Toast Welcome Matthew Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

42. MATTHEW PARKER
Forward, 187cm, 80kg, South Fremantle

Buckenara says: Parker is a very exciting medium-sized forward with x-factor and has AFL qualities with his speed and ability to kick goals. He’s turned his career around after finding inspiration in fellow draft hopeful Marlion Pickett and Geelong star Tim Kelly to not give up on his AFL dream and that has translated into good form for South Fremantle, where he booted 27 goals from 20 games this year. He’s a talent but he will require a club to invest in his life and put in place support mechanisms to assist him in his transition into AFL life. On pure talent alone, he has the ability to become a very exciting AFL player but he will need to grab the opportunity and take ownership of what’s in front of him if he is picked up. I believe there will be some clubs willing to back in their culture and environment to get the best out of him.

Plays like: A taller Liam Ryan (West Coast)

Apologies if someone else has posted this. Just reading Buckenara's Top 50 before the second round of the draft. Interesting he had Bytel at 29 and Parker at 42. I know Bucky cops some stick about his comments, but good to see that he liked Parker before he got drafted. Didn't seem to be on many people's radar. Parker we must hope settles and gets the best out of himself. Could be an absolute gun. Over to the club!

He also had wilkie at 43 and hind at 50!

The more footage I see on Parker, the more I wonder why he wasn’t drafted earlier. Physical attribute appear excellent and should only improve once in a full-time AFL environment; likewise, his skills, albeit they’re not as big a standout IMO. I’m guessing that other clubs may not have as much confidence in his rapid progression from amateurs to the WAFL to the AFL continuing at the same rate (or at all)? The only other reason I can think of would be questions around his character; he’s alluded to some issues in his past, but genuinely seems to have that completely behind him based on all interviews post-draft (so can only assume he interviewed just as well with teams pre-draft, hence why I can’t see this being a reason).

King, Bytel, and Parker could all turn out to be players of a much higher quality than what their draft selections suggest (even considering King being taken at 4). Parker, in particular, could be a selection similar to Steven; taking a player who has shown promise a year earlier than perhaps they “deserve” in the hope that you’ve secured them at a discount.

earlier in the draft or earlier in previous drafts? he only played a dozen games of senior WAFL footy last year so didnt have the form. earlier in this draft, i would say because clubs are conservative in drafting state league talent. they want to see more than one season of consistent footy.

i agree with you though, they have to start taking more of a punt on these guys. i really rate players who perform at state league level compared to those playing TAC Cup.

parker wouldnt have been my pick of the WAFL talent but i'm happy with the strategy and glad we took a punt now and not 1-3 years later.

A taller Liam Ryan? Giddy up! A penny for your thoughts, StCicatriz? I really hope we stick by this young fella. He may very well slip up here and there but if we stand by him and make him feel loved and secure I hope we could very well have an excitement machine on our hands! Got a strong feeling about this one.

May he never want to go back.

buckenarra's call of a taller liam ryan is a shocker. they're poles apart. what made liam ryan was his ability to play a lot taller than he is. kind of a bit like milne used to do for us. ok pace around the ground. he also used the ball well though and knew where to be. his set shot was hit and miss. parker isn't really a taller liam ryan, he's more a terry milera with a better contested side. he's like of a like a harley bennell albeit a smaller frame, more fwd.

i agree with you about sticking by the guy. AFL clubs tend to churn through players. some clubs are great at providing support to the guys who need it and understand it will be hard for them. some are utterly reckless. i'm not being flippant with the term reckless here either. if people knew what had happened to one player here, they'd be livid. but you know what if a player has a troubled background its easy to just hide behind that and a stereotype than actually being held to account.

recently i've seen two very similar players, with similar backgrounds and issues get drafted here. i knew as soon as one players name was called out by an AFL club his career was pretty much done. where as the other i knew would be fine and if he didnt make it, that was on him. the other i'm still pretty angry and sad about.

i think its very important that you not only have the people inside the club to support the players but you also dont have any "bad apples" inside the playing ground that can rub off on the impressionable draftees.

i dont think we are reckless like one of the clubs i was talking about. i just hope we have the $$$ and resources to be a leader in supporting players we draft. especially those with a young family that have been relocated interstate. otherwise you end up in tim kelly territory. i think in past we had some issues with it all during the ross lyon years, but i think the AFL belted us into better condition on that front. i think we genuinely care about every player we draft and i think we have had a strong emphasis on building them as people not just footballers.

in regards to parkers background and if he's at risk, i'm the wrong poster to ask the question. i wouldnt know. he's not from the WAFL club i follow. i'm just concerned that we might lump too much pressure on him given he's gone from ammos to AFL inside two seasons. plus he has a young family and he's relocating interstate.

Last edited:
triggering bro can you explain how you do the outline,? i tried and it doesn't work. probably doing something wrong.

https://outline.com/then paste the website immediately after

When pasting the website make sure to delete the paywall part of the URL. So paste the website beginning from ‘https’.

Example

Full paywall URL:
https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites/heraldsun/subscribe.html?sourceCode=HSWEB_MRE170_a_GGL&mode=premium&dest=https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/gary-buckenara-reveals-what-really-happens-on-the-weekend-in-the-middle-of-afl-trade-period/news-story/ab12d23bccbd3c92e565faca67c8e8b2?memtype=anonymous

Bolded is the part you copy & paste after the outline URL. Delete the stuff prior.

This is the URL that you use to access the above paywall page:

https://outline.com/https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...23bccbd3c92e565faca67c8e8b2?memtype=anonymous

Last edited:
buckenarra's call of a taller liam ryan is a shocker. they're poles apart. what made liam ryan was his ability to play a lot taller than he is. kind of a bit like milne used to do for us. ok pace around the ground. he also used the ball well though and knew where to be. his set shot was hit and miss. parker isn't really a taller liam ryan, he's more a terry milera with a better contested side. he's like of a like a harley bennell albeit a smaller frame, more fwd.

i agree with you about sticking by the guy. AFL clubs tend to churn through players. some clubs are great at providing support to the guys who need it and understand it will be hard for them. some are utterly reckless. i'm not being flippant with the term reckless here either. if people knew what had happened to one player here, they'd be livid. but you know what if a player has a troubled background its easy to just hide behind that and a stereotype than actually being held to account.

recently i've seen two very similar players, with similar backgrounds and issues get drafted here. i knew as soon as one players name was called out by an AFL club his career was pretty much done. where as the other i knew would be fine and if he didnt make it, that was on him. the other i'm still pretty angry and sad about.

i think its very important that you not only have the people inside the club to support the players but you also dont have any "bad apples" inside the playing ground that can rub off on the impressionable draftees.

i dont think we are reckless like one of the clubs i was talking about. i just hope we have the $$$ and resources to be a leader in supporting players we draft. especially those with a young family that have been relocated interstate. otherwise you end up in tim kelly territory. i think in past we had some issues with it all during the ross lyon years, but i think the AFL belted us into better condition on that front. i think we genuinely care about every player we draft and i think we have had a strong emphasis on building them as people not just footballers.

in regards to parkers background and if he's at risk, i'm the wrong poster to ask the question. i wouldnt know. he's not from the WAFL club i follow. i'm just concerned that we might lump too much pressure on him given he's gone from ammos to AFL inside two seasons. plus he has a young family and he's relocating interstate.
No I just was interested in the comparisons as players, which you've answered well.

As for him being at risk, you never know. Bad things happen to anyone, and if you don't have good support you can easily snap or fall back on bad habits. But I don't think there's much point in worrying about that, just need to hope that the club has good support in place.

The player you're referring to is S. Yarran or H. Bennell?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://outline.com/then paste the website immediately after

When pasting the website make sure to delete the paywall part of the URL. So paste the website beginning from ‘https’.

Example

Full paywall URL:
https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites/heraldsun/subscribe.html?sourceCode=HSWEB_MRE170_a_GGL&mode=premium&dest=https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/gary-buckenara-reveals-what-really-happens-on-the-weekend-in-the-middle-of-afl-trade-period/news-story/ab12d23bccbd3c92e565faca67c8e8b2?memtype=anonymous

Bolded is the part you copy & paste after the outline URL. Delete the stuff prior.

This is the URL that you use to access the above paywall page:

https://outline.com/https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...23bccbd3c92e565faca67c8e8b2?memtype=anonymous
Thanks Bro but either you've posted the wrong thing by mistake or it varies from browser to browser.

I use Firefox and with your example you need to delete the =anonymous right at the end to get Outline to work. So for the above webpage its

https://outline.com/https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/gary-buckenara-reveals-what-really-happens-on-the-weekend-in-the-middle-of-afl-trade-period/news-story/ab12d23bccbd3c92e565faca67c8e8b2?memtype

Last edited:
Thanks Bro but either you've posted the wrong thing by mistake or it varies from browser to browser.

I use Firefox and with your example you need to delete the =anonymous right at the end to get Outline to work. So for the above webpage its

https://outline.com/https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/gary-buckenara-reveals-what-really-happens-on-the-weekend-in-the-middle-of-afl-trade-period/news-story/ab12d23bccbd3c92e565faca67c8e8b2?memtype

Must be different. I use safari & keep the = anonymous without any issue.

No I just was interested in the comparisons as players, which you've answered well.

As for him being at risk, you never know. Bad things happen to anyone, and if you don't have good support you can easily snap or fall back on bad habits. But I don't think there's much point in worrying about that, just need to hope that the club has good support in place.

The player you're referring to is S. Yarran or H. Bennell?
could be either but im pretty sure he is refering to Yarran .... truely one of the saddest stories in my time following footy ...

could be either but im pretty sure he is refering to Yarran .... truely one of the saddest stories in my time following footy ...
Very sad.

That rant he went on via Facebook was telling. Called Fyfe up himself which is true & basically said it’s a drug culture at Freo

I know I'm going very early on this and it may well turn out to be a howler, but young Parker reminds me of another aboriginal player who was a bit of a late starter every other club, including the fledgling WCE, overlooked.

Apparently this kid wasn't rated in the top 50 Players in the WAFL at the time. Spectacularly skilled, Mal Brown urged the saints to take a punt on him. Brown was quoted as saying the lad would win mark and goal of the year, and that a lack of consistency was his only weakness.

Like Parker, this kid was a fierce tackler and sublime mover, his grace disguising his electric pace. Like Parker, he played for South Fremantle. His name? Neil Elvis Winmar.

Last edited:
I know I'm going very early on this and it may well turn out to be a howler, but young Parker reminds me of another aboriginal player who was a bit of a late starter every other club, including the fledgling WCE, overlooked.

Apparently this kid wasn't rated in the top 50 Players in the WAFL at the time. Spectacularly skilled, Mal Brown urged the saints to take a punt on him. Brown was quoted as saying the lad would win mark and goal of the year, and that a lack of consistency was his only weakness.

Like Parker, this kid was a fierce tackler and sublime mover, his grace disguising his electric pace. Like Parker, he played for South Fremantle. His name? Neil Elvis Winmar.

Like, no pressure or anything, just be like one of the clubs greatest ever and a cultural icon and all that. Hopefully he is the second coming of Nicky, we could do with one now.

Schawinnnnng

tenor-5.gif

Yep going real early .

But nothing to lose , the beauty of taking mature players is you will know pretty early
in their career direction it is going , hopefully upwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back