Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly does. You're telling him you value him but not so much you won't completely **** him around for the sake of a second round pick. Reckon he signs a lucrative one year contract at the cats rather than go the draft again rather than go to a club trying to list him below his value and possibly failing for the nth time. Fair betrayal of trust that
That's a lot of phoney moralising.

Ahahahahahahahahahah.

How good were his two goals against your mob in that cut-throat semi-final? Seemed to play like a bloke who was being treated like cattle didn't he? Flipside, your mob paid fair value and you're through to the Prelim this week. Oh well.

You're lucky that Kelly is the ultimate professional, otherwise his performance would've suffered this year, but I still maintain what I've said. How were Geelong acting on anything other than selfishness with Kelly? It's an apt description, and even more confusing given your club have benefited quite significantly from the go home factor with other players.

And we're both in the same boat. Neither of us are beating Richmond, so it doesn't matter.

That's a lot of phoney moralising.
You could say it's phoney, or you could say Tim would prefer not to go to the draft.

"Hi Tim, we want you at our club and care about your family stability, but we don't care enough not to risk you ending up at the suns"

Can't see that going down well

I suppose there's an intuitive point to be made: why would Geelong trade Kelly while contracted for anything less than massive overs?

They were entitled to hold him to his contract and that's what happened. And I think that move has paid off onfield.

In light of that, I don't see much room for the counterfactual scenario of "if WC had offered x, they'd have gone B2B". Unless you can tell me with certainty what would have got the deal done?

Nobody can say exactly what would have gotten the deal done but there is a very high chance you cost yourselves a potential grand final birth and back to back.

And before you go ahead and say your this and that certainly stuff which you usually do, let's just accept the general premise that kelly improved your team drastically and there was a strong chance it would have been the difference between a grand final and what happened.

Unless you had to give up a quality best 22 player, you guys have cost yourselves big time.

If I recall correctly some of the same posters in here we're telling me 12 months ago that its laughable to suggest kelly would be the difference and they don't need him because gaff is coming back..

Well boy did they get that one wrong.

You just got knocked out by the very team on a Friday night at the MCG by the cats with Kelly named one of the BOG’S.

I think a lot at west coast who actually know precisely what the trade would have cost are going to be a little upset they didn't pay the price

You're lucky that Kelly is the ultimate professional, otherwise his performance would've suffered this year, but I still maintain what I've said. How were Geelong acting on anything other than selfishness with Kelly? It's an apt description, and even more confusing given your club have benefited quite significantly from the go home factor with other players.

And we're both in the same boat. Neither of us are beating Richmond, so it doesn't matter.

We gave Kelly the option of going to Freo if he desperately needed to get home. We had a suitable trade with them. He decided he'd rather see out his contract. How on earth is that being "selfish"!!

Nobody can say exactly what would have gotten the deal done but there is a very high chance you cost yourselves a potential grand final birth and back to back.

And before you go ahead and say your this and that certainly stuff which you usually do, let's just accept the general premise that kelly improved your team drastically and there was a strong chance it would have been the difference between a grand final and what happened.
Kelly would have improved our team, no doubt. But if you can't tell me what would have got the deal done, it's not worth indulging the hypothetical. What is the price we theoretically should have been willing to pay? If you can't say, what are you talking about?

We had the cattle to finish top 4 without him and didn't get it done. That is far more real, immediate and concrete than some silly sliding doors guessing game about how we might have got Kelly at the end of 2018, particularly when Geelong would have understandably wanted massive overs for a contracted player. I don't begrudge them for that. Nor do I lose any sleep over not coughing up.

We gave Kelly the option of going to Freo if he desperately needed to get home. We had a suitable trade with them. He decided he'd rather see out his contract. How on earth is that being "selfish"!!

Because it was still ultimately Geelong's decision to trade him or not. He didn't want to go to Freo, and nominated us instead. However, you decided to keep him, because he provided more to you as a utility, rather than helping out his wellbeing. That's why I say you treated him like cattle, because you did act selfishly.

And just because he only wanted to come to us doesn't delegitimise his reason for coming home, otherwise you could say the same about Ablett or Dangerfield.

Because it was still ultimately Geelong's decision to trade him or not. He didn't want to go to Freo, and nominated us instead. However, you decided to keep him, because he provided more to you as a utility, rather than helping out his wellbeing. That's why I say you treated him like cattle, because you did act selfishly.

And just because he only wanted to come to us doesn't delegitimise his reason for coming home, otherwise you could say the same about Ablett or Dangerfield.

That is just absolutely ridiculous. The guy was under contract and was happy at Geelong ("can't imagine playing anywhere else"). His personal circumstances meant that a trade back to WA was entertained. It clearly wasn't so desperate for Kelly to move that he was not prepared to move to Freo. It could also be argued that WC are the selfish party for not being prepared to offer a suitable trade for a contracted player that was hoping to get to their team! Did you expect us just to hand a top mid over to the current premier without wanting a reasonable trade back?!! GTFO!!!!

I honestly think in this year's draft he is worth either of the below.

A. 1 top 5 pick
B. 1 top 10 pick and 1 pick between 11-20.
C. 3 picks between 11-25.

I honestly think in this year's draft he is worth either of the below.

A. 1 top 5 pick
B. 1 top 10 pick and 1 pick between 11-20.
C. 3 picks between 11-25.
What do you mean by "worth"?

As in, if there was an auction with 17 bidders, that would be the price?

Because that's not the scenario. Rather, the scenario is that if Kelly asks for a trade, he'll nominate a club and then it will be a question of what is the minimum return Geelong would accept. The idea of "worth", as some ill-defined expression of market value, doesn't come into it.

What do you mean by "worth"?

As in, if there was an auction with 17 bidders, that would be the price?

Because that's not the scenario. Rather, the scenario is that if Kelly asks for a trade, he'll nominate a club and then it will be a question of what is the minimum return Geelong would accept. The idea of "worth", as some ill-defined expression of market value, doesn't come into it.

I mean 13 and 22 doesn't fit into the above criteria. You'll have to upgrade those picks or add another one to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is just absolutely ridiculous. The guy was under contract and was happy at Geelong ("can't imagine playing anywhere else"). His personal circumstances meant that a trade back to WA was entertained. It clearly wasn't so desperate for Kelly to move that he was not prepared to move to Freo. It could also be argued that WC are the selfish party for not being prepared to offer a suitable trade for a contracted player that was hoping to get to their team! Did you expect us just to hand a top mid over to the current premier without wanting a reasonable trade back?!! GTFO!!!!

What else is he going to say? "I hate Geelong and wish I was never drafted here"? No player is ever going to say that about the club they're playing for. And we know enough about the personal circumstances that I think it's a fair thing to say. Just because he wanted to only come to West Coast, doesn't make his reasons any less legitimate. It's still ultimately Geelong's decision to trade him or not, and it's on you that has hasn't come home already.

And apparently the difference in price was 10 pick places (20, 20 and a future second, while you wanted a future first instead). We didn't completely lowball you.

Unless you had to give up a quality best 22 player, you guys have cost yourselves big time.

If I recall correctly some of the same posters in here we're telling me 12 months ago that its laughable to suggest kelly would be the difference and they don't need him because gaff is coming back..

Well boy did they get that one wrong.

You just got knocked out by the very team on a Friday night at the MCG by the cats with Kelly named one of the BOG’S.

I think a lot at west coast who actually know precisely what the trade would have cost are going to be a little upset they didn't pay the price
Just like Tom will cost you for not keeping his fists to himself?

What else is he going to say? "I hate Geelong and wish I was never drafted here"? No player is ever going to say that about the club they're playing for. And we know enough about the personal circumstances that I think it's a fair thing to say. Just because he wanted to only come to West Coast, doesn't make his reasons any less legitimate. It's still ultimately Geelong's decision to trade him or not, and it's on you that has hasn't come home already.

And apparently the difference in price was 10 pick places (20, 20 and a future second, while you wanted a future first instead). We didn't completely lowball you.

Nah, you lowballed us and missed out. Anyway, this was discussed for about 120 pages about 120 pages ago. It's boring. And now irrelevant.

Geez you dont get anything football. You realize that geelong players nominate the three players. Apparently they dont know who's playing well for their own team according to you. Being nominated ahead of Dangerfiled yet again proves the opposite of your view is true. Its a minor detail that the player you keep saying isnt a gun is exceptionally highly rated by both the coaches and the players. Two groups who should have a decent understanding of football yoy'd think. Its not hard.

If every player was eligible they could attract votes, quite a few would take votes off Kelly with one being Dangerfield.

Its a stacked deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not getting the point.

Whatever it takes to get a top 5 pick is the maximum Kelly is worth.

BTW 13 and 22 would get pretty close to landing 5-7.

As soon as the Eagles hold a draft pick low enought to draft Kelly Geelong lose all real leverage.

Melbourne would draft Kelly at pick 3, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back