they can to make finals. I just feel like Sydney need a bit of a rejuvenation. Their early season form felt more like a danger sign rather than just a blip. Some of their core players are starting to hit their 30s and I feel like their youth can't carry the side while some of their seniors are hitting the other end of 30.

Then again, whenever I put Sydney out of the 8 in recent times they end up finishing with the minor premiership.
Fact is Sydney had injuries early and when they got close to their best side back on the park they blitzed. They also had a number of youngsters come in and find their feet in that early part of the year, which will now hold them in good stead.

Of all the clubs who finished within reach of the Finals in 2017, Sydney played more Top 8 teams than anyone else - 6 games - in the second half of the season, during their run to finals.

Of those 6 games they won 5.

The best any other club went against the eventual finalists was Adelaide with 3 wins and 2 losses.

Sydney will be near the pointy end.

Here's my reasoning:

- Richmond were excellent at the MCG last and are scheduled to play 14 games there. We only played 11 games there last year. I reckon Richmond's high pressure game style really holds up at the MCG, so provided that they bring that pressure I think we can get 1st. Besides, it isn't a huge shock for the reigning Premier to finish 1st with the minor premiership.

- I actually had Sydney at 8th, but figured that if Collingwood were close to making finals that they would successfully do whatever they can to make finals. I just feel like Sydney need a bit of a rejuvenation. Their early season form felt more like a danger sign rather than just a blip. Some of their core players are starting to hit their 30s and I feel like their youth can't carry the side while some of their seniors are hitting the other end of 30.

Then again, whenever I put Sydney out of the 8 in recent times they end up finishing with the minor premiership.

You'll get it right one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong
Port
Melbourne
Essendon
Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Collingwood
St Kilda

Richmond
Sydney
Carlton
GWS
Brisbane
Hawthorn
North
Gold Coast
Fremantle
West Coast

Here's my reasoning:

- Richmond were excellent at the MCG last and are scheduled to play 14 games there. We only played 11 games there last year. I reckon Richmond's high pressure game style really holds up at the MCG, so provided that they bring that pressure I think we can get 1st. Besides, it isn't a huge shock for the reigning Premier to finish 1st with the minor premiership.

- I actually had Sydney at 8th, but figured that if Collingwood were close to making finals that they would successfully do whatever they can to make finals. I just feel like Sydney need a bit of a rejuvenation. Their early season form felt more like a danger sign rather than just a blip. Some of their core players are starting to hit their 30s and I feel like their youth can't carry the side while some of their seniors are hitting the other end of 30.

I've got Sydney finishing 9th next year purely because they surely have to not make finals one year, right?

1-4, 5-6, 7-9, 10-14 and 15-18 can be any order really.

1. Sydney - Best team to watch in 2017, would of won the flag if they didn't start the season Round 7. I don't think they'll make the same mistake next year.
2. Port Adelaide - Strongest inclusions during trade period, should see them holding and winning an extra game or two from that alone.
3. Adelaide - I predict a rocky start as they shake of the 2017 GF wounds - but will be firing business end of the season.
4. Geelong - The addition of GAJ makes them hold despite their outs - Scott getting by again because of his players not his coaching.
5. Richmond - Have the luxury of learning from WB mistakes - I don't see them making them but I don't see winning enough to make Top 4 or being strong enough to go back to back.
6. GWS - With the loss of Mumford and their history with injuries - I see it costing them a few games again and slipping just outside of the Top 4.
7. Essendon - I don't think their ins were that great except for Saad - expectations and the eyes on them might be too much pressure.
8. Fremantle - I see us as a surprise packet - aside from the start we have a good draw and if we have luck with injuries I see us winning 12+ games.
9. Hawthorn - Were actually pretty good during the second half of the season - Clarkson to tinker their problems and game-plan and their youngsters to be even better next year.
10. Western Bulldogs - I see them holding which isn't too bad for the leadership that's going out the door.
11. Melbourne - I predict something similar to GWS - some of their important players are also their most injury prone ones and I see it costing them a finals berth again sadly.
12. West Coast - I think because of their outs and the fact they're going to be blooding a lot of players from this and last years draft (I hope) they'll have the one down year to develop before rocketing up the ladder again.
13. Brisbane - Another surprise (Sort of) - they definitely don't have a Bottom 4 list. Will win more games than people think. One more year of rebuilding before their second dynasty in 20 years.
14. North Melbourne -Very competitive this year considering how "bad" their list is meant to be. I don't see how they can finish Bottom 4 next year if this year is built on.
15. Carlton - A lot of young players getting a year on the field and another pre-season should see them play 4 quarters more consistently. Will win a few more games.
16. Saints - Nothing exciting about their 2017 season. 7 or 8 to be shining light in my vote for 2017's big fallers. Riewoldt + Montagna but they landed no recruits. Richardson extension to be questioned.
17. Collingwood - I predict a season long Pendlebury + Grundy injury that sees them losing a lot of games on top of their already mediocre list. Hopefully Buckley is gone.
18. Suns - Hard start. A quick reset year with new personal on board. No big losses and glimpses of 2019 will be enough to keep Tom Lynch.

Other random things:

South Australian GF - Adelaide win, Rockliff Norm Smith
Hawkins for Coleman
Tom Lynch re-signs after losing streak
T.Mitchell for Brownlow
Sean Darcy Rising Star
Petracca ACL
Both big WA ruck-man Sandilands & NicNat to retire before seasons over
Patrick Cripps to request trade to West Coast end of season
Hodge AA

1. Sydney - Best team to watch in 2017, would of won the flag if they didn't start the season Round 7. I don't think they'll make the same mistake next year.
2. Port Adelaide - Strongest inclusions during trade period, should see them holding and winning an extra game or two from that alone.
3. Adelaide - I predict a rocky start as they shake of the 2017 GF wounds - but will be firing business end of the season.
4. Geelong - The addition of GAJ makes them hold despite their outs - Scott getting by again because of his players not his coaching.
5. Richmond - Have the luxury of learning from WB mistakes - I don't see them making them but I don't see winning enough to make Top 4 or being strong enough to go back to back.
6. GWS - With the loss of Mumford and their history with injuries - I see it costing them a few games again and slipping just outside of the Top 4.
7. Essendon - I don't think their ins were that great except for Saad - expectations and the eyes on them might be too much pressure.
8. Fremantle - I see us as a surprise packet - aside from the start we have a good draw and if we have luck with injuries I see us winning 12+ games.
9. Hawthorn - Were actually pretty good during the second half of the season - Clarkson to tinker their problems and game-plan and their youngsters to be even better next year.
10. Western Bulldogs - I see them holding which isn't too bad for the leadership that's going out the door.
11. Melbourne - I predict something similar to GWS - some of their important players are also their most injury prone ones and I see it costing them a finals berth again sadly.
12. West Coast - I think because of their outs and the fact they're going to be blooding a lot of players from this and last years draft (I hope) they'll have the one down year to develop before rocketing up the ladder again.
13. Brisbane - Another surprise (Sort of) - they definitely don't have a Bottom 4 list. Will win more games than people think. One more year of rebuilding before their second dynasty in 20 years.
14. North Melbourne -Very competitive this year considering how "bad" their list is meant to be. I don't see how they can finish Bottom 4 next year if this year is built on.
15. Carlton - A lot of young players getting a year on the field and another pre-season should see them play 4 quarters more consistently. Will win a few more games.
16. Saints - Nothing exciting about their 2017 season. 7 or 8 to be shining light in my vote for 2017's big fallers. Riewoldt + Montagna but they landed no recruits. Richardson extension to be questioned.
17. Collingwood - I predict a season long Pendlebury + Grundy injury that sees them losing a lot of games on top of their already mediocre list. Hopefully Buckley is gone.
18. Suns - Hard start. A quick reset year with new personal on board. No big losses and glimpses of 2019 will be enough to keep Tom Lynch.

Other random things:

Hawkins for Coleman
T.Mitchell for Brownlow
Sean Darcy Rising Star
Petracca ACL
Hodge AA
That's nice your predicting injuries to Pendlebury and Grundy, real winner you are.

Other random things:

Hawkins for Coleman
T.Mitchell for Brownlow
Sean Darcy Rising Star
Petracca ACL
Hodge AA
It's poor form to be predicting injuries, don't really see why it is necessary, you're better off keeping those injury predictions to yourself I reckon.

GWS (best list & would've gone close this year with even luck)
Sydney (list remains in great shape; shaky start cost them)
Adelaide (no reason why they won't be at the pointy end again)
Richmond (who knows what effect the flag will have on their heads)
Geelong (ditto Adelaide)
Western Bulldogs (rebound on the cards)
Melbourne (if these guys are really hurting, surely they'll show it on the field)
Port Adelaide (talented but not convinced Hinkley has the key)

Essendon (had them slated for a fall but they've recruited well)
St.Kilda (honest team, will be around the mark, just in or just out)
Collingwood (same old, same old)
Carlton (some improvement coming at last)
Fremantle (another hard one to pick)
Hawthorn (don't think the young blokes can carry the day, Kennett possible destabiliser)
West Coast (rebuild = fall)
Brisbane (some improvement but it's a long way to the top)
Gold Coast (hard to pick but if they suck this year, the club may not recover)
North Melbourne (obvious spoon pick as they bottom out)

It's poor form to be predicting injuries, don't really see why it is necessary, you're better off keeping those injury predictions to yourself I reckon.

Not really. It's apart of the game and always seems to play a factor in one team or another's on-field success every season. If some shot in the dark predictions like that - especially some of which at least have some history to back them up makes you sensitive then that's your problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back