Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

While it would be funny if they did redraft him, I would rather they didn't. They made a point. Let it go now. Don't need his negativity to effect the building culture at the club. Time to move on and concentrate on those that do want to be there.

i think you’re ignoring the fact GC can re-draft him, and then get a trade for him next year

I am not ignoring it. As one of two clubs who may have a pick before Carlton in the PSD, the Suns may have the opportunity to re-draft him.

I am though dismissing it. It will not happen. He may end up at the Demons, but he will not end up back at the Suns.

Cochrane can huff and puff all he likes, and supporters on here can argue the possibilities all they like, but I think we all know it won't happen.

I can’t see Gold Coast going this far and not following on with it. They will draft him again and do the merry go round again with Carlton in a years time where Carlton will pay what they need to.

If Martin doesn’t want to play for Gold Coasy then he plays NEAFL and misses out on a substantial amount of money from match payments. It’s very simple for Gold Coast and they hold all the cards here

Gold Coast hold about as many cards now as they did on the trade table - none.

If you honestly believe the Suns will redraft him, you have either completely misread the situation, you have ignored all logic and common sense, or you are simply trolling.

Martin will not be a Gold Coast listed player in 2020.

I am not ignoring it. As one of two clubs who may have a pick before Carlton in the PSD, the Suns may have the opportunity to re-draft him.

I am though dismissing it. It will not happen. He may end up at the Demons, but he will not end up back at the Suns.

Cochrane can huff and puff all he likes, and supporters on here can argue the possibilities all they like, but I think we all know it won't happen.

Gold Coast hold about as many cards now as they did on the trade table - none.

If you honestly believe the Suns will redraft him, you have either completely misread the situation, you have ignored all logic and common sense, or you are simply trolling.

Martin will not be a Gold Coast listed player in 2020.

I would have been trolling too if I had said 3 days ago that Gold Coast won’t trade and will send him to the PSD if they don’t get the deal they won’t..... yet here we are

I would have been trolling too if I had said 3 days ago that Gold Coast won’t trade and will send him to the PSD if they don’t get the deal they won’t..... yet here we are

If you genuinely cannot see the difference, there simply is no need for further discussion with you.

You're not Tony Cochrane are you? Not many others seriously believe they'll re-draft him.

Any Carlton fans nervous about GCS & AFL being in kahootz about getting him back onto the GCS list so they can get first round compo as RFA in the future? The Gilluminati is watching!

Any Carlton fans nervous about GCS & AFL being in kahootz about getting him back onto the GCS list so they can get first round compo as RFA in the future? The Gilluminati is watching!
Nope. Think I found out enough the AFL and Gold Coast realise a lot of s**t went on that should not have and they would be outed if any such other s**t went down after what happened already.

If anything they may realise error of their ways, allow him to be de-listed and picked up as free agent so he does not need to go through pre=season draft.

Will watch with interest now realise some weird s**t went on that should not have.

Do you follow the Melbourne Bigfooty page? Your own resident ITK has said Melbourne are out.
I didn’t know the big footy page is the actual club. Believe me the club is talking to Jack

Anybody else believe that this martin thing could mean the end of the psd ?

Getting rid of it would certainly relieve alot of issue's with this type of thing

Is there a need for it these days with live trading on the night available a club could get their player in the draft by trading piks with other teams

Overs in your eyes, your objectivity is not a given.
If the gamble works for you, happy days. If it doesn’t, it won’t play as well.
Don’t think that is likely you miss out, but the club had the opportunity to avoid the PR look (which was hugely overblown,fwiw) by making or accepting an equitable offer as tabled.
Not sure how much impact the club getting players to openly commit to them and then leaving them standing at the altar will have on future recruiting, but it makes little sense to risk anything on that front unnecessarily when you can just get a fair deal done upfront.
And it’s not about GCS ‘showing up’ anyone or grandstanding, it’s about not being a soft touch, which is a line GCS is entitled to pursue.
Find the reaction of some Carlton fans bizarrely overemotional and defensive.
Don’t understand why.

I guess my definition and your definition of equitable differ.

If we pay overs, or the trade that GC asked for, we get a massive battering by the media anyway.

Both Papley and Martin’s managers couldn’t be more happy with how we handled the situations. Papley was disappointing but effectively out of our hands, we are in with a good shot next year. Martin still has his heart set on us and will most likely get to us.

I didn’t know the big footy page is the actual club. Believe me the club is talking to Jack
Martin as of right now will be at Carlton. However, Dees do have the cap space and are planning on putting forward their best case. Stephen May who is mates with Martin will be pivotal as well as Neville Jetta who is an influential leader among the indigenous players. We're having a crack, but the club won't draft him if he's firm on Carlton being his only destination. Carlton should still get their man, but it's nervous times. May will be key for Dees..

The way i see it, trading is about 30% luck

If Carlton get lucky an get Martin in the PSD then i think that there trade period was a big win. They effectively get Betts, Pittonent, Martin & possibly Newnes for a few late pick downgrades. Missing out on Papley kinda sucks, but if he was going to cost pick 9 - then i think its a blessing in disguise

If the Blues are unlucky and miss out on Martin in the PSD - then yep, their pre-season stunk like big foots dick

It sucks for the Blues that Dan Butler preferred the Saints, he is a great little player and would have solved their small forward problem.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess my definition and your definition of equitable differ.

If we pay overs, or the trade that GC asked for, we get a massive battering by the media anyway.

Both Papley and Martin’s managers couldn’t be more happy with how we handled the situations. Papley was disappointing but effectively out of our hands, we are in with a good shot next year. Martin still has his heart set on us and will most likely get to us.

Reckon we can agree to disagree on the trades offered.
Agree you’re a 95%+ chance to land Martin and it will be interesting to see how he goes in a team which should take another step forward.
Papley depended on Sydney being willing to do a deal, which they probably never really were. No idea if Silvagni put any reasonable offers to them.

In hindsight, it was a negotiation bound to fail. A win-win became impossible once the AFL turned water into wine for GCS. Suddenly, the relative value of draft picks was unequal; while only top picks had shine for GCS, for the Blues, who’ve been worse than GCS recently, it would’ve been utter negligence to part with a top 10 for a player like Martin.

Maybe if the AFL filled Carlton’s stocking with first rounders, they could’ve done the deal, but in those unequal circumstances, like a middle aged man ambitiously trying on a belt from his 20’s ... the two ends were just never going to meet.

Everyone has their own take on GCS’ stance. Mine is that it shows a club that still has a measure of dysfunction. Strong clubs don’t force their uncontracted into the PSD and then carry on publicly abt it. I can see why it’s a bemusing situation for opposition posters, but not much to see here. Carlton will get their man and keep their picks.

Last edited:

Not in the slightest. On the contrary, if anything, I can imagine Gil would be quietly issuing GCS with instructions not to embark on such a flagrant restraint of trade. The question will be, do they bite the hand that feeds them?

Is the afl considering a post pre-season trading period in feb?

although Gold Coast are talking about re-drafting Martin I can only see that happening as a way to force a trade.

eg they redraft Martin in the pre-season draft just to force Carlton to trade for him on the eve of the season.Would be a ballsy move but we have seen that Gold Coast are willing to be ballsy

If the gamble works for you, happy days. If it doesn’t, it won’t play as well.
Don’t think that is likely you miss out, but the club had the opportunity to avoid the PR look (which was hugely overblown,fwiw) by making or accepting an equitable offer as tabled.
Not sure how much impact the club getting players to openly commit to them and then leaving them standing at the altar will have on future recruiting, but it makes little sense to risk anything on that front unnecessarily when you can just get a fair deal done upfront.
And it’s not about GCS ‘showing up’ anyone or grandstanding, it’s about not being a soft touch, which is a line GCS is entitled to pursue.
Find the reaction of some Carlton fans bizarrely overemotional and defensive.
Don’t understand why.

Don’t really understand your view.

Seems the only person in the entire AFL that thought Jack Martin was worth an R1 Pick was Cochrane.

Outcome reflects more poorly on him than anyone else.

I can’t see Gold Coast going this far and not following on with it. They will draft him again and do the merry go round again with Carlton in a years time where Carlton will pay what they need to.

If Martin doesn’t want to play for Gold Coasy then he plays NEAFL and misses out on a substantial amount of money from match payments. It’s very simple for Gold Coast and they hold all the cards here
Come-on Drew. According to you, it was similarly simple when we last discussed whether Crows would make the 8; in that discussion, you also felt all the trade cards were held by a club other than the Blues. Don’t make the same mistake twice.

Tell me what options Jack has beyond any other player in the draft pool? Setting a financial figure? That’s it, and GC can choose to match it. I certainly would. The deal GC offered 15 for 9 was very fair - a second and 3rd rounder just means you don’t value jack as much as GC do. Hopefully like hell they redraft him. Clubs have targeted their players unmercifully and it’s just absolute BS.

Fair doesn't come into any equations with the GC after they were given that pick bounty by the AFL.

Clubs have targetted their players because the players can't wait to get the * out of there.

That's on them, not the other teams.

GWS have lost just as many players and high end talent and yet have actually used that to their advantage in using draft pick assets to bundle and move up in drafts.

I can't see GC redrafting him as it would be the dumbest move ever.

To lose their advantage of having first pick to bring in an uncontracted player who wants to be there for multiple years going forward only to redraft someone who doesn't want to be there would just highlight perfectly a hopelessly ran club.

I can't see GC redrafting him as it would be the dumbest move ever.

To lose their advantage of having first pick to bring in an uncontracted player who wants to be there for multiple years going forward only to redraft someone who doesn't want to be there would just highlight perfectly a hopelessly ran club.

They won't make it easy either. Haven't delisted him yet have they?

Jesus, some of the posting in here is bizarre.
Likelihood is he gets where he wants to go.
There’s a chance he goes somewhere else.
That there’s a chance in the first place is down to how Carlton negotiated with GCS.
If they wanted to be certain of it, they could have accepted GCS’ offer.
GCS’ offer was not highway robbery and no amount of revisionist history is going to change that.
If he gets there, Carlton fans can laud SOS for his 4D chess if they like, makes no difference in the end.
Classic biased Collingwood supporter commentary on Carlton situation. Classic.

Balance your comments up with “Gold Coast could have accepted what was a fair deal from Carlton and in that way avoided losing him for nothing.”

Yet to see a balanced post from your fan base on this situation. Just one sided dribble. Yet you don’t even see how one sided and biased you are.

“Blues could have taken him for something they didn’t want. Maybe they wanted to hang on to that top 10 pick because there’s a kid there they value. But they risk losing Martin because of it. On the flip side Gold Coast have probably lost him for nothing, but have calculated it sends a warning to other clubs.”

Like try writing something like that before allowing your pathetic anti-Carlton sentiment to come dribbling out in feigned shock and disbelief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back