Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s still not ready, his decision making will come but it’s not there at the moment.

Him and Murray have seemingly regressed a bit since the opening 6-7 rounds where they genuinely played very well.

I think there’s a direct correlation to having so many injuries and them not being afforded a level of protection of having wiser and better players around them to cover their mistakes.

I’ll be patient with both brown and Murray (even though his kicking can be terrible at times) because both will have something to offer. People might want to temper their expectations till they’ve had the 40-50 games in Buckley’s system.

It just amazes me how quickly players are written off. Brown did a couple of things that were instinctive and good yesterday. Did he play great? no, but he showed signs that it will come. He plays starvation corner. he doesnt have any midfield time at all so he just doesn't get the opportunities at the moment. He will play 150 to 200 good games. you wait and see

It just amazes me how quickly players are written off. Brown did a couple of things that were instinctive and good yesterday. Did he play great? no, but he showed signs that it will come. He plays starvation corner. he doesnt have any midfield time at all so he just doesn't get the opportunities at the moment. He will play 150 to 200 good games. you wait and see
I agree.
We tend to be too judgmental on players that have only just started their careers.
Murray I thought was putrid yesterday and not much better last week, I won't write him off though. Still very early days.
It's cool to criticise but statements like "will never make it" are a bit OTT in my view.

I agree.
We tend to be too judgmental on players that have only just started their careers.
Murray I thought was putrid yesterday and not much better last week, I won't write him off though. Still very early days.
It's cool to criticise but statements like "will never make it" are a bit OTT in my view.
Totally correct. Although I was right in naming Kinnear as never making it.:D

With young players I look for grit, some smart things they do, football nous and time. After 30 or more games, I look at them more critically.

Callum Brown has played 12 senior games. Someone will correct me here, I don't think he has played more than 4 games in a row.
I wouldn't image it would be easy to come in to a side and be expected to make the correct decision with every possession. Win games off your boot and dominate every game you play.

Some players need time, Some players can have an impact and look like they belong after a handful of games. Give the kid a break. Give him a few more games before we put a line through his senior career.

Last edited:
I genuinely rate Brown, he has something that not all players have, an understanding of where he is in the scheme of things.

Earlier in the year, there were a number of significant possessions where he had his head over the ball and was instinctive on getting it out, either to a running player or in the direction one of our players were running into.

He'll be a very important member of our side in the coming years, give him until he is 23-24 before we strike a line through him. He's got a lot more to give than some of our other recent recruits!

I have not seen anything to inspire confidence he'll be a top end player buit I've not seen anything to say he won't be a solid player. Classic wait and see for mine. He needs games. Some players clearly have "it" and some clearly lack footy nouse or a weapon. Brown is a wait and see IMO.

He's a classic ball hunter like Tay Adams. Unfortunately he's being forced to play as a small forward atm but when he gets his go in the guts you'll see a different player. Very young, trying to learn new roles, he'll be fine.
I think that he is also compared to Daicos whom are different players. Daicos for his height can actually kick it a solid 50m. and seems a lot more composed with ball in hand then Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can see the kid has potential. I'm very excited to see what he and Daicos offer when they've got 50+ games under their belts.

In order for that to happen he somehow needs to discover the ability to kick the ball reliably with penetration more than 30-35m.

He's not bad in and under but his offensive toolkit is a little lacking at the moment and that needs to improve markedly if he is to have a longer career at AFL level.

I agree.

Yeah, this board is too black nd white. And not in a good way. The inability of some to understand that things are complex and a balanced approach is needed is astounding. Brown is young and inexperienced. He’s getting games before his time. We can’t make a judgement for another year or two.

Yeah, this board is too black nd white. And not in a good way. The inability of some to understand that things are complex and a balanced approach is needed is astounding. Brown is young and inexperienced. He’s getting games before his time. We can’t make a judgement for another year or two.
Some people also do not consider the dynamics of the team. We don’t need every player getting 30 touches. Brown certainly made some errors on the weekend but has shown he can contribute.

If we stopped playing youngsters on the basis of them making errors, then we'd be stuffed.

I know thats an over simlification of what is being argued about Brown, but we need patience and lots of it when developing kids. That's why there is a team of people at the club (all clubs) devoted to 'player development'. Sometimes the learning and improvement is slow and incremental, and sometimes it goes through the roof. But the basics have to be there as Maggie5 points out. She is a student of identifying the good traits in the kids.

Great to finally see some sense in selection over the weekend with Brown DROPPED

Our record this year -

With C.Brown playing: 3-5 (37.5%)
Without C.Brown playing: 10-2 (83.3%)

Hard to win with 21 AFL standard contributors in our line-up to start off the game (before any injuries incurred)!

Keep developing in the 2's buddy...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back