Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Franklin has also played in an era where defender cop it more than ever resulting in more shots on goal such as the following.

1. No arm chops are allowed
2. No hands are allowed to rest on a players back
3. No side bumping (ala Hurn)
4. No arms across the shoulder to spoil
5. No running a player under the ball
6. No front on contact
7. No love affair for north like Sydney get from Gill and the umpires.

All in all I'd say if you wash it out, add those factors in and scrub it down in a super computer the goal tally would be as follows.

Carey playing in today's era: 1250 goals
Franklin playing in Carey's era: 450 goals

Carey brownlow votes: 157
Franklin brownlow votes: 108

You cannot touch franklin at all.
A side brush of his arm from Hurn is all it took for pussy Franklin to flop and get a free and goal.

* modern footy,

Defenders aren’t allowed to punch the forwards in the back of the head

Buddy zoomed past him a while ago on longevity alone

Game what 282 last night could of had 7 if he kicked straight, pretty good game, where was the king? Off doing lines in Miami?

I wouldn't bring up drugs and Franklin in the same discussion if I were you.

Some names fell off the back of a truck while back.

...................where was the king? Off doing lines in Miami?

This is right up there with the very best self inflicted gunshot wounds to the feet that I have seen in all my years of bigfootying.

Bravo! Take a bow.

A better comparison to Franklin would be Matthew Richardson

With the exception that Richardson was a very good mark. He just couldn't kick.

As for Lance, he's in a class of his own as I can't ever recall a 199cm half forward flanker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s more just an example of how Carey was actually quite exceptional with the ground ball.

Yeah he was. i saw at least 15 of his games, including a 10 goal haul against the Bombers. We are comparing freaks.

But i still think Buddy is greater playing off his feet, beating opponents off his feet, or out running them in a contest.

Carey has the aerial dominance over Buddy, even when Carey couldn't raise both arms.

Yeah, and you are another clueless millennial internet know all, that stinks up this place with ignorant comments.

I put up evidence to highlight that your stupid comment was in fact............well.........stupid.

Tell me something I don't know.

Listen to me son, and listen closely: The only facets Franklin has over Carey are in pace (just) and as a left foot kick for distance .

Carey has Franklin beaten in every other category. Every one of them.

If you make ignorant comments you deserve to be shown up, and your attempt to reverse emotional engineer from that point onward only serves to further highlight your immaturity and ignorance.

Listen to people that actually know better and you might grow to be a wise person one day.

If you are going to call someone a millennial twice... and use it for argument... perhaps don't presume... and if you think it is so important then perhaps check for evidence in the account page. My age is listed.

And Snake, you go around liking every post that praises Carey, and attacking the poster who praises Buddy.... you always play the man not the argument.

SMH at the bolded comment. So you never actually watched Carey play, now I get it.

Yep, Carey is widely regarded as the greatest AFL footballer in the history of the game because he was mean. Time to stop posting.

So you think Carey was great just because he was mean? I don't....

Do you read into posts what you want to? if so, time for you to stop posting (now i know how much of a wank it feels to type this)

Last edited:

Game what 282 last night could of had 7 if he kicked straight, pretty good game, where was the king? Off doing lines in Miami?
Could have kicked 7 straight.... But didn't. Carey would have kicked 7. Close thread.

Could have kicked 7 straight.... But didn't. Carey would have kicked 7. Close thread.

No at age 31 Carey had a year off after shagging his vice captains missus, so he wouldn’t of kicked s**t all, he was basically done

Buddy had basically done more when he finished at hawthorn let’s be honest. Carey played in a tailored game style high scoring error and averaged less goals a game

No shame to be passed by Bud, From 93-2000 Carey had 7 great years well done

Buddy has had 11 great years and counting

No at age 31 Carey had a year off after shagging his vice captains missus, so he wouldn’t of kicked s**t all, he was basically done

Buddy had basically done more when he finished at hawthorn let’s be honest. Carey played in a tailored game style high scoring error and averaged less goals a game

No shame to be passed by Bud, From 93-2000 Carey had 7 great years well done

Buddy has had 11 great years and counting
Jump on youtube son and watch some of Careys games first.

This is right up there with the very best self inflicted gunshot wounds to the feet that I have seen in all my years of bigfootying.

Bravo! Take a bow.

Another trophy awarded by Snake....... it gets tiring that you fall back on attacking posters that disagree with you... but you keep awarding them worst this and worst that.... zzzzzzz

Another trophy awarded by Snake....... it gets tiring that you fall back on attacking posters that disagree with you... but you keep awarding them worst this and worst that.... zzzzzzz

Stop squealing and playing the victim because you were shown up for being ignorant.

It's so...........................millennial.

But i still think Buddy is greater playing off his feet, beating opponents off his feet, or out running them in a contest.

Carey was as good below his knees as Buddy, if not better. Out running Carey I agree with, that’s where Buddy has the advantage and also probably in agility; despite Carey being very agile for his build, Buddy is a freak. But it’s here that I think of Gary Ablett - crazy burst of speed, very powerful player, more freakish in skillset than either Buddy or Carey and more goals than both and yet still, most rate Carey better than him.

Back