(Opinion) Is Darrel Baldock the worst Australian football hall of fame "legend" of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

11 senior what? And which are your favourite games of his? And the particular highlights?

So in your immature mind you think footy started only when your mob started winning
His record speaks for itself and NO ONE Can dispute it
Pity you don't follow football
But then most hawthorn supporters struggle

11 senior what? And which are your favourite games of his? And the particular highlights?

Well to assist you better football was played in the 30s hence why the MAYBLOOMS were a embarrassment
LEETERS RECORD
1925 AT 15 stood up to jock mchale and played reserves winning flag BOG every week
1926 premiership
1927 premiership
1928 premiership
1929 premiership
1930 moves to Tasmania playing coach premiership
1931. Tasmania premiership
1935 premiership VFL
1936 premiership VFL
1937 runners up vfl
1938 runners up VFL
1939 runners up vfl
BROWNLOW 1929
3 best and fairests
Captain
JACK DYER
"LEETER was everything I admirred in a footballer
He was and is the most outstanding junior footballer in my time , he was a colossus, a fierce competitor , superb protector and a thumping ruckman
He dominated at CHB , chf and ruck all in the quality level of football yet to be repeated 1927 / 1936"
Jack dyer 1996
Players to feature at that time
Reynolds legend, bunton legend, Nash, Pratt, Sydney Coventry, dyer , hickey, Rudolph, valance ,h collier a collier, Murdoch, Sheehan, one il warne smith , geddes
And played like a man not a squirrel gripper

Would Roy Cazaly be in the hall of Fame if Mike Brady had not written a song called "Up There Cazaly" which became the biggest-selling single in Australian history?

I'd heard about him and I'd sung "Up There Cazaly" at VFL Grand Finals in the 80's and 90's, but I NEVER heard anyone mention him as a football legend prior to his induction. The legend was really more about his teammate saying "Up There Cazaly" before every ruck contest and how this became a WW2 battle cry among Aussie troops.

Cool story...

I'm sure he was a good player, but was he really a legendary footballer or was it simply a pre-internet viral meme which added to his legend?

Put it this way: when they selected the AFL Team of the Century in 1996, all the other AFL legends had their names put forward as "possibles", including Darrel Baldock, but I didn't see anyone picking Roy Cazaly in their teams

Would Roy Cazaly be in the hall of Fame if Mike Brady had not written a song called "Up There Cazaly" which became the biggest-selling single in Australian history?

I'd heard about him and I'd sung "Up There Cazaly" at VFL Grand Finals in the 80's and 90's, but I NEVER heard anyone mention him as a football legend prior to his induction. The legend was really more about his teammate saying "Up There Cazaly" before every ruck contest and how this became a WW2 battle cry among Aussie troops.

Cool story...

I'm sure he was a good player, but was he really a legendary footballer or was it simply a pre-internet viral meme which added to his legend?

Put it this way: when they selected the AFL Team of the Century in 1996, all the other AFL legends had their names put forward as "possibles", including Darrel Baldock, but I didn't see anyone picking Roy Cazaly in their teams
Cazaly spent the vast majority of his career in crap teams. Only played in a couple of winning finals matches from what I am aware. Had a career of impressive longevity for the time managed only one best and fairest and that was in a team that finished last. Played many games for Victoria but that seems to be his most impressive individual on field accomplishment.

How many of his games did you see?

KINGAROY
Quote from jack dyer in 1996
And that's after watching 70 years of vfl and interstate footy
Better judge than you
Try doing some research then you may obtain a smarter arse
But as you've shown pretty impossible with you
Love your avatar , another piss take yeah
You're a great contributor

Last edited:
KINGAROY
Quote from jack dyer in 1996
And that's after watching 70 years of vfl and interstate footy
Better judge than you
Try doing some research then you may obtain a smarter arse
But as you've shown pretty impossible with you
Love your avatar , another piss take yeah
You're a great contributor

Its just that when you went on and on referring to him by his nickname and were so passionate about how you had to see him to believe him that, well, I assumed you had actually seen him. And werent just going on a rant about someone who played probably 60 years before you were born.

The quote from Dyer I can only find referenced on Big Footy. Where does it actually come from? Did he ever declare any other player to be the greatest he ever saw? They often do - depending on the room. Has anyone other than Dyer declared him to be the greatest ever?

There is a very good reason for only allowing contemporaries in the "greatest" type lists. Because people are alive who actually saw them. And there is plenty of corroborating evidence.

For example, the OP had a go at Baldock. I checked with my father who said he was an incredible player. No matter the weather or ground conditions he was faultless with the ball.

BTW: Mike Sheehan reckons Collier is #48. 5 spots behind Michael Tuck.

Its just that when you went on and on referring to him by his nickname and were so passionate about how you had to see him to believe him that, well, I assumed you had actually seen him. And werent just going on a rant about someone who played probably 60 years before you were born.

The quote from Dyer I can only find referenced on Big Footy. Where does it actually come from? Did he ever declare any other player to be the greatest he ever saw? They often do - depending on the room. Has anyone other than Dyer declared him to be the greatest ever?

There is a very good reason for only allowing contemporaries in the "greatest" type lists. Because people are alive who actually saw them. And there is plenty of corroborating evidence.

For example, the OP had a go at Baldock. I checked with my father who said he was an incredible player. No matter the weather or ground conditions he was faultless with the ball.

BTW: Mike Sheehan reckons Collier is #48. 5 spots behind Michael Tuck.

If Sheehan rates him so low , it's gospel
He's no friggin judge in comparison to DYER and you're old man would tell ya
You're old man knows , you ?
Try dyers/ Brian hansens book , best 100 players of the century might learn a few things

If Sheehan rates him so low , it's gospel
He's no friggin judge in comparison to DYER and you're old man would tell ya
You're old man knows , you ?
Try dyers/ Brian hansens book , best 100 players of the century might learn a few things

Okay so Brian Hansen wrote a biography on Dyer and it included a quote on Collier. A convincing argument.

Okay so Brian Hansen wrote a biography on Dyer and it included a quote on Collier. A convincing argument.

No Brian Hansen and jack dyer wrote the book on 100 greatest players
And yes a convincing argument
LEETER colliers record is unsurpassed and never will be
Arguments are childish. His record speaks for itself
My father played against a few blokes and ted whitten based his game on guess who

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Brian Hansen and jack dyer wrote the book on 100 greatest players
And yes a convincing argument
LEETER colliers record is unsurpassed and never will be
Arguments are childish. His record speaks for itself
My father played against a few blokes and ted whitten based his game on guess who

You do realise 4 of the Collingwood flags are tainted because the rules were ludicrous and allowed the Grand Final loser to demand a replay, along with a number of other completely dodgy rules which just so happened to assist Collingwood.

As for an unsurpassed record, exactly which bit?

So in your immature mind you think footy started only when your mob started winning
His record speaks for itself and NO ONE Can dispute it
Pity you don't follow football
But then most hawthorn supporters struggle

No Hawks fans don't struggle. They just don't have as much need to hang onto ancient history as supporters of other clubs do.

I agree. However, since the OP asked who of the Legends the Doc was "better than", I gave my own opinion, subjective as that might be, based on those I have seen. Whether anyone agrees also doesn't matter; as you said, attempting to rank the Legends is pointless, as is having a Legends section in the first place, I believe. While I'm not able to comment on those I haven't seen - except Bunton and Coleman, who my grandfather and father respectively said were the best they'd ever seen ( and I believe them) - there are certainly players there that I wouldn't have classed as legendary over the 58 years I've watched Aussie Rules football.

Fek great snippets and accounts in this thread! Cheers to the ol boys giving their recollection and stories. Great read despite a bit of bickering.

You do realise 4 of the Collingwood flags are tainted because the rules were ludicrous and allowed the Grand Final loser to demand a replay, along with a number of other completely dodgy rules which just so happened to assist Collingwood.

By the age of 21
Brownlow, I reserve flag , 4 senior flags
Got anyone to better that not even any legend member comes close, maybe his brother
Keep posting takes a narrow minded person to ignore history but you're doing well

Bit

Bit like running vfl house or re zoning
Chelsea, mornington peninsula hawthorn zone haha
Ovens and Murray eastern league north ha ha
It's a event now 16 teams have all played g/fs

Tuck won 7 flags and I think he came 2nd in the B and F 5 times - pretty much always to Matthews - who would be top 3 GOAT for pretty much everyone, if not GOAT.
Tucky finished 2nd in the B&F 7 times and was 3rd twice.

Those were strong teams too. Premiers 76, 78, 83; R/up 87; 3rd 77, 82; 5th 90; 6th 81; 7th 79

1976 - 2nd to L.Matthews
1977 - 2nd to L.Matthews MVP
1978 - 3rd to L.Matthews & P.Knights (by 2 votes)
1979 - 2nd to K.Moore (by 2 votes)
1981 - 3rd to T.Wallace & L.Matthews
1982 - 2nd to L.Matthews MVP (by 1 vote)
1983 - 2nd to T.Wallace
1987 - 2nd to J.Platten (Brownlow)
1990 - 2nd to A.Collins

Tuck was 37 years old when chosen for the official 1990 VFL Team Of The Year (now known as the All Australian team)

NRL they decided only players in living memory of the selectors when they started the Immortals in the 1980s.

A common sense idea. Not often found in sports.

Common sense is not often found in anything.

Generally if it is common it is not sense and if it is sense it is not common.

If there was another c in his surname he'd certainly be the most memorable

That seems to be a St Kilda thing, judging by some photos we all saw a few years back.

Also, I'm enjoying this thread, especially the discussions of Laurie Nash. The thread is like a flower fertilised by the s**t that was the OP.

Cazaly spent the vast majority of his career in crap teams. Only played in a couple of winning finals matches from what I am aware. Had a career of impressive longevity for the time managed only one best and fairest and that was in a team that finished last. Played many games for Victoria but that seems to be his most impressive individual on field accomplishment.
Some of what you've said here is extremely misleading at best, and some of it just incorrect! Roy Cazaly had 14 seasons in the VFL (8 St Kilda/6 South Melbourne), but in 7 of them his club either didn't have such an award, or it's just possible they did but the records have been lost. He also didn't play at all in 3 seasons between 1911-1927.

He played only 4 games in each of his first two seasons at St Kilda, but there was no award given for the first 3 seasons of his career (1911-1913). From 1914 onwards St Kilda had a best and fairest award. The club did not participate in the 1916 & 1917 seasons which may well have cost him, and he did win the award in 1918 when it resumed playing. So he won one b&f out of the five he could have won at the club.

Winning the b&f at South Melbourne was even harder for Cazaly, as in his first four seasons there (1921-1924) there was no award. He missed the 1925 season. The AFL's annual guide credits him with winning it in 1926, the first year it was awarded. On Wikipedia they call it a Most Consistent Player Award but the AFL apparently consider that to have been the best and fairest equivalent, and count it as such in the records. He played just one more season (as a 34-year-old) and only managed 13 games (of 18). So basically he won one "b&f" out of the two he could have won at his second club.

https://www.afltables.com/afl/stats/players/R/Roy_Cazaly.html
https://australianfootball.com/clubs/honour_board/st.+kilda/12
https://australianfootball.com/clubs/honour_board/sydney/11

He played in 9 finals, winning 4 and losing 5 of them. St Kilda finished 4th (and played finals) the year he won the b&f there, and South Melbourne came 5th in 1926 (missing finals by percentage).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back