Sydney Swans 2019 Season

Swannies in 2019?

• Sink. They've been up consistently for a long time. Their time is up. Longmire's one dimensional

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • Swim. They're like an old war horse that know's how to get it done. Still a dangerous side.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Staying afloat. Will make the finals, but won't have a say in serious matters in 2019

Votes: 41 26.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not the umpires. Sydney have just slid.

What you are asking for is umpires that will favour you. It’s a cop out, it’s not the umpires that make you lose. Never has been.
See my next post. We suck, I can admit that.

I don't want umpires that favour us, I want the opportunity to see us play on a basically level playing field week to week. We're not afforded that opportunity at the moment. As a doggy supporter, you wouldn't understand this.

However, I'm certain that the standard "chip on the shoulder" that Melbourne has re: Sydney manifests subconsciously in umpires' decisions. Look up our free kick differentials over the past decade, during which we haven't been a "dirty" team.

Not sure if I can post links but google "afl free kick differentials by year" and it will be the first result.

seriously.... That's Bull****. 2 games in and you have thrown in the towel? Grow some balls champ. What happened to the Bloods culture of being competitive?

Theres 20 games to go
I think your main concern is your back 6.

I remember many years ago, Richards and Grundy were your teams most reliable 2 key defenders.

Advice on success and culture from a freo fan, lol

It’s not the umpires. Sydney have just slid.

What you are asking for is umpires that will favour you. It’s a cop out, it’s not the umpires that make you lose. Never has been.

There was one time it was certainly the umps

My two bobs worth

Really don't think the swans have a team that suits their home ground nor the style they play

The grounds far too short

Gets far too conjested , hence frees paid and frees missed
Umps are instructed to move it on , so we ain't getting 4 ball ups in Row

They really miss a few more Mids , a big body
Guys like Greenwood, seir, wills. A ward. Oliver types

Missing at the moment

Geez mills is struggling

They simply don't have enough power players

See my next post. We suck, I can admit that.

I don't want umpires that favour us, I want the opportunity to see us play on a basically level playing field week to week. We're not afforded that opportunity at the moment. As a doggy supporter, you wouldn't understand this.

However, I'm certain that the standard "chip on the shoulder" that Melbourne has re: Sydney manifests subconsciously in umpires' decisions. Look up our free kick differentials over the past decade, during which we haven't been a "dirty" team.

Not sure if I can post links but google "afl free kick differentials by year" and it will be the first result.

Do you want a tissue?

Or maybe a tin foil hat?

Appreciate many disagree
But this is where the buddy contract pain really starts to kick in.

Getting buddy on huge $ on top of tippets inflated dollars ment this day was always coming

Since his arrival they have shed quality players but more importantly they have
Had now 5 seasons of plodders and fringe players coming in.

His contract has stifled their ability to trade quality players in .

As another poster put it
this has resulted in them having some really promising under 23 year olds from drafting
And some aging champs 29 and over.

The meat of their list is ordinary and buddy’s contract is a big reason why

Watch us play them into form in round 6. It's what we do in the H/A.

:pPart of a cunning plan to get an easy matchup in Sydney in September methinks.

No idea why they keep playing Mills as a defender. Was the best inside mid in the 2015 draft, and hadn’t progressed since his Rising Star season.

Just seems to have mellowed into an OK player with no strong attributes aside from his above average overhead marking, and he can be a liability with his footskills bringing it out of defence.

Surely it’s time to start attending some stoppages and allowing him to develop into the role he starred at as a junior.

Last edited:
We need an academy so that we can develop and draft some NSW umpires. Deadset get shafted every week, and twice as bad at home.

Vic umps honestly shouldn't be allowed to umpire NSW teams. Imagine having a bunch of South Australians umpiring every time a VIC team played an interstate team - that s**t would start world war 3.
scotty with the pop boy.gif

There was a moment in last qtr where swans were 4 goals adrift and 12 mins left - Lloyd had ball centre half back. He had the option of take a risk and go through the middle but instead, predictably went safe to a short lead on the boundary line and the moment was lost.

That summed up Swans last night. Playing no risk and essentially defeatist football.

I wonder if thats player error or playing to the coaching plan

Lloyd won our B&F playing like that, it's absolutely coaching direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans were shithouse last night. The South Australian sides have got them regularly at the SCG of late but if there was ever a time you'd want to face the Crows it was last night. They had their own questions to ask themselves and answer after a pathetic performance put up against the Hawks. Sydney fizzled out faster than a can of coke.

Bloody disappointing.

Swans were shithouse last night. The South Australian sides have got them regularly at the SCG of late but if there was ever a time you'd want to face the Crows it was last night. They had their own questions to ask themselves and answer after a pathetic performance put up against the Hawks. Sydney fizzled out faster than a can of coke.

Bloody disappointing.

and the even worse thing is that I don't even think Adelaide played that well last night. I mean they were okay, but nothing more than that.

Definitely had a wretched run with the umps last night but by and large they're lacking in quality.
I think their midfield group isn't deep enough on talent and they look light on in defence from what i saw last night.
Early days but need to find some improvement either in system or talent.

Their 2018 season was inflated by the lucky wins they had towards the end of the year against Pies/Melb/GWS. Moore gets injured early and Buddy gets off the leash, Melbourne dominate the game but taking butchering the footy to a whole new level and Davis like Moore is injured early and Buddy pops off.

They’ve got a fair few good younger players but their 23-29 bracket is pretty average.

Appreciate many disagree
But this is where the buddy contract pain really starts to kick in.

Getting buddy on huge $ on top of tippets inflated dollars ment this day was always coming

Since his arrival they have shed quality players but more importantly they have
Had now 5 seasons of plodders and fringe players coming in.

His contract has stifled their ability to trade quality players in .

As another poster put it
this has resulted in them having some really promising under 23 year olds from drafting
And some aging champs 29 and over.

The meat of their list is ordinary and buddy’s contract is a big reason why

Agreed. Franklin is the best forward of our time and worth the punt, but I truly think Sydney internally will be disappointed they didn’t win a premiership with him there. You don’t spend that much money on a player for that long while in the premiership window without having the expectation of winning a flag.

I don't understand why Horse insists on throwing Papley in to the midfield, but not Heeney? Heeney is a vastly superior talent and is better in every aspect of the game. His marking ability should be utilized all over the ground and the best way to do that is through the midfield.

Sydney's midfield needs to be built around - Parker, Heeney, Jones, Mills, Hewett with JPK.

Their 2018 season was inflated by the lucky wins they had towards the end of the year against Pies/Melb/GWS. Moore gets injured early and Buddy gets off the leash, Melbourne dominate the game but taking butchering the footy to a whole new level and Davis like Moore is injured early and Buddy pops off.

They’ve got a fair few good younger players but their 23-29 bracket is pretty average.

Wasn't luck against Melbourne might grant you the Pies game and to a lesser extent GWS but Melbourne didn't turn up to play even though they rallied late. Was the type of thing you come to expect from Melbourne really when expectation is high of them.

I don't understand why Horse insists on throwing Papley in to the midfield, but not Heeney? Heeney is a vastly superior talent and is better in every aspect of the game. His marking ability should be utilized all over the ground and the best way to do that is through the midfield.

Sydney's midfield needs to be built around - Parker, Heeney, Jones, Mills, Hewett with JPK.

You free to coach ? Makes sense to me

Back