Review Dogs Completely Out Coached By Beveridge: Lose Badly To Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

The saddest part of the day was when he put Dunkley- or no-one ? - against Kreuzer in the ruck. And Kreuzer whacked the ball forward as hard as he could . Poor fella got confused, he could have grabbed the ball and sprinted 50m if he wanted.

I know Bev doesn’t respect ruckmen, but with no 3rd man up rule he’s not respecting the opposition or us fans. A player gets pillioried for not standing the mark or shirking a tackle. A coach who doesn’t contest the ruck is disrespectful of the game.

IIRC* Dunkley barely contested that ball up and was more intent on positioning himself to shark the ball should it hit the ground. I do however recall being incredulous at what Id just seen.

*I haven't been able to face up to the prospect of watching the replay.

TBH i'm glad we lost to Blues, it was a wake up call we needed after just beating both Swans and Hawks.

Three weeks in a row, taller forward lines are our weakness and defensive we need at looking at ensuring our key backs are quicker than Daniel.

hell even move Daniel back to the wing so he doesn't get caught out.

All year, though people love him. English has had an issue being a pure number 1 ruck against mature bodies.

he needs that rest with another tall coming onto the ground.
He also needs to better time his taps and our midfield need to focus more of not putting themselves under the ball drop thus allowing oppo midfielders to handball backpass and we chase tail.

Its only round 5 and plenty of footy to go but feel like now that three weeks in a row we have been caught out, Bevo should change the wheel.

When it comes to rotating midfield, teams like Bombers and Swans had issues last year with the midfield. As they only had maybe 5 pure midfield rotations thus making it more predictable for oppo teams.

Williams is a half backer and sadly not a midfielder, Gowers is a forward/swing defender.

Our midfield rotation should purely be- Bont, Hunter (free kicks), Macrae, Dunkley, Libba and Wallis

We were clearly underdone down back for height without Morris who can play tall on anybody, but the Blues were just better and wanted it more and you can't coach that. If we stifled their supply up the ground it would be a different story for their forwards but we didn't, there was no pressure coming out of our forward line and through our midfield. Cripps and Petrevski-Seton had a field day and we were lazy and slow. Suckling and Duryea's field kicking was missing which hurt getting over the lines and when you kick 7.15 and miss a heap of easy shots, the ball gets moved up the other end pretty quick and they had blokes like Casboult kicking them from 50 on the boundary line. We couldn't hit the side of a barn from 20 metres. There were a number of passengers. I can't cop blaming Bevo though. We looked lazy and tired at times and our disposal and effort was s**t. These are grown men who shouldn't need to be told by a coach at that level how to do the basics.

Yet again we escape the heat. Norf and Dees were apparently s***** than us, so we'll see what happens this week. Maybe Daniel will be thrown in the ruck?

Don’t really get all the heat Daniel gets for being caught in the position he has multiple times. It’s because he works back harder than anyone else. He’s not the quickest bloke but works his ass off to get back, it’s a pity some of the faster blokes like jj didn’t work back as hard. Also the time he had to contest against McKay when they were the only two inside 50 was due to wood. He ran to the 50 with McKay then stood and ball watched as McKay doubled back and Daniel worked his ass off to get to him.

As for the players didn’t put in, you could say that quarter one against Gold Coast but not this week. Our number one strength all year has been our midfield dominance so this week Beveridge tinkers with it throwing new players in there trying to evolve Or fix what wasn’t broken. Libba and Macrae spending more time forward, no second ruckman, McLean staying forward as we experiment with gowers and Williams in the middle.

There’s only one person responsible for Sunday and that is Beveridge his selection and his dumb game day experiments. Play an extra kpd and fix the forward line that’s where he should be experimenting not in the bloody midfield

I would not be surprised at all if Roberts comes in and plays a solid role for the remainder of the year.

Yes i know he doesn't offer much attack and rebound but look at who we will have around him in Suckling, dureya, JJ, Cordy etc.

Don’t really get all the heat Daniel gets for being caught in the position he has multiple times. It’s because he works back harder than anyone else. He’s not the quickest bloke but works his ass off to get back, it’s a pity some of the faster blokes like jj didn’t work back as hard. Also the time he had to contest against McKay when they were the only two inside 50 was due to wood. He ran to the 50 with McKay then stood and ball watched as McKay doubled back and Daniel worked his ass off to get to him.

As for the players didn’t put in, you could say that quarter one against Gold Coast but not this week. Our number one strength all year has been our midfield dominance so this week Beveridge tinkers with it throwing new players in there trying to evolve Or fix what wasn’t broken. Libba and Macrae spending more time forward, no second ruckman, McLean staying forward as we experiment with gowers and Williams in the middle.

There’s only one person responsible for Sunday and that is Beveridge his selection and his dumb game day experiments. Play an extra kpd and fix the forward line that’s where he should be experimenting not in the bloody midfield

Agree with you. The heat is not only Daniel, it's on the coach and our other defenders for stupid selection decisions (coach) and not working hard enough/lazyiness (players) and leaving Daniel badly exposed.

Last edited:
I'd put Daniel at half forward or forward pocket where it's less of a problem if he gets outmarked and he can add to our forward pressure. We have an excess of small/medium defenders anyway.

I would not be surprised at all if Roberts comes in and plays a solid role for the remainder of the year.

Yes i know he doesn't offer much attack and rebound but look at who we will have around him in Suckling, dureya, JJ, Cordy etc.

This is what we need players who play a role and a position and they understand it. Not every KPD needs to be able to rebound, be able to ruck and rove, be able to intercept some KPD all they need to do is spoil and have sound decision making when their turn comes with ball in hand.

FR spoils and JJ, Suckling, Richards, Daniel etc need to be there and they use their skill set a FR allows Wood to consider intercepting etc

It’s like we run a “boys club” with jobs for all the boys.

I think it’s coz we can get guy such as Grant, Powers, Smith and Gia for a lot less than external people far more qualified but more expensive.

We have redirected funds to “other” projects and as I feared I believe this is hurting the men’s coaching total spend.

Our assistant coaching group would have to be the least qualified and cheapest pay salary in the league by a fair margin
Sadly that’s one thing I agree with you on. Chris Grant was a wonderful player but there is little to indicate he’s got the skillset for the role he has.

Honestly it has been a bit jobs for the boysish and we could do, I’m sure, with fresh blood in a few positions.

I kind of anticipate and Hardwick/Bomber/Buckley style review and an off field overhaul at the end of the year (barring a major onfield fight back). I back Bev but something is not right.

I'd put Daniel at half forward or forward pocket where it's less of a problem if he gets outmarked and he can add to our forward pressure. We have an excess of small/medium defenders anyway.

His lack of penetration plus excellent creativity and ability to lower the eyes makes him a far better option fwd IMO. Caleb has his confidence now so why not.put him fwd and have him delivering lace out to our quality ball starved fwds?

His lack of height and kicking depth really dont make him a long term option back IMO. Duryea and Suckling should provide the istability we need.

It’s still not clear to me exactly what Lewis Young did wrong to get dropped.

Well I think for the Collingwood game he didn’t really have a matchup so I was fine with the smaller defensive selection, Cox the only really big forward surrounded by a bunch of mediums.

Like I’m actually open to the defensive structures changing, there are times when a smaller defence can be played. But it certainly wasn’t the right time to do it against Carlton and even more so against Fremantle this week.

But I find it inexcusable that a second ruck isn’t played at all times. A) allows English a much needed chopout B) allows Naughton to use his mobility up the ground as a CHF.

It goes to show why it should not be the best 22 players selected per week but rather the right team with the right balance. Jack Redpath was a great example of this, a very one dimensional player and it’s fair to say wasn’t in the top 25 players picked in regards to talent. But in terms of team balance and improving the output of players around him Jack (imo) should have been in the top 10 players first chosen. He allowed Stringer to play as a medium/small and took a good defender away from Boyd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His lack of penetration plus excellent creativity and ability to lower the eyes makes him a far better option fwd IMO. Caleb has his confidence now so why not.put him fwd and have him delivering lace out to our quality ball starved fwds?

His lack of height and kicking depth really dont make him a long term option back IMO. Duryea and Suckling should provide the istability we need.
Or crumb. Caleb offers a fair bit why not see if he can be part of a restructured forward line

Or crumb. Caleb offers a fair bit why not see if he can be part of a restructured forward line

Ha was just thinking that get him front and square of Naughton 30m out. Very dangerous.

At present Caleb back is very dangerous - for us.

Have thought for a while that Bev seems to play Russian roulette with our undersized backline hoping that our mid dominance and back running will win out. In the last three weeks we have been beaten by two botttom teams who have exploited Bev's unwillingness to 'structure up'.

Tough to watch.

I have posted this many times before and it has had no effect so Bev has obviously stopped listening to me. I promise this is the last time i will say it.

We need to have a better structure up forward and down back - two tall players in each half. I understand Bev's belief that playing too many talls can rob a team of run. For example Carlton played two talls down back, Wettering and Jones. Carlton played two talls up front, Casboult and McKay. So that's why they lacked run and that''s why they lost the game!........HEY WAIT A MINUTE.

For five weeks in a row we have gone into a game with Zaine Cordy and Easton Wood named as playing Fullback and Centre Half back respectively and teams are quite clearly a wake up to these shenanigans.

We may have gotten away with an undersized zone defence whilst they were surrounded by the football nous of Morris, Boyd and Murphy or the size of Adams, but they are being torched and exposed for the flankers that they always have been by a match committee seemingly bereft of ideas and constantly falling back on what worked in the past when it comes to how to tackle the glaring issue of our undersized and inexperienced defence. How they thought it was a good idea to blood Lachie Young into an already unstable and undermanned defensive structure, yet left out a much more structurally sound Lewis Young or indeed Fletcher Roberts for all their flaws just beggars belief. All of this however pales into insignificance when it comes to our seeming reliance on a 36 year old to be the single nail that holds the entire rickety structure together.

Definitely had to ban myself from posting for about 36 hours because i blew up last year after our loss to Port in Ballarat.

I'll start with the positives because it's important to TRY and enjoy watching footy, although this one was a tough one.

Baz Smith is looking more like an AFL player with some nice attributes. I love watching him run, kick the ball sweet and attack the contest. He looks like a really nice little player on the sizzle.

Billy Gowers is such a beautiful mark of the ball. Really like him although his goal kicking in this game was frustrating. He's a specimen.

JJ and Daniel look nice and clean off half back. Love watching JJ play football. Incredible mover. The dagger turnover from Daniel hurt but apart from that i love him and know what he's there for. He's a great user who is supposed to shoulder an element of risk.

That's about it with the positives. It was a tough day as a fan. It is important now to look into the frustrations i have:

What were we trying to do? We didn't replace the ruck help. They have one of the best gravitational midfielders in the game. Cripps is totally untackleable and we gave him a significant ruck advantage. We were playing from behind from the contest the whole game. But that's okay right, because we have a great back 6! Oh wait, we've just taken out two experienced defenders, and the opposition have FOUR tall forwards. We went with the NBA equivalent of small ball without gaining an advantage in shooting. More smalls but still lose the ground ball ffs.

We have a tremendously talented aerial target up forward, but we are the worst team in the AFL at exposing ourselves on the turnover. Other teams that back their foot skills are Hawthorn and West Coast. If you watch how they set up the ground they are protected on the turnover. We are never protected. Our guys run forward of the ball in an attempt to overpossess the footy without giving ourselves a higher % look at the goals.

I would describe Beveridge's style right now as high risk, low reward.

We have a tremendously talented list, Bont, Macrae, Libba, Wallis, JJ, Hunter, Daniel, Mclean with a stack of really interesting young guys like Naughton, Richards, Smith and English. We are flat out underperforming and losing to teams with less talent because they are executing the basics. Gold Coast and Carlton this year have beaten us by winning aerial contests, evening or winning the physical ground ball contest, not turning the ball over, and running hard defensively. How about we put together a team that isn't afraid to kick the ball to a contest, by giving kids like Cordy and Naughton just a bit of support. We have been too cute for 24 months now.

One other thing, as soon as i saw the outs and the ins i knew we'd be in the s**t. Beveridge seems to be perennially building towards 2022 by constantly playing the youngest team possible. Young cost us at crucial times today and it's hard to be patient when three weeks later he'll be replaced by another kid we need to be patient with.

Pick some low hanging fruit Bevo. You've had years to address our weaknesses and you're not doing it. You're not putting our young talls in a position to succeed and i am sick of it.

Our forwards are made to look terrible by our ball movement, which doesn’t help.

I think Bevo is a clever coach but has a lot of trouble admitting when something isn’t working. Going as small as we have gone only works if you put on extreme pressure.

Having a midget forward line is not going to work if you aren’t moving the ball cleanly out of the middle. That said, our forward line looked pretty good when we got a run on against Hawthorn.

I’m more convinced now than ever that Boyd needs to come in when fit and spend his time forward with limited ruck time. He spent almost all of his games last year in the ruck. He’s a pinch hitter there and that’s it. Even then, a solid body in the ruck is desperately needed too.

People had written him off but if you set the ball up high he actually brings it to ground and in a dangerous spot. Schache and Naughton struggle to do that unless they get a run at it.
Definitely had to ban myself from posting for about 36 hours because i blew up last year after our loss to Port in Ballarat.

I'll start with the positives because it's important to TRY and enjoy watching footy, although this one was a tough one.

Baz Smith is looking more like an AFL player with some nice attributes. I love watching him run, kick the ball sweet and attack the contest. He looks like a really nice little player on the sizzle.

Billy Gowers is such a beautiful mark of the ball. Really like him although his goal kicking in this game was frustrating. He's a specimen.

JJ and Daniel look nice and clean off half back. Love watching JJ play football. Incredible mover. The dagger turnover from Daniel hurt but apart from that i love him and know what he's there for. He's a great user who is supposed to shoulder an element of risk.

That's about it with the positives. It was a tough day as a fan. It is important now to look into the frustrations i have:

What were we trying to do? We didn't replace the ruck help. They have one of the best gravitational midfielders in the game. Cripps is totally untackleable and we gave him a significant ruck advantage. We were playing from behind from the contest the whole game. But that's okay right, because we have a great back 6! Oh wait, we've just taken out two experienced defenders, and the opposition have FOUR tall forwards. We went with the NBA equivalent of small ball without gaining an advantage in shooting. More smalls but still lose the ground ball ffs.

We have a tremendously talented aerial target up forward, but we are the worst team in the AFL at exposing ourselves on the turnover. Other teams that back their foot skills are Hawthorn and West Coast. If you watch how they set up the ground they are protected on the turnover. We are never protected. Our guys run forward of the ball in an attempt to overpossess the footy without giving ourselves a higher % look at the goals.

I would describe Beveridge's style right now as high risk, low reward.

We have a tremendously talented list, Bont, Macrae, Libba, Wallis, JJ, Hunter, Daniel, Mclean with a stack of really interesting young guys like Naughton, Richards, Smith and English. We are flat out underperforming and losing to teams with less talent because they are executing the basics. Gold Coast and Carlton this year have beaten us by winning aerial contests, evening or winning the physical ground ball contest, not turning the ball over, and running hard defensively. How about we put together a team that isn't afraid to kick the ball to a contest, by giving kids like Cordy and Naughton just a bit of support. We have been too cute for 24 months now.

One other thing, as soon as i saw the outs and the ins i knew we'd be in the s**t. Beveridge seems to be perennially building towards 2022 by constantly playing the youngest team possible. Young cost us at crucial times today and it's hard to be patient when three weeks later he'll be replaced by another kid we need to be patient with.

Pick some low hanging fruit Bevo. You've had years to address our weaknesses and you're not doing it. You're not putting our young talls in a position to succeed and i am sick of it.
you’ve expressed my thoughts exactly.

TBH i'm glad we lost to Blues, it was a wake up call we needed after just beating both Swans and Hawks.

Three weeks in a row, taller forward lines are our weakness and defensive we need at looking at ensuring our key backs are quicker than Daniel.

hell even move Daniel back to the wing so he doesn't get caught out.

All year, though people love him. English has had an issue being a pure number 1 ruck against mature bodies.

he needs that rest with another tall coming onto the ground.
He also needs to better time his taps and our midfield need to focus more of not putting themselves under the ball drop thus allowing oppo midfielders to handball backpass and we chase tail.

Its only round 5 and plenty of footy to go but feel like now that three weeks in a row we have been caught out, Bevo should change the wheel.

When it comes to rotating midfield, teams like Bombers and Swans had issues last year with the midfield. As they only had maybe 5 pure midfield rotations thus making it more predictable for oppo teams.

Williams is a half backer and sadly not a midfielder, Gowers is a forward/swing defender.

Our midfield rotation should purely be- Bont, Hunter (free kicks), Macrae, Dunkley, Libba and Wallis

Id have McLean in there ahead of both Dunkley and Wallis. He is easily ahead of those guys as an inside/outside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back