Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of lamenting of set shots here. As far as I recall he only missed one today? Wasn't overly tough but 40+ out.

It's a slight concern that he struggles to kick the ball 40+ metres, but not enough for him to be even considered for omission. He's missed some closer in shots in previous games but I don't believe he'll continue to struggle with those.

A lot of lamenting of set shots here. As far as I recall he only missed one today? Wasn't overly tough but 40+ out.

It's a slight concern that he struggles to kick the ball 40+ metres, but not enough for him to be even considered for omission. He's missed some closer in shots in previous games but I don't believe he'll continue to struggle with those.
Two. One that we all knew he wasn’t going to make the distance and the other he needs to slot.

The couple late in the game on Anzac Day as well.

Imagine if he could kick!

Kick set shots at goal you mean(seems to be an issue for all at our club)

His field kicking has been excellent. I’m now convinced he is afl talent. Lovely sidestep, Clean, good skills and he is started to become a fantastic tackler.

Son of a gun putting us in front against those filthy dogs. Doesn’t get much better.

Ablett is in my opinion the greatest player of all time, people forget quickly that at 34 what he is doing now is in unknown territory.

Prime Ablett was easily the most damaging and best player of all time, i mean the man is unlucky to only have 2 brownlows considering he deserved 3 or 4 easily.

If Cal Brown becomes anything like Ablett i will name my first born son after Cal, mark my words!
Gushing much???

Seriously though, Gaz is a great player and deserves his rewards and accolades, has been a walk up start most of his career but he isn't the second coming.

Callum has edged ahead of Thomas at present because to my eyes at least he's winning a higher percentage of ball in bigger moments and in more difficult contested situations.

This. We are starting to see more of Callum in the thick of it, a fantastic development on his part. Love his evasiveness too. The nippy weaving out of or around contests. He has some tricks, which could almost qualify as 'trademarks' - but maybe a bit early for that.:)

Also love how the club has persisted with him, shown patience.

I have already said he will play 200 games in the AFL but he is tracking faster than i thought. They say players dont even know whats happening until they have played 50 games so i cannot wait. I see his ceiling as a slightly worse kicking Lachie Neale. He will be awesome when he moves permanently into the mids

^From the VFL, where Travis is plying his trade currently? I'd like to see Varcoe in the team. I think his speed and tackling were really missing against Carlton yesterday.

As for Callum, he's coming along. I can't easily forgive his regular set shot misses - some of these are just regulation and can kill our momentum.
A senior AFL player simply has to nail them.
But he's working hard, trying to stick tackles and producing some clever play and goals.

This. We are starting to see more of Callum in the thick of it, a fantastic development on his part. Love his evasiveness too. The nippy weaving out of or around contests. He has some tricks, which could almost qualify as 'trademarks' - but maybe a bit early for that.:)

Also love how the club has persisted with him, shown patience.
This! Watching Cal over his last few games it's been pretty obvious to me that the club is looking to fast track his development by persisting with him. He has some very good tricks in his bag and given some time to acclimatise at this level I can see him potentially outshining even his father. Big call, I know because Rowdy still remains as one of my all time favourite players at Collingwood but Cal is freakish at times with his decision making and evasive skills. Can't wait to see some more of Tyler too.

Ablett is in my opinion the greatest player of all time, people forget quickly that at 34 what he is doing now is in unknown territory.

Prime Ablett was easily the most damaging and best player of all time, i mean the man is unlucky to only have 2 brownlows considering he deserved 3 or 4 easily.

If Cal Brown becomes anything like Ablett i will name my first born son after Cal, mark my words!
Ablett Senior or Junior.

Senior there might be a case for.

Junior not so much. As good as junior has been he started his career a bit slowly, last few years not at his prime (he is getting older ofcourse).

But hard to be the greatest of all time if the overall body of work doesn’t match various players like Leigh Matthews, John Coleman, Ablett senior.

Great player but just not at the level of the above. And there are other players who would be better.

But great player.

Interesting discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today was his 19th AFL game.
19!
Think about that.

I remember waiting for Grundy, JDG, Langdon, Maynard and the like to reach the magic number - 50 games. Was confident about what would happen then.
This! Watching Cal over his last few games it's been pretty obvious to me that the club is looking to fast track his development by persisting with him. He has some very good tricks in his bag and given some time to acclimatise at this level I can see him potentially outshining even his father. Big call, I know because Rowdy still remains as one of my all time favourite players at Collingwood but Cal is freakish at times with his decision making and evasive skills. Can't wait to see some more of Tyler too.

Outshining his dad is a big call! But I’m also seeing a very different footballer with the youngster. While many of us are seeing a lot of Peter Moore in Darcy, I’m not seeing that in Cal. As one of the older posters who loved Gavin, I’m still not joining those dots. Maybe others with a better recollection of Rowdy will correct me.

His kicking sucks, and he's pint-size. He needs to make the most of his opportunities.

But is making slow progress when it comes to finding the pill more.

His passing by foot is becoming solid, set shots are a different story (as with the entire side ATM). I'd argue that JDG is suffering from the same affliction.

He is making the most of his opportunities IMO and I wouldn't be calling his progress slow. Yesterday we saw a guy with less than 20 games at the level clearly show that he belongs. His tackles are sticking and his sidestep is elite.

I agree that he needs more lean body mass, which will come over the next year or 2.

I remember waiting for Grundy, JDG, Langdon, Maynard and the like to reach the magic number - 50 games. Was confident about what would happen then.

Outshining his dad is a big call! But I’m also seeing a very different footballer with the youngster. While many of us are seeing a lot of Peter Moore in Darcy, I’m not seeing that in Cal. As one of the older posters who loved Gavin, I’m still not joining those dots. Maybe others with a better recollection of Rowdy will correct me.
Certainly not Gavin Mk2 aside from stupidly high levels of courage. Much more evasive and precise in his football but with Gav it was all about passion and commitment to powering through.

Ablett Senior or Junior.

Senior there might be a case for.

Junior not so much. As good as junior has been he started his career a bit slowly, last few years not at his prime (he is getting older ofcourse).

But hard to be the greatest of all time if the overall body of work doesn’t match various players like Leigh Matthews, John Coleman, Ablett senior.

Great player but just not at the level of the above. And there are other players who would be better.

But great player.

Interesting discussion.

Junior is the best player up with Hird imo I have seen. Hard to split them. You don’t need quantity over quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His passing by foot is becoming solid, set shots are a different story (as with the entire side ATM). I'd argue that JDG is suffering from the same affliction.

He is making the most of his opportunities IMO and I wouldn't be calling his progress slow. Yesterday we saw a guy with less than 20 games at the level clearly show that he belongs. His tackles are sticking and his sidestep is elite.

I agree that he needs more lean body mass, which will come over the next year or 2.

He contributed more than Thomas which is not super impressive but indicates he deserves his spot for now.

Certainly not Gavin Mk2 aside from stupidly high levels of courage. Much more evasive and precise in his football but with Gav it was all about passion and commitment to powering through.

His dad, whilst undersized, could hold down a key position at either end of the ground and was a vastly better mark. Cal's shimy is his own thing.

Junior is the best player up with Hird imo I have seen. Hard to split them. You don’t need quantity over quality.

Since he started to lose that yard of pace he is starting to play that sweeper role, a sure sign of declining athleticism in an aging champ.

Sure he's still getting heaps of possessions but many of them are close to meaningless - anyone NOT remember his huge statistics in the PF against the Pies in '10??? Great stats but most of them not damaging.

A great player and still very good but most simply haven't caught up with the fact that he is on the downward path.

Fair summation.

Just needs to finish significantly better. We have far too many blokes with poor footskills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back