Review Dees v Tigers = the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

You have a relatively good side.
On paper, you should win the next four matches, at least three.
Ess, St Kilda, Suns, Carlton.
Most of those teams are not worthy to make the eight.
You have to defeat them now.

We have no spread. Tigers killed us there.

I noticed the lack of run and carry when I attended the North game.

Gave up last night and watched 'The Sopranos'. Was infinitely more enjoyable than sitting through that crap.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It took so much effort for us to score but tigers scored with ease ! I was impressed with the backline ! Happy with lever now !

But our fumbles cost us again where tigers were much cleaner ! We had a red hot crack for 3 quarters !

Quite impressed with the tigers outfit though !

Thought Gawn was brilliant ! But we can’t capitalise on his taps . Does this mean rucks taps are inneffective ?

Well, we seem to win hit outs by a fair margin yet still lose clearances most weeks. How much of that is Gawn not managing to tap to advantage or the fact Clarence is the only mid that seems to be able to consistently win clearances, I don't know. Most teams can setup safe in the knowledge their ruck is only going to get a hand to it 25% of the time, so would be a combination of a few factors.

When you look at todays best 22, you can break it down into pretty clear groups.

Players who show up and play well 80%+, and players who show up and play well 40-50% of the time.

80+: Jetta, McDonald, Hibberd, Jones, Petracca, Hogan, Gawn, Tyson, Oliver, Garlett*
40-50: Stretch, Harmes, ANB, Weideman, Kent, Melksham, Salem, Vince, Wagner
Inbetween: Brayshaw, Hunt, Lever

I've left Gus alone because of his concussion history. You can see how tentative he is and I don't think it has anything to do with his talent or courage. That doubt is affecting his disposal, which hurts. Hunt played 40 beautiful games in a row, but has had a tough time this year in our new defence. I'd keep him for next week and rely on him to improve, he had a few blistering runs early but tapered off. Lever is too early to judge, his form at the Crows was excellent and he took a big step forward tonight.

To have nine players out of 22 that can't be relied on to bring their best effort and football most weeks is an indictment. Melksham is a prime example. 4 weeks of not very much, into a 4 goal game. Kent had two 3 goal games and then barely got a touch before doing his hammy. ANB runs hard but delivers very little a lot of the time. Harmes is the definition of mediocrity, he reminds me of one of those guys that gets a game at St Kilda despite nobody knowing who they are (see Jimmy Webster, Darren Minchington etc). Stretch was a fish out of water today, he is watching what once looked a promising career slip by. Salem has been good once, okay twice and bad twice this year. Its season five: sort it out. Vince is an old man who makes bad decisions and has lost his kicking skills. Wagner is Wagner: tries hard but too many brain fades for a limited player. Weideman is young, and I thought he was ok today, but he's not offered much historically.

Players who can kick: Jetta, Hibberd, Jones, Petracca, Hogan, Oliver, Garlett, Salem, Vince

By my count, that's nine out of 22 guys that you're confident of hitting a target 80% of the time with ball in hand. How can a side go anywhere with so many limited role players, and so few skilled players?

Trading Jack Watts was a mistake. I'm not saying he'd be anything other than the inconsistent player we watched for so long, but when the ball was in his hands in our attacking half, it would more often than not lead to a goal. When the ball was in his hands in the 50, he couldn't wrestle for s**t but could lead well enough; it was soaring back over the umpires hat. We have kicked 14 goals in two weeks of footy. By contrast, sides that we were meant to be better than:

North have 34
Collingwood has 32
Essendon has 28
Freo have 23
GC has 20
Dogs have 19

Carlton at 14 and Brisbane at 12 are the two sides in our stratosphere.

For Goodwin to front the media and say that he was impressed by the effort is an insult to the collective intelligence of our supporter base. I don't think he really has much control over the playing group, so I doubt a spray or a pump up would work, but hopefully something changes because I despair for the direction he is taking us in. Unskilled role players all over the ground who apply pressure and then release it by creating stupid turnovers every five minutes. Sick of it.
Would have included Melksham as a good kick, but otherwise, you make a lot of good points.

Whatever about the game plan, our skill are just deplorable, particularly in the wet.

There is no shortage of culprits, but Hunt in particular needs to drastically improve his kicking. For all his dash and flair, there's not much gained from breaking the lines only to bomb it straight to the opposition.

It was obvious last year that his disposal was something that needed to improve, yet I don't see any evidence that it was a focus in the off season.

He can be a game changer for us if he can tidy that up.

Dom Tyson gets sick or injured every year and it takes him way too long to get back to having an impact at AFL level. Last night was a good example, did little.

I reckon we'll win the next 2 at Etihad then its a 50/50 game at the gabba vs suns, then lose again when we get back to the G vs the blues.

Harmes has achieved NOTHING. He's a nothing footballer. Drop or delist.

Stretchs nervous fumbles were embarrassing. I don't want to see him play for us again.

Goody is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We dominated the first quarter and should have been four or five goals up if we had a forward set up that could convert inside 50s to anything productive. This super aggressive press, where we'll sometimes have 14 players in our own forward 50, constantly hampers our scoring and even worse costs us soft goals out the back when it gets beaten. We must concede the most goals from the square out of any team in the league.

I thought that, at least until half way through the last quarter, we actually had quite a few players who as individuals played decent games. Structurally though we were a mess; unfortunately effort is not enough to win games against good teams.

Was hoping PitchBlease would have posted by now just so i can see his "MFC Dumpster Fire" avatar and chuckle at my own misfortune.

If we can't laugh at ourselves what can we do? :'(

I dont intend to be patronising , I reckon many fans are being pretty tough on your side, I thought for fair amounts of the game melb gave us a lot of stick , applying finals like pressure that we had to work pretty hard to get through, harder than we ve experienced in any other win to date this year. The only fault was you weren’t able to really cash in during the dominant periods apart from a 3G flurry. I’m pretty sure you’ll win your fair share of games and be up for a top8 spot

I dont intend to be patronising , I reckon many fans are being pretty tough on your side, I thought for fair amounts of the game melb gave us a lot of stick , applying finals like pressure that we had to work pretty hard to get through, harder than we ve experienced in any other win to date this year. The only fault was you weren’t able to really cash in during the dominant periods apart from a 3G flurry. I’m pretty sure you’ll win your fair share of games and be up for a top8 spot
Mate, that one game was just a snapshot of wider issues of structure and a poor game plan. When you watch this mob every week you get a fair idea of where we are at, and it ain't pretty. We have the talent to absolutely smash Richmond and most other teams, but the bus driver is asleep at the wheel

Sorry for the interruption. I'm reading a lot of negative critiques of Weideman. Seriously too early to be judging a young key forward. Harry McKay has kicked 7 in 3 games but the 4 he kicked were a bit fortunate. Two of them were from turnovers where he was sitting out back by himself and the other two were so so free kicks. Don't get me wrong I think he is a talent but like Weideman he has so much development left.

Sure Curnow would have been a better pick in hindsight but you can't blame the recruiters for being reluctant after the drink driving

We have the talent to absolutely smash Richmond and most other

You would have to say that's a bit optimistic.

Was one of the hottest games this year - we brought great effort and pressure for 3 and a tiny bit quarters... then they kicked two quickly in the last, we fell away and they started an avalanche.

It wasnt terrible - we're really fumbly, and have been ever since Brisbane second half. And the forward half method is rubbish. That feeds to the quick transitions into our back half and some relatively easy goals dont the other end. Would be great to sort that out.

I'm not freaking out over this. Last week was disappointing, but this week was probably the result expected. Next week is the interesting one.

I said two weeks out from this to people who thought we were a chance, i said we probably where but Richmond are a scary side to play at the moment. Richmond is a side that plays with total confidence, and they are good enough to play in the GF again.

Goodwin's comments i mostly agree with, for two and half quarters i reckon we played with real intent. low skills yes, but intent enough to differ from last week. What was disappointing was the throwing the towel in when they matched us in the last and then we let it blow out. No doubt Goody will highlight this, because even with game lost, inexcusable to let it go.

Right now our skills aren't overly high, although not to take away from Richmond's pressure, it was outstanding. It reminds me of round 1 last year, out worst is quarter 1 blasting it long, our best is lowering out eyes and hitting targets.

I'm not losing the faith though, frustrated sure, annoyed yes. But i'm not calling for Goodwin's sacking. Sacking Goodwin in year two, even if we do miss finals would send the club back to square 1, and ruin the stability we've worked hard under the Roo's and PJ's plan to build

Are you serious? We’ve seen 5 weeks of this s**t. The loss to Hawthorn was coming and there was no avoiding it. We barely beat Brisbane and played patchy football against Geelong and North. The last two weeks have put us where we belong, about 14th or so.

Goodwin just doesn’t seem to be able to create a functioning game plan. We only beat Brisbane and North. These losses seem to have a cumulative effect, it wouldn’t surprise me at the slightest hint of pressure from our opposition over the next month if we just drop the ball.
Yes I’m serious. I saw a lot last night that suggests to me that we are getting our structures right, particularly in defence and how we set up behind the ball. I agree with you these things haven’t been right all season, but I think last night was a step in the right direction, and suggest to me the coaching staff have learned something in how to get our back 6 functioning as a unit again. Lever, Hibberd, Omac and Jetta all played as well or better than they have all year, and much closer to their potential. That’s encouraging.

So no, I don’t have my pitchfork out for Goodwin yet, as evidence suggests to me that our players are being coached well enough that issues with our set up have been addressed and improved in the last week. So I don’t see a need to be writing Goodwin off as a coach just yet. He could yet prove to have what it takes to be our next premiership coach, or he might not. But sitting 2-3, 5 rounds into his second season is way to early to be making a call on his coaching career either way. He’s only just begun and he must be afforded more time.

Was hoping PitchBlease would have posted by now just so i can see his "MFC Dumpster Fire" avatar and chuckle at my own misfortune.

If we can't laugh at ourselves what can we do? :'(
My apologies.
Laughter is all that's left. I'm mostly past being angry more than occasionally and I more often just laugh hysterically when everyone else around me is screaming or crying. Not sure the people around my seat quite appreciate it tbh

The only solution to our problems as a losing cultured club is to get Al Clarkson! Roos was the only one who could right the wrongs and steer us back on course, but in a matter of 28 rounds, we look completely lost at sea again on and off the field. Most experts and football fans can bloody see we have a good list! But we are playing with zero confidence. It's not the players, the coaches are causing confusion and NFI! Al Clarkson could do wonders with this list! Throw everything we have at him or waste yet another generation of players. Zero confidence in Goodwin and his coaching cronies! WTF was Pederson doing out of this side tonight??? WTF was Brayshaw and Tyson out of Round 1? It cost us that game! Why is Harmes still in the side? Why bring Stretch back when he done f*** all at VFL this season? Nothing he does makes sense! Selection, game day, camps etc etc. List just goes on and on! He has a month to prove he can coach, or why waste anymore time with this guy? Throw a truckload of cash at Clarkson and a job at the club for eternity! He's the only man who can get us out of this 60 year losing culture! Clarkson or bust tbh!

I have been thinking the same thing recently. Don’t really like the guy but I reckon he is the only one who could do it. Plus he played for us. Need to make a move on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back