Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Simpson has come out and said that some of the top players were asked to take a cut in their salaries to get him in and they all agreed.

I'm aware of that but I was under the impression it was only a few players. Would have to be hefty cuts to get to the "almost $5 million" rumour reported by the Herald Sun. Having said that, Naitanui took a heft pay cut when he re-signed in June so that helps.

I'm aware of that but I was under the impression it was only a few players. Would have to be hefty cuts to get to the "almost $5 million" rumour reported by the Herald Sun. Having said that, Naitanui took a heft pay cut when he re-signed in June so that helps.
You don't need that much off a few of the guys if they give up $10k to $20k each.

The trouble with what's reported, the media has no idea at all and just pull figures out of thin air. Whatever you think someone's contract is worth, take 10% off it.

For people ITK, reporters have NFI.

You don't need that much off a few of the guys if they give up $10k to $20k each.

The trouble with what's reported, the media has no idea at all and just pull figures out of thin air. Whatever you think someone's contract is worth, take 10% off it.

For people ITK, reporters have NFI.

Especially when you consider the club. WC is notorious for not leaking stuff. Add to that Kelly isn't exactly going to be spreading what he earns as well.

So how do the reporters know? They don't. They just guess.

Especially when you consider the club. WC is notorious for not leaking stuff. Add to that Kelly isn't exactly going to be spreading what he earns as well.

Every club is pretty clever at packaging and not fully informing players deals. Why should they really? Although some people are happy to talk about their earnings

It would be even easier if they’ve back ended TK’s contract slightly.

650k, 750k, 850k, 850k, 950k, 950k gets you to 5m over 6 years pretty easily.

I think it was Brian Cook who, when faced with a young player aggressively demanding an increase, pulled Corey Enright into the office and asked Enright - probably the best half-back since at least McLeod if not longer - what he was getting paid... and then asked the young player if he was worth more than Corey Enright.

At least, I think it was Enright.

That's pretty baller, love it. :D

Because of sheer weight of numbers.

Put it this way: West Coast currently have picks 46 and 91. In all likelihood, that won't lead to a long-term AFL player.

Ergo, they are going to get one (extremely good) AFL player this year. That's fine, because he is excellent and they are gunning for a flag, but keep that up for too long and you'll run out of soldiers.

Geelong have four darts to chuck at a board. If luck runs against us, then we'll just land the one - damnit. But if you land three - like we did in '99 and '01 - then you set your club up for ten years.
Just like we did the year before last with all the Gold Coast picks they so kindly gave us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. He had meniscus surgery I think to help regrow damaged cartilage. I don't really know the details but it definately wasn't ACL related.
It was a while ago so my memory fails me (nothing to do with all the beers since then) but i do remember it was the reason he made it to Geelongs pick.

Most 'journalists' would get their information from different player managers (those not involved directly in that trade). Player managers would know ballpark figures and then I'm sure the media add another $50k-$100k depending on how big the player/story is.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

West Coast is not the club to be arrogantly chucking the "culture" label around, let's face it...

Kelly grew up a West Coast supporter, he didn't like Freo (least of all the Bennells), he had a choice and that's fine. No need to gloat.
You obviously have no idea about our culture apart from the Victorian biased headlines you have read. We have a very strong family culture and I know that the Kelly family will get a lot of help. I understand that you are making comments from a long way away but if you were a bit closer to the action you might see the reality

It was only about a decade ago that West Coast became the byword in the AFL for recreational drug abuse and you've just had a suspension for it again.

And look, I'm sure it's not exactly the same as it was in years gone by, but at least get off the high horse.
13 years ago. Keep living in the past but if it makes you feel better.

And your really gonna pin the club on one player smoking pot?

It was only about a decade ago that West Coast became the byword in the AFL for recreational drug abuse and you've just had a suspension for it again.

And look, I'm sure it's not exactly the same as it was in years gone by, but at least get off the high horse.
Sorry I didnt realise we were talking about more than a decade ago I thought we were discussing the current player Tim Kelly not the one who is a time traveller.
And if you think Willie is the only current player who smokes cannabis you are a bit delusional. Rioli was the only one silly enough to do it during the season and get caught.

West Coast don't make player contracts public. Some player agents might, but the club doesn't.

Kelly is probably on anywhere from $500-700k. My guess is 6-something but it's just that, a guess. $5m over 6 years sounds like a journo special. Not that he's worth it or not, but $12.4m only goes so far and we've got a bunch of guys around his age signed up long term. $1m Gov, $1m Gaff, $833k Kelly etc adds up quickly.

Of course I would. Just player after player citing 'family reasons' when its just fact they have a massive contract offer and that's the reason they go home. Player should just tell it like it is and stop making s**t up.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
WC had less space than Geelong and far less than Freo.

Back