List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I bet my left nut he doesn't play a game for the Eagles, ridiculous selection seriously our recruiters are idiots.
I've heard of a sig bet, but a fig bet is next level.

I remember seeing somewhere that Port were keen on Banfield. They'll probably pounce before we have a chance to if this is the case :(

Stocksy is pushing the propaganda early it seems.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-11-25/recruiters-nailed-it

"list manager Brady Rawlings and national recruiting manager Rohan O’Brien and their team should be chuffed at the broad list coverage they achieved."

Stick to blaming the WAFL for the eagles young players being s**t, it's what you're good at campaigner.

Could you name these posters that are credible? Because as much as I love you guys you are basically on the same level as the WCE facebook nuffies.

Probably the most respected poster here recruitment wise is Bond 007 who thought the draft was fine.

The thought on here is Bond works for the club and may well be one of those seven blokes who are involved in list management at the club.

So of course he thinks the draft was fine.

Yesteeday we drafted for the long term not the short term which is fine. Some people on here get that and agree where others like Godfather are not at all happy.

Thats life people think differently and have different opinions.

Hey BOND 007, always appreciate your insight. With the main draft out of the way now, are you able to give us any hints as to what the plan will be going into the rookie draft? Any particular areas of the ground that you feel that we should look to address further?

Midfield predominantly - some young some more mature

When was the last time the list managers made a good rookie list decision in the last 5 years? Watson?

The thought on here is Bond works for the club and may well be one of those seven blokes who are involved in list management at the club.

So of course he thinks the draft was fine.

Yesteeday we drafted for the long term not the short term which is fine. Some people on here get that and agree where others like Godfather are not at all happy.

Thats life people think differently and have different opinions.

No problem with people having a different opinion.

But some opinions are worth more then others due to greater experience in the subject matter and/or access to more detailed information.

My personal opinion is I can see what the recruiters were aiming for. No point taking B tier mids when potential A tier KPPs were available.

a few questions mate, 1. Is there any talk of Jacko going through midfield? 2. where does the club see Parto long term? more of a HF / mid? And 3. what has the club convinced Allen will make it as a mid? More importantly what type of mid?

1) yes
2) flanker with midfield time
3) reads play very well & sees things happening early. Good beneath his knees. Reasonable pace - more inside but able to deliver ball

I thought Rawlings was the main guy now though. Shame if they’re not backing in his judgement.

Can't imagine Rawlings having the power to overrule the head recruiter.

Not aimed at you specifically CC but this OBrien v Rawlings narrative is already out of control

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RD wish list (any 3):

Bailey Banfield (we should've taken this guy with our last pick instead of passing)
Gordon Narrier
Cody Ninyette
Adam Sambono
Jackson Edwards
Nathan Krueger
Patrick Farrant
I like seeing someone else on the farrant train!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Bond, appreciate your input.

My concern with how we drafted is that it doesn't go a long way to fixing our midfield while Kennedy and nic nat are still around. Realistically the mids we got are Ainsworth who is solid without being A grade, petruccelle who is probably a few years away from being an effective player and brayshaw. Meanwhile teams like geelong with A grade midfields already, loaded up on midfield talent despite having worse picks. It's all great grabbing talls but what happens in 2018 if some more fantastic KPPs fall to our picks? I personally would have "reached" for
Higgins, Z Bailey or L Fogarty with 13 and gone for T Kelly with 21. I also think somebody like J Worpel would have been great at 38 as although he is not as well rounded as some he's tough and ready to go. I get that my draft wouldn't look as flash as yours but I think it would have given us a better chance to win a premiership with our current team. This strategy feels like we will just tread water. I'm clearly an amateur thinker so would love to hear why my thought process is incorrect. Perhaps the rookie draft will address a few more needs?

I understand your comments

The view is that Kennedy should remain effective for 3-4 years & Naitanui another 2 on top of that. A lot can happen in that time. It is also rare to have any players "make it" in the 1st 2-3 years. I remember chatting to Luke Shuey who felt he didnt really find his feet till he was basically 23-24. So to request 2018 draftees to impact in 2-3 years is probably being optimistic especially if you are picking outside of top 3-4.
Supporters have to realize mid teen picks are the most difficult - high enough to be important but really subjective.

The landscape is changing quickly & its a matter of having your game plan & sticking with it.

We have 3 rookie spots right?

Given the list as it is, one is almost certainly on a developing ruck surely. The other two you would think on mids that could potentially play next year if needed.

Wouldn't be against picking guys like Schloithe and Grigg in the rookie draft with perhaps Olango as a project ruckman. Both Schloithe and Grigg could be decent midfield options off the rookie list if needed, depth is what we need after all.

probably a bit early for this conversation since the draft backlash is still in full swing, but eventually the conversation has to be about our player development rather than drafting success. i'm not just talking about the rookies - clearly there's talent there - but the continued development from within (sheed, duggan, cole, parto, lamb... hell, throw in redden.)

moving on from a few rusted-on players (fine club servants, mostly) will surely give us a good look at what we actually have, specifically in the midfield group. i'll feel comfortable evaluating this draft in a couple of years time IF we can get a look at them in the top league in that time.

the club obviously has it's own ideas about the current group and they can't just click their fingers to add a dangerfield or dusty to the list. but i feel like they do need to take a hard look at what they're doing to get the best out of the cattle we've actually brought in over the past few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back