(Opinion) Is Darrel Baldock the worst Australian football hall of fame "legend" of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of what you've said here is extremely misleading at best, and some of it just incorrect! Roy Cazaly had 14 seasons in the VFL (8 St Kilda/6 South Melbourne), but in 7 of them his club either didn't have such an award, or it's just possible they did but the records have been lost. He also didn't play at all in 3 seasons between 1911-1927.

He played only 4 games in each of his first two seasons at St Kilda, but there was no award given for the first 3 seasons of his career (1911-1913). From 1914 onwards St Kilda had a best and fairest award. The club did not participate in the 1916 & 1917 seasons which may well have cost him, and he did win the award in 1918 when it resumed playing. So he won one b&f out of the five he could have won at the club.

Winning the b&f at South Melbourne was even harder for Cazaly, as in his first four seasons there (1921-1924) there was no award. He missed the 1925 season. The AFL's annual guide credits him with winning it in 1926, the first year it was awarded. On Wikipedia they call it a Most Consistent Player Award but the AFL apparently consider that to have been the best and fairest equivalent, and count it as such in the records. He played just one more season (as a 34-year-old) and only managed 13 games (of 18). So basically he won one "b&f" out of the two he could have won at his second club.

https://www.afltables.com/afl/stats/players/R/Roy_Cazaly.html
https://australianfootball.com/clubs/honour_board/st.+kilda/12
https://australianfootball.com/clubs/honour_board/sydney/11

He played in 9 finals, winning 4 and losing 5 of them. St Kilda finished 4th (and played finals) the year he won the b&f there, and South Melbourne came 5th in 1926 (missing finals by percentage).
It seems I mixed up the season of his best and fairest and that when he was captain in 1920 and they finished bottom of the ladder with 2 wins.

He is a legend but the worst one of all time. There are probably more than 50 players that played in the last fifteen years that are more worthy of a spot based on their football career.

You are so ******* stupid buddy. Like holy s**t you are either the thickest campaigner posting on the main board or you're a ******* awful troll

You are so ******* stupid buddy. Like holy s**t you are either the thickest campaigner posting on the main board or you're a ******* awful troll
Watch your language. You are the worst complainer of all time. Just sit back and enjoy the glorious discussion like everyone else.

Also if Cazaly is not the worst who is? Everyone likes to snipe but are too gutless to throw their alternative opinion in for scrutiny.

Watch your language. You are the worst complainer of all time. Just sit back and enjoy the glorious discussion like everyone else.

Also if Cazaly is not the worst who is? Everyone likes to snipe but are too gutless to throw their alternative opinion in for scrutiny.

So then did you read the list I posted. If he's the worst legend in the hall of fame then what does that say about Peter Hudson, Royce Hart & Ian Stewart who are all rated below Baldock as the greatest Tasmanian footballers of all time. All of them were inducted as legends and they're amongst the greatest of their generation

Face it, you're either the dumbest campaigner here or you're a troll

It seems I mixed up the season of his best and fairest and that when he was captain in 1920 and they finished bottom of the ladder with 2 wins.

He is a legend but the worst one of all time. There are probably more than 50 players that played in the last fifteen years that are more worthy of a spot based on their football career.
I thought you had decided Baldock was the "worst Legend" of all time!! The very idea that people should choose one out of all those absolute greats of the game as the worst of the lot is incredibly rude and disrespectful.

I thought you had decided Baldock was the "worst Legend" of all time!! The very idea that people should choose one out of all those absolute greats of the game as the worst of the lot is incredibly rude and disrespectful.

Because he's a troll or someone that only started watching football when he understood stats

So then did you read the list I posted. If he's the worst legend in the hall of fame then what does that say about Peter Hudson, Royce Hart & Ian Stewart who are all rated below Baldock as the greatest Tasmanian footballers of all time.

Face it, you're either the dumbest campaigner here or you're a troll
Did you not just read the post you quoted of mine asking who was worse than Cazaly? You ended up on a tangent about Baldock (who is now officially madman certified as not the worst but the most overrated).

I asked if he was. After further information it appears Cazaly is. There is always going to be a least attractive Victoria's Secret model.

I asked if he was. After further information it appears Cazaly is. There is always going to be a least attractive Victoria's Secret model.
That's actually very funny, and under normal circumstances I would reward you with a 'like'! Since you're obviously being annoying on purpose I'm withholding it.

This.

Rugby League have their Immortals. It started out as a list made by a magazine but now basically gets run by the NRL. They had 4 players (I think) originally, and only add a new player about once a decade and only when pretty much everyone associated with the sport agrees.

The AFL should have done something similar - with maybe only 1 or 2 players per decade considered, and then only adding 1 or 2 players per decade from now on. But that wouldnt have made for a good annual TV event.

"And the Legend for 2018 is... well, no-one. We didnt think anyone deserved to be added this year. Thanks for watching !"
That’s exactly what TV companies want. A bit like the flagged pieces on Footy shows being at the end so you watch all the ads first. They’ll manage to keep everyone on edge for 10 years “will the immortal for the decade be revealed? - find out after this short ad break”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise 4 of the Collingwood flags are tainted because the rules were ludicrous and allowed the Grand Final loser to demand a replay, along with a number of other completely dodgy rules which just so happened to assist Collingwood.

As for an unsurpassed record, exactly which bit?
I'm all for stripping 4 flags off Collingwood, but you play to the rules of the league at the time. Maybe they were just smart enough to take advantage of that loophole.

I'm old enough to have seen Doc play - take your data, digitise it, and deposit it appropriately.

https://australianfootball.com/players/player/darrel+baldock/9431

Forever a legend.
Yep I'm not old enough to have seen him play live but have watched plenty of footage. He looked like he had this amazing low centre of gravity and incredible strength and balance. Most of the old legends of the game look a bit awkward with their skills but he is just amazing to watch.

Absolute freak.

Good way to provoke a decent threat though!

lol, like it's an exact Science.

"the worst".

You can say "the tallest", "the shortest", "the fattest" etc.

You cannot measure "the worst" and you are clearly having a bit of a lazy troll.

lol, like it's an exact Science.

"the worst".

You can say "the tallest", "the shortest", "the fattest" etc.

You cannot measure "the worst" and you are clearly having a bit of a lazy troll.
That is nice and all. But... Would you like to nominate somebody else from the legends than Cazaly to be the worst? If not you are simply fence sitting and sniping from the sideline.

when greats of the game are asked who was the best they've ever seen, doc's name comes up regularly. that's good enough for me

Best player I ever saw out of Tasmania was Peter Hudson. Ridiculously talented.
He was in the backend of his career when I was a kid and can remember him absolutely destroying teams week after week.
He certainly destroyed us, kicked 57 goals in four games against us in 1979.
Head and shoulders above anyone else.
Never saw Baldock play as he left Tasmanian football in 1974 to become a parliamentarian and never saw Royce Hart play either so I can't comment on them.
Ian Stewart came from my club and went to the VFL and won three Brownlows but was before my time, he was supposed to present me with my Life Membership last year only that I was away at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back