Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I did.

And I'm not saying he'll turn out better than any/all of them.

I'm saying that as a first impression and in 6 senior games, none of those have been this good this early in their careers.
Fair enough. I don't exactly remember the specifics of their first six games but they all had visible talent to burn on first impressions.

Yes, I did.

And I'm not saying he'll turn out better than any/all of them.

I'm saying that as a first impression and in 6 senior games, none of those have been this good this early in their careers.

It helps that Rozee has superb physicial development for a first year player. Kid has some guns on him, Chadbro would be impressed.

I assumed someone would say this. Like I said Rozee is a gun, but Walsh is breaking records and is playing with the composure of someone 10 years older.

What records is he breaking? Not being sarcastic, genuine question.

What records is he breaking? Not being sarcastic, genuine question.

Most hyped junior at a "big 3" club chip-scabbing easy possessions since Andrew McGrath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's a RS bias towards non-Victorian clubs.

The whole McGrath / Burton over SPP thing was probably justified following the slow back end of 2017 that SPP had.

If you go back through the records I'd go as far to say there's actually a disproportionally high percentage of RS winners from non-Victorian clubs.

He's the only player in history to have 24+ in his first 5 games, which he then extended to 6 games against the Hawks.

I'm not saying that's not impressive for a first year player but I hope if he wins the award it's for having a more rounded game that purely getting his hands on it a lot.

There's many players across the comp that rack up 30, 35 possessions every week and you barely notice them.

If he earns it, he earns it, no sour grapes. The idea that Rozee can't and won't win it after 6 rounds is a bit of a stretch though.

I'm not saying that's not impressive for a first year player but I hope if he wins the award it's for having a more rounded game that purely getting his hands on it a lot.

There's many players across the comp that rack up 30, 35 possessions every week and you barely notice them.

If he earns it, he earns it, no sour grapes. The idea that Rozee can't and won't win it after 6 rounds is a bit of a stretch though.

I absolutely agree that it's not a foregone conclusion, just that Rozee is unlucky that there is another kid having a brilliant season as well. It's rare you have two players with first seasons like this.

I'm not the biggest fan of outward celebrations (Riley Knight counting up his money the other week made me want to puke) but I like it between Conner and Zak. Two young guns building a strong relationship together in their first year at the club and seem to be heavily enjoying their footy, what more could you ask for? Also fits in with their knack of getting up the oppo's arse. We've been missing a real pest in the team since Monfries retired and now we seem to have two of them. Future legends.

I have seen quite a bit of Walsh, he went number 1 for a reason! He is a ripper young player, and will be a 250+ game star ... I had the RS award already awarded to him after 2 games! However, Rozee has broken the paradigm! If he keeps impacting games to the degree he has, then all bets are well and truly off! IMO Walsh is still marginally in front, but Rozee would now be yapping at his heals.

Forget any Victorian bias, Rozee is being highly spoken of in the Victoria media! Neutral fans are tuning in to watch him. The winner will be the lad that can sustain his form the longest. Reality though is that both clubs are on a winner!

I assumed someone would say this. Like I said Rozee is a gun, but Walsh is breaking records and is playing with the composure of someone 10 years older.

Walsh is a jet. Last year's draft is just pumping out ready to go players.

I don't think there's a RS bias towards non-Victorian clubs.

The whole McGrath / Burton over SPP thing was probably justified following the slow back end of 2017 that SPP had.

If you go back through the records I'd go as far to say there's actually a disproportionally high percentage of RS winners from non-Victorian clubs.
Sam Powell-Pepper’s first year as an inside midfielder was a huge component in us making finals.

Andrew McGrath acheived nothing close to that. Him winning the award may not have been “vic-bias” in a direct sense, it may have simply been because he was on TV more, or because he was the highest pick and therefore believed to have the highest potential.

Whatever it was, it was bullshit.

As for Sam Walsh, he is deservingly ahead right now, and would absolutely deserve to win the Rising Star 2019 award. But thanks to McGrath 2017 the award is clearly tainted right now when a victorian number one pick, playing for a big club wins it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back